True or False: You have to run a pro-style offense and throw 100 times per game

blazer1set

2 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Thanks for the responses guys.      99% of TN high school teams do not have a D1 QB or D1 receivers, and yet the coaches still want them to play like Tom Brady.      These kids are still trying to learn what the cosine of theta has to do with the War of 1812, they do not have the luxury of being able to spend all day every day studying computer animated play sequences, looking at defensive schemes and adjusting, etc.      And yet most HS coaches try to install offenses that focus on dozens of formations and....    well you get the idea.     I agree that you design the offense around your strengths as per personnel, but my suspicion is that 99% of teams are making it way too complicated and trying to mimic their favorite NFL team.     Someone mentioned above that Oakland did not complete a single pass last night against Maryville...  huh????   And yet they are going to the title game next week.     

Well, it does help to have tremendous blockers and about 3 backs that run 4.4 type 40s. Lol

1 minute ago, SweetScience said:

Well, it does help to have tremendous blockers and about 3 backs that run 4.4 type 40s. Lol

For sure, I guess the point is that I believe 99% of high schools make things way too complicated instead of focusing on running a few plays well.     Lining up in a wishbone or something old-school is not pretty, not flashy, not something Mahomes would do, but these are 16-17 year old kids not NFL superstars.             In the end it doesn't matter, 99% of HS teams are going to keep trying to emulate the pro's and sitting at home eating turkey leftovers on friday....

12 hours ago, blazer1set said:

True or False:  You have to run a pro-style offense and throw 100 times per game... ?

Is it possible for a high school team to make it to the title game by doing something as mundane as running it 95% of the plays?

Balanced offense, and being able to run or throw out of the same formation. Even better if the QB can break down the defense and RPO.

Just now, blazer1set said:

For sure, I guess the point is that I believe 99% of high schools make things way too complicated instead of focusing on running a few plays well.     Lining up in a wishbone or something old-school is not pretty, not flashy, not something Mahomes would do, but these are 16-17 year old kids not NFL superstars.             In the end it doesn't matter, 99% of HS teams are going to keep trying to emulate the pro's and sitting at home eating turkey leftovers on friday....

Yeah, I get your point, but at the end of the day, some teams just have more talent than others. Generally, that’s what it boils down to. Totally get what you’re saying though. It’s only guys like Quarles (a once in a lifetime type coach) that are great enough to overcome talent discrepancies.

On 11/26/2022 at 10:56 AM, blazer1set said:

As someone who has coached HS ball for a decade now, I completely agree with you.

However, I'll point out that a lot of these teams trying to throw the ball all over the field in HS are doing it for reasons other than winning.  A lot of coaches feel a ton of pressure from parents (and, by extension, school administration) to put the ball in the air.  WRs' parents don't like to watch their kids block or ride the bench all night.  A lot of coaches also fear that kids won't come out to play in "old school" offenses now, though I personally find that to be false.  Then you have coaches who take over programs with lousy weight programs who feel their OL are just incapable of run blocking the opponents.

When West won state a few years back running the veer, parents blamed the offense for "holding the team back" and ran off their coach as soon as they took home the gold ball.  You just can't please some people and the coaches in the stands will always think they know more than the coaches on the field.

That's not to say you can't win by throwing a ton in HS.  If you have a very good QB or if you're just really good at coaching and developing QBs and WRs (largely by putting them in favorable spots and trying to limit/eliminate tough and dangerous throws), and at calling that offense so you have answers to heavy blitzes or 3 man rushes, you can usually make it work well enough to win... but winning it all with that offense is usually dependent upon who you've got at QB.

Hampton made it to state last year by just pounding the rock out of the Power I when they would have won maybe 3 games running some "grip it and rip it" type of spread offense... but then they got shredded by a 5* Alabama recruit QB and his D1 receivers slinging it all over the field in the actual title game.

Edited by TrenchWarrior

55 minutes ago, TrenchWarrior said:

As someone who has coached HS ball for a decade now, I completely agree with you.

