Watson resigns at Gallatin

mondo44

23 minutes ago, DwayneSherlin said:

As a former player from back in the "Hayday Era" in Gallatin, I personally just hope we hire a guy that can get a group of guys to play hard, play together and play to win together.  There is enough talent walking the halls of that school, that with the right coach and culture, it wouldn't take long to rebuild.   As far as the dust on the trophies, most of them are no longer in the school.  In my opinion, one of the biggest mistakes they ever did.  I spent countless hours looking at all the ones won before us and it was very motivating to add our own.  Say what you will about our program and most I probably agree with, but with the right guy it won't take long.  Just my 2 cents on the subject

Agreed on all parts. It's a rebuild, but it's also a special place to be around when it's rolling. Lots of people are invested and interested in the program. Lots of other places, the fans in the area don't care much whether the football is good or not.  

10 minutes ago, thegreatone36 said:

Agreed on all parts. It's a rebuild, but it's also a special place to be around when it's rolling. Lots of people are invested and interested in the program. Lots of other places, the fans in the area don't care much whether the football is good or not.  

I don’t say this to be disrespectful, but it hasn’t been rolling in a long time. There’s not a student in the building that knows anything about it being special, so it’s more than a rebuild, it’s a rebrand. The talent is there to make it a good program, but those kids have never seen that. You have to convince them it can be. A lot of changes have to be made for Gallatin to be relevant on a state level again. 

10 minutes ago, eers said:

I don’t say this to be disrespectful, but it hasn’t been rolling in a long time. There’s not a student in the building that knows anything about it being special, so it’s more than a rebuild, it’s a rebrand. The talent is there to make it a good program, but those kids have never seen that. You have to convince them it can be. A lot of changes have to be made for Gallatin to be relevant on a state level again. 

You are very correct.  We have come a very long way from the starters not even playing the 2nd half against Beech to next year not even playing them.  Totally agree

To be honest I'm sure there are a lot of people in Sumner County and surrounding areas deep down are worried that we DO get this one right.  All the post of the old tradition is obviously known by all of you and you know what is capable of being done here with the right person leading the way..  is there another Calvin Short or Jim Barron out there, I don't know, probably not but I hope there is someone with half their grit that will be leading us forward

19 minutes ago, DwayneSherlin said:

You are very correct.  We have come a very long way from the starters not even playing the 2nd half against Beech to next year not even playing them.  Totally agree

This just goes to show how important coaching is. Beech got the coaching hire right. And changed everybody's perspective of how anybody had ever viewed  that program. Lipscomb Academy was 2-8 just 4 short years ago. Now they are back to back State Champs. Tennessee (college level i know) was a 3-7 team 2 years ago. Year 2 under new Coach Heupel, led them to a #1 ranking, for a week albeit.

Coach Gentry at Lebanon. They were about as bad as it gets when it comes to football prior to him coming. Now, that's a much respected football team. 

So I don't think this is a project that would take years to turn around. The right guy could come in and start winning games, very quickly. 

Edited by thegreatone36

31 minutes ago, eers said:

That is the same point we were at before Coach Wilson came to Springfield.  The right person at the right spot can accomplish wonders 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

Disagree.  Take the time to get it right.  Got to have an opening in the building to get them on the actual campus.  I think the players will make an evaluation after the announcement not before.  Then they still have to move in another schools zone.  Not really worried about that at this point.  

I agree it needs to be the right choice. That definitely is priority. I just envision some private schools making contact selling greener pastures.

Edited by CommandoBlood100

2 hours ago, CommandoBlood100 said:

I agree it needs to be the right choice. That definitely is priority. I just envision some private schools making contact selling greener pastures.

Some might but I don’t want a one hit wonder.  Gallatin needs a program and culture builder. That will take time over several years.  Losing a few kids, if that, to maintain later is worth it.  

• Like 2