2023 Henry County Patriots

BigRed88

22 hours ago, MSURacer said:

Agreed completely, but I like how the schedule shakes out overall. It's a pretty good mix of competition. Brighton and Ridgeway should provide a taste of the Memphis football that we would see in the playoffs. I actually like that we are keeping a Clarksville school on the schedule, especially with it being a longtime region foe like Northeast. Brentwood and Riverdale are schedule enhancers. Those are "iron sharpens iron" kind of games. Beech, Hendersonville, and Springfield speak for themselves. Depending on how long this region stays together, those three and us should be a pretty consistent quartet of playoff teams, no disrespect to Portland or Hunters Lane.  

toughest Region in class 5A IMHO

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheCommissioner said:

can you post our whole schedule?  Opponents and dates?

WEEK DAY DATE OPPONENT LOCATION
1 Fri Aug. 18 Greenbrier Home
2 Fri Aug. 25 Clarksville Away
3 Fri Sep. 1 Henry Co. (R) Away
4 Fri Sep. 8 Station Camp Home
5 Fri Sep. 15 Centinniel Away
6 Fri Sep. 22 Portland (R) Away
7 Fri Sep. 29 Hendersonville (R) Home
8 Fri Oct. 6 Hunters Lane (R) Away
9 Fri Oct. 13 Requested Open Date  
10 Fri Oct. 20 Gallatin Home
11 Thu Oct. 26 Beech (R) Home
Edited by Kevin38
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kevin38 said:

WEEK DAY DATE OPPONENT LOCATION
1 Fri Aug. 18 Greenbrier Home
2 Fri Aug. 25 Clarksville Away
3 Fri Sep. 1 Henry Co. (R) Away
4 Fri Sep. 8 Station Camp Home
5 Fri Sep. 15 Centinniel Away
6 Fri Sep. 22 Portland (R) Away
7 Fri Sep. 29 Hendersonville (R) Home
8 Fri Oct. 6 Hunters Lane (R) Away
9 Fri Oct. 13 Requested Open Date  
10 Fri Oct. 20 Gallatin Home
11 Thu Oct. 26 Beech (R) Home

thanks, Bud

• Upvote 1

I was curious about how many years Coach Counce has taught. Is he close to having 30 years in, because in Robertson County teachers can retire and keep their insurance, and would he have any interest in retiring? Is there a successor plan in place when he does choose to retire, like the current OC being groomed to step up, or would a coaching search be done? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JacketLover said:

I was curious about how many years Coach Counce has taught. Is he close to having 30 years in, because in Robertson County teachers can retire and keep their insurance, and would he have any interest in retiring? Is there a successor plan in place when he does choose to retire, like the current OC being groomed to step up, or would a coaching search be done? 

I don’t think he has 30 years yet, I believe he is around 50. 

10 hours ago, JacketLover said:

Idk how long he’s been teaching, but I don’t see Counce retiring any time soon. He’s not very old, and he’s only been a head coach for 8 years. He could easily coach another 15 years if he wants to. 

• 1 month later...

Blast from the past for any old timers. I came across this on YouTube looking at old Travis Stephens UT videos. 

1995 Northeast @ Henry County. It's just highlights. 

It was a loss for the Big Red but NE was a giant that year. HC was pretty dang good too. This was probably the last "really good" team we had before Gaddis. #34 for the Eagles is Vol legend Travis Stephens, whose YouTube channel this appears to be. The '94 game is on there as well. 

Edited by MSURacer

On 1/20/2023 at 10:21 PM, MSURacer said:

Blast from the past for any old timers. I came across this on YouTube looking at old Travis Stephens UT videos. 

1995 Northeast @ Henry County. It's just highlights. 

It was a loss for the Big Red but NE was a giant that year. HC was pretty dang good too. This was probably the last "really good" team we had before Gaddis. #34 for the Eagles is Vol legend Travis Stephens, whose YouTube channel this appears to be. The '94 game is on there as well. 

Great find, thanks for posting. I’ll have to watch both of those. Didn’t we win one of those games and lose one?

5 hours ago, SEC1rules said:

Great find, thanks for posting. I’ll have to watch both of those. Didn’t we win one of those games and lose one?

Northeast won both of those meetings. '94 was a 41-0 thumping. '95 was a more respectable 24-14. But it's hard to overstate how good NE was that year. I remember that team well. It was before the public-private split, and they lost to Brentwood Academy in the semifinals by a score of like 7-3.

They might have legitimately been the best public school team in the state that year besides Riverdale. 

5 minutes ago, MSURacer said:

Northeast won both of those meetings. '94 was a 41-0 thumping. '95 was a more respectable 24-14. But it's hard to overstate how good NE was that year. I remember that team well. It was before the public-private split, and they lost to Brentwood Academy in the semifinals by a score of like 7-3.

They might have legitimately been the best public school team in the state that year besides Riverdale. 

That was so long ago, I couldn’t  remember. I recall the 96 team being good but losing earlier in the playoffs than expected. 

The current Henry County basketball debacle is interesting. The team’s disciplinary issues seem to have finally caught up to them, resulting in the supposed dismissal of multiple seniors on the team. Disciplinary issues stemming from their on court actions, not hinting at anything outside of basketball, I have no knowledge of any of that. But the team’s on court actions this season have been have been less aligned with the saying, “That’s just basketball.” and more aligned with the ‘“just trying to start something,” mentality. No reason for high school athletes to be getting into arguments with opposing teams’ parents while on the court. Meanwhile, the new head coach does not display much sense of leadership in gaining control of the players, at times, even seeming oblivious to what’s transpiring around him on the court. Curious to hear other’s thoughts?