However, I'll point out that a lot of these teams trying to throw the ball all over the field in HS are doing it for reasons other than winning.  A lot of coaches feel a ton of pressure from parents (and, by extension, school administration) to put the ball in the air.  WRs' parents don't like to watch their kids block or ride the bench all night.  A lot of coaches also fear that kids won't come out to play in "old school" offenses now, though I personally find that to be false.  Then you have coaches who take over programs with lousy weight programs who feel their OL are just incapable of run blocking the opponents.

When West won state a few years back running the veer, parents blamed the offense for "holding the team back" and ran off their coach as soon as they took home the gold ball.  You just can't please some people and the coaches in the stands will always think they know more than the coaches on the field.

That's not to say you can't win by throwing a ton in HS.  If you have a very good QB or if you're just really good at coaching and developing QBs and WRs (largely by putting them in favorable spots and trying to limit/eliminate tough and dangerous throws), and at calling that offense so you have answers to heavy blitzes or 3 man rushes, you can usually make it work well enough to win... but winning it all with that offense is usually dependent upon who you've got at QB.

Hampton made it to state last year by just pounding the rock out of the Power I when they would have won maybe 3 games running some "grip it and rip it" type of spread offense... but then they got shredded by a 5* Alabama recruit QB and his D1 receivers slinging it all over the field in the actual title game.

Thanks so much, sure appreciate your insight.       Sounds like you and I are on the same page on this, i.e., if you happen to have D1 QB and WR's then by all means run that offense, otherwise it's going to be a round peg/square hole type of thing and you would be much better off going old school and keep it simple.     But as you say, the helicopter parents, donors, etc. all want to see the next Tom Brady running around out there more than they want to see a gold ball in the trophy case.       It will be interesting to watch today and tomorrow and see how the best teams in the state are going to do it......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Thanks so much, sure appreciate your insight.       Sounds like you and I are on the same page on this, i.e., if you happen to have D1 QB and WR's then by all means run that offense, otherwise it's going to be a round peg/square hole type of thing and you would be much better off going old school and keep it simple.     But as you say, the helicopter parents, donors, etc. all want to see the next Tom Brady running around out there more than they want to see a gold ball in the trophy case.       It will be interesting to watch today and tomorrow and see how the best teams in the state are going to do it......

I don't think you necessarily *have* to have a D1 QB and WRs, but it certainly helps.

You need to be able to develop WRs.  That's mostly about technique and coaching with the proper drills and reps in practice.  There's a lot more to it than just putting some athletic kid out there and playing pitch and catch.  Generally, while HS WRs are coached better now than they used to be 10-15 years ago, a lot of schools still don't do a good job of developing them.

As for QBs... you can throw a ton with a "pretty good" HS QB, but you need to play to his strengths and within his limits.  A typical HS QB is not going to be dropping Hendon Hooker-style dimes 40 yards downfield to the opposite sideline.  He's going to need to throw a bunch of high-percentage screens and safe dinks/dunks if you want to move the ball primarily through the air.

That gets a lot harder against the good teams you have to beat on the way to a championship.  Personally, I'd rather play my best players at RB and QB so I can make sure they have the ball in their hands 20+ times in big games, rather than putting them at WR where they might be lucky to touch the ball 3-4 times.

Edited by TrenchWarrior

On 11/25/2022 at 9:32 PM, blazer1set said:

True or False:  You have to run a pro-style offense and throw 100 times per game... ?

Is it possible for a high school team to make it to the title game by doing something as mundane as running it 95% of the plays?

False to answer you question, that’s obviously been answered plenty on here. What I don’t like is a lot of teams, mine included (Springfield), running strictly out of the gun. I think it creates bad situational football especially in short yardage situations when you never go under center. I’ve never understood it. 

11 minutes ago, DbCooper said:

False to answer you question, that’s obviously been answered plenty on here. What I don’t like is a lot of teams, mine included (Springfield), running strictly out of the gun. I think it creates bad situational football especially in short yardage situations when you never go under center. I’ve never understood it. 

agreed