Region 1A 22-23

AllenAdams2201

27 minutes ago, crazzyness said:

Jan 2003. UH had a kid originally from Science Hill, Bradley was him name I believe. Big strong forward, and UH was like 17-0 and ranked #1 in the state.  Anyway, Bradley gets sick, and Coach Gordon doesn't want to play without him. So he decided to postpone the game because the roads were "too icy" up Stoney Creek. Even though Carter County Schools were in session that day, and the following day. 

Anyways, UH racked up a few more wins, then Unaka went to Brooks the next week and gave them their 1st L. UH only lost 5 games that year, and Unaka was the only team to beat them at Brooks. Their only other loses were @ Roan Mtn, up Stoney Creek, against Cloudland in the district tournament, and Greenfield in the State Semi-finals.

I never knew this being honest with you, how much of a ball player was this Bradley kid?

12 minutes ago, CharlesGabrial1982 said:

I never knew this being honest with you, how much of a ball player was this Bradley kid?

Brandon Bradley I believe... Lord it's been 20 years, can't remember too much. 6'6-6'7 and strong. Did most his work in the post. Was all-state that season. Surely he went somewhere NAIA or D3 to play ball, but I can't remember. If you defended him physically and harassed him, you could get in his head and throw off his game. Which is one reason Unaka and Cloudland both beat them twice that year. Both those teams played hard and tenacious in your face defense back in those days. Their post players played mean, like football linemen. 

34 minutes ago, crazzyness said:

Brandon Bradley I believe... Lord it's been 20 years, can't remember too much. 6'6-6'7 and strong. Did most his work in the post. Was all-state that season. Surely he went somewhere NAIA or D3 to play ball, but I can't remember. If you defended him physically and harassed him, you could get in his head and throw off his game. Which is one reason Unaka and Cloudland both beat them twice that year. Both those teams played hard and tenacious in your face defense back in those days. Their post players played mean, like football linemen. 

Oh yea, I can’t imagine the type of physically that unaka and cloudland brought back in those days, was he up there with Meredith as far as skill and talent?

5 hours ago, CharlesGabrial1982 said:

Oh yea, I can’t imagine the type of physically that unaka and cloudland brought back in those days, was he up there with Meredith as far as skill and talent?

If I remember correctly, I was still a couple years away from being at the high school at the time. Bradley wasn’t super skilled , but he was big, strong and pretty athletic so around the rim he was a handful. I remember him having a monster two hand dunk at one point at Unaka I believe. I think I was in 6th grade at the time, maybe 7th and that was the first game I remember seeing someone dunk in high school. 

3 hours ago, creekerballer said:

If I remember correctly, I was still a couple years away from being at the high school at the time. Bradley wasn’t super skilled , but he was big, strong and pretty athletic so around the rim he was a handful. I remember him having a monster two hand dunk at one point at Unaka I believe. I think I was in 6th grade at the time, maybe 7th and that was the first game I remember seeing someone dunk in high school. 

Kid sounds like a stud!  Was he the best player y'all ever seen at UH?

8 hours ago, CharlesGabrial1982 said:

I assume that Woodacre guy was after Bradley?

Yeah, he was a senior in 07 I think. Good ball player and great shooter. Didn’t get rattled easily. Played at Lees-McRae after UH and I think he’s like 4th or 5th in 3 point baskets made all time there or maybe in a season. Not sure exactly, but he’s up there in top 5 in one of those categories at least. 

41 minutes ago, Tootie said:

Hampton pulled out a big win at Unicoi last night.  Unaka travels to Hampton on Friday to get the conference season rolling. Any thoughts?

I was in attendance at Unicoi, was a really really good game!  Buckeles and Campbell looked pretty tough to stop when they're going.  Unicoi had a solid crowd and performance in general, but Hampton wasn't rattled.  I agree with RodgerDodger with how Unaka can be scrappy at times, but I say Hampton will win by at least 25 maybe more.  Unaka is very well coached, but I don't know if they have much match for hampton inside the dog house.