Watson resigns at Gallatin

mondo44

Before I get into any of this, I want to say that I genuinely liked Chad.  He is a good man, and he cares deeply about his players.  I hope he has a ton of success at his next stop.  

The upcoming decisions that will be made are huge for Ron Becker and the administration at Gallatin.  This coaching search and subsequent hiring are vital to restoring a damaged relationship between Gallatin football and its supporting community/fanbase.  Our last 2 hires (only one of those being on Becker's watch) certainly didn't pan out.  I know Dr. Becker wants more than anyone to get this one right.  

Having said all that...  I've been keeping a running list for about the last 2 years (ever since Gallatin started running the flexbone-triple option) of my "wishlist" of potentially realistic coaches I could see leading the Green Wave.  They are as follows:

1.) Adam Caine       52-12 overall at Upperman
                     26-10 overall at Sequatchie County
Caine has done more with less, which is why he is my #1 pick.  No one will mistake Dunlap and Baxter as hotbeds of talent, yet AC has won at a 78% clip between these schools.  This is among the highest winning percentages in high school football today.

2.) Chris Smith      48-8 overall at Haywood
                     31-16 overall at Germantown
Smith probably won't even pick up the phone.  But the young man has won double digit games in each of his last 6 seasons.  That in itself is reason enough to contact him.

3.) JR Kirby         39-12 overall at Covington
                     15-7  overall at Munford
Another west TN guy who probably doesn't have much interest in moving to the Nashville area. But who out there just LOVES living in west TN???

4.) Brad Waggoner    18-7 overall at Gatlinburg-Pittman
                     19-8 overall at Trousdale County
I'm sure that everyone in Hartsville not named "Satterfield" wishes they had this guy back right now.  His offense puts up gaudy numbers, and he produced a QB this year with over 2900 yards through the air.

5.) Thomas Osteen    81-30 overall at Marshall County
Always fields a competitive team.  Several double digit win seasons.

6.) Matt Smith       93-44 overall at Hardin County
Multiple 10+ win seasons.  2800 yard passer this year (possibly his son though?)  Who wants to live in Savannah???

7.) *** This is my "outside the box" hire - But is also probably my #1B behind Caine ***
   Scott Martin      80-23 overall at Charleston, MS
                     41-24 overall at Kirk Academy MS
I think Scott Martin is actually get-able for Gallatin.   This is a guy who won 10+ games every year except 1 while at 3A Charleston - and that season was 9-4.  5 seasons of 12 or more wins between the 2 schools.  But my favorite stat is his 28-10 playoff record.  Martin is currently an assistant coach at a school in Oxford, and I spoke to someone earlier today who told me that Martin will be a head coach again at some point - given the right opportunity.

I understand that some, if not all of these men probably won't entertain the idea of coaching at Gallatin.  But these are the guys that I would make a phone call to.  Go Green Wave.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WaveGoodbye said:

Before I get into any of this, I want to say that I genuinely liked Chad.  He is a good man, and he cares deeply about his players.  I hope he has a ton of success at his next stop.  

The upcoming decisions that will be made are huge for Ron Becker and the administration at Gallatin.  This coaching search and subsequent hiring are vital to restoring a damaged relationship between Gallatin football and its supporting community/fanbase.  Our last 2 hires (only one of those being on Becker's watch) certainly didn't pan out.  I know Dr. Becker wants more than anyone to get this one right.  

Having said all that...  I've been keeping a running list for about the last 2 years (ever since Gallatin started running the flexbone-triple option) of my "wishlist" of potentially realistic coaches I could see leading the Green Wave.  They are as follows:

Caine has done more with less, which is why he is my #1 pick.  No one will mistake Dunlap and Baxter as hotbeds of talent, yet AC has won at a 78% clip between these schools.  This is among the highest winning percentages in high school football today.

Smith probably won't even pick up the phone.  But the young man has won double digit games in each of his last 6 seasons.  That in itself is reason enough to contact him.

15-7  overall at Munford
Another west TN guy who probably doesn't have much interest in moving to the Nashville area. But who out there just LOVES living in west TN???

I'm sure that everyone in Hartsville not named "Satterfield" wishes they had this guy back right now.  His offense puts up gaudy numbers, and he produced a QB this year with over 2900 yards through the air.

Multiple 10+ win seasons.  2800 yard passer this year (possibly his son though?)  Who wants to live in Savannah???

7.) *** This is my "outside the box" hire - But is also probably my #1B behind Caine ***
I think Scott Martin is actually get-able for Gallatin.   This is a guy who won 10+ games every year except 1 while at 3A Charleston - and that season was 9-4.  5 seasons of 12 or more wins between the 2 schools.  But my favorite stat is his 28-10 playoff record.  Martin is currently an assistant coach at a school in Oxford, and I spoke to someone earlier today who told me that Martin will be a head coach again at some point - given the right opportunity.

I understand that some, if not all of these men probably won't entertain the idea of coaching at Gallatin.  But these are the guys that I would make a phone call to.  Go Green Wave.

Nice list, I bet few on that list would listen...but can Green Wave offer enough $$$$$$?

21 minutes ago, kappy said:

Nice list, I bet few on that list would listen...but can Green Wave offer enough $$$$$$?

I agree some of these guys are not leaving unless the money is right. I know it is HS football, but I am willing to bet the booster club can supplement someone if they really want them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WaveGoodbye said:

15-7  overall at Munford

Why would someone not want to coach at Gallatin?  Does Gallatin have issues with the school board, administration, facilities, money supporting the program, etc… Is Gallatin High School open zoned where anyone from Sumner County would be allowed to attend GHS?  Does Sumner County allow residents from surrounding counties the opportunity to pay a nominal ($1500.00) out of counties resident fee to attend Gallatin High School?

8 hours ago, DarkKnight4 said:

Lol this is funny on so many levels . Looking to snatch him up first huh? PC gonna PC . Didn't once mention the topic , but mentioned the kid lol. Transfer U I see ya working !

Well dark Knight if you didn’t know I stay in the Gallatin area and I have a son who goes there and he actually brung this up. Also PC had a kid transfer to the wave a few year back. We have a stable of backs and don’t need one. Transfer U is on another part of town lol. The CR boys will tell you who. Before the Lebanon game  the kids was saying the HC stepping down.

Edited by FBfan26

28 minutes ago, cbg said:

Why would someone not want to coach at Gallatin?  Does Gallatin have issues with the school board, administration, facilities, money supporting the program, etc… Is Gallatin High School open zoned where anyone from Sumner County would be allowed to attend GHS?  Does Sumner County allow residents from surrounding counties the opportunity to pay a nominal ($1500.00) out of counties resident fee to attend Gallatin High School?

Idk but I was told years ago Gallatin is a gold mind/sleeping giant. The kids I see everyday is ridiculous when it comes to size and girth.