Pickett Co. 5-0...17 threes against Smith Co. tonight.

bobcatfan300

6 hours ago, bobcatfan300 said:

Gage Harris had 9 threes and Jacob Amonett had 5 with other players adding 3 more for 17  in their 68-46 win over 2A Smith Co. They had 16 in their 64-41 win over 3A Cumberland Co., 12 in their 79-50 win over Van Buren Co, 9 in their 55-39 win over 3A Scott,  and 14 in their 84-43 win over Jellico.

If they keep it up they may have a chance at the State record held by White County. That team also had the most threes(31) in a single game. Good luck.

I got a chance to watch PC play last Friday night and they reminded me of two teams. I'm going way back here, but they reminded me of the 1997 Upperman team (that team was rather small and a team that did not look intimidating but they swarmed on defense; PC doesn't have the post game they did though) and the 2013 Goodpasture team (the one that shot lots of threes). If they can figure out how to defend the post, this PC team might be the best team they've had in years.

On 11/27/2022 at 5:53 AM, 85warrior said:

If they keep it up they may have a chance at the State record held by White County. That team also had the most threes(31) in a single game. Good luck.

I remember that and we talked about it after the Pickett game, but I doubt anyone will ever beat that White County achievement! That was an amazing team but got upset in the region tournament. Eric Mitchell is a great coach and also did a great job at Pickett County when he was there.

8 hours ago, CASC95 said:

I got a chance to watch PC play last Friday night and they reminded me of two teams. I'm going way back here, but they reminded me of the 1997 Upperman team (that team was rather small and a team that did not look intimidating but they swarmed on defense; PC doesn't have the post game they did though) and the 2013 Goodpasture team (the one that shot lots of threes). If they can figure out how to defend the post, this PC team might be the best team they've had in years.

Yes, after losing 4 starters from last year, a group that went to the state semifinals two years ago, I didn't expect PC to be this good. I knew they had a lot of talent, but their 3-point shooting and their smothering defense is outstanding. They are a young team as well. I remember that 1997 Upperman team. They made it to the state semifinals and lost to the eventual champion Perry County. I can't remember if they were the team that Clarkrange upset in the region finals. If so, they must have won their substate on the road to advance to the state. It could have been their next year's team.

4 hours ago, bobcatfan#1 said:

I remember that and we talked about it after the Pickett game, but I doubt anyone will ever beat that White County achievement! That was an amazing team but got upset in the region tournament. Eric Mitchell is a great coach and also did a great job at Pickett County when he was there.

Correct. We were 29-0 and were upset in the region semis by Bradley. We only needed a couple of more wins to get the NATIONAL record for 3's in a season.

17 hours ago, 85warrior said:

Correct. We were 29-0 and were upset in the region semis by Bradley. We only needed a couple of more wins to get the NATIONAL record for 3's in a season.

My friends and I still mention it every so often. I'm sure a lot of fans remember. I hated that White Co. lost since I'm always for Upper Cumberland teams and I've known Eric ever since he coached at Pickett Co.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 5:17 PM, bobcatfan#1 said:

Yes, after losing 4 starters from last year, a group that went to the state semifinals two years ago, I didn't expect PC to be this good. I knew they had a lot of talent, but their 3-point shooting and their smothering defense is outstanding. They are a young team as well. I remember that 1997 Upperman team. They made it to the state semifinals and lost to the eventual champion Perry County. I can't remember if they were the team that Clarkrange upset in the region finals. If so, they must have won their substate on the road to advance to the state. It could have been their next year's team.

Upperman hosted substate in 1997 and beat a really good DCA team on a last second buzzer beater.

On 11/28/2022 at 8:13 AM, CASC95 said:

On 11/28/2022 at 5:17 PM, bobcatfan#1 said:

Clarkrange upset is the following year in the regional semis putting us out of the post season.

On 12/1/2022 at 8:48 AM, QuickStrike said:

Upperman hosted substate in 1997 and beat a really good DCA team on a last second buzzer beater.

On 12/5/2022 at 12:49 AM, crow6424 said:

Clarkrange upset is the following year in the regional semis putting us out of the post season.

To this date, and because of this 1997 Upperman team, I do not assume ball playing skills based on the size of the team and how they look in warmups. I watched them drop, I believe around 107 against a Pickett Co. team (who scored in 70s, I believe) that year at Upperman. That team had just the right combination of post/defense/shooters. Great team.