Lack of postseason competitiveness

Indian

Lack of postseason competitiveness   

61 members have voted

1. 1. Lack of postseason competitiveness

• Reduce the number of classes
    • Champions/high finishers over time move up, lower teams level teams move down
    • Nothing, leave everything as is
    • Radical reclassification, such as rural-urban, or a complete merit system

15 minutes ago, SaleCreekAD said:

I have for several years thought something like this might work, at least on the D1 side. 

Classes stay the same. 

TOP 2 only from each region make the playoffs. These 16 teams receive a week off. 

The first weekend after the regular season, all region 3rd and 4th place finishers play a “Bowl Game”. 3s host 4s. This is a one shot only game. Both teams are finished for the season after their Bowl Game.  The next week the playoffs start with 16 teams. 

Just my two cents.

I could go with this as well

In a five class, divides would be roughly to 400 in 1A, 625 in 2A, 925 in 3A, 1500 in 4A. It wouldn't take out all mismatches, by any means, but on average you'd expect the games to be more competitive. Plus less travel and other benefits. I don't think any of those enrollment differences would be excessive. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Indian said:

In a five class, divides would be roughly to 400 in 1A, 625 in 2A, 925 in 3A, 1500 in 4A. It wouldn't take out all mismatches, by any means, but on average you'd expect the games to be more competitive. Plus less travel and other benefits. I don't think any of those enrollment differences would be excessive. 

This is what I have been saying for awhile. Money hungry tssaa will not go for it though

4 minutes ago, Rockytoptomcat said:

This is what I have been saying for awhile. Money hungry tssaa will not go for it though

I can’t see some of the first round games making that much money anyway. You drop a 1-9 team going 400 miles round trip to get beat 75-0 with a running clock the second half, sounds like a positive. 

1 hour ago, Indian said:

The only thing most don't consider (TSSAA when formulating classifications, and posters when considering options) is something similar to what you have outlined yet involving percentages when setting cutoff numbers. Without publishing a novel, I'll just try to explain it as; there's less disadvantage from 1,500 to 2,500 enrollment when searching for 30 kids who are actually good football players than there is from 300 to 500, although the percentage is the same. There should be less gap between smaller enrollment schools than the larger classes for this reason, rather than list them numerically and divide them equally.

With the population base in Tennessee being 7.1 million there is absolutely no reason to have more than 4 divisions for football, basketball, volleyball, softball and baseball and that is with D1 & D2 being combined.  All individual sports such as cross country, wrestling, track & field, etc... would play in 1 division.

Class A:  Small rural public schools.  Absolutely no private schools, magnet schools or charter schools

Class AA:  public schools, charter schools, magnet schools and private schools that DO NOT offer financial aid or work study

Class AAA:  public schools, charter schools, magnet schools and small private schools that offer financial aid and or work study

Class AAAA:  public schools, charter schools, magnet schools and large private schools that offer financial aid and or work study

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

The fact that almost all of the public classification’s championship games are blowouts tell you all you need to know. Unfortunately it won’t change because the more games, the more money for TSSAA. I remember when only district champs made the playoffs and boy there were some good playoff games back then. Very watered down now and unless I have a kid/nephew/grandkid playing, my interest in watching has gone down drastically over the last several years 

Edited by Roooster

On 12/1/2022 at 10:10 AM, Indian said:

This right here is the best idea I've seen on this thread.. Is this similar to what basketball/baseball is now? I'm not too familiar with those.