Would it be fair to allow all High schools to recruit up to two players a year?

Fawhy

I'm just wondering would it be fair to let all high schools recruit up to two players a year. What type of rules would need to be utilized to make it fair? Just looking at private schools and their ability to recruit, I wonder could it work for public schools as well?

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Fawhy said:

I'm just wondering would it be fair to let all high schools recruit up to two players a year. What type of rules would need to be utilized to make it fair? Just looking at private schools and their ability to recruit, I wonder could it work for public schools as well?

Pandoras Box. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Fawhy said:

What would be the major issues you think?

It would never stay at two players. In no time it would end up full blown recruiting. Schools with the most money/rich boosters would hoard all the best players. Get a good paying job because your son is a good basketball player, then get laid off when he graduates. The local Johnny who's paid his dues and earned a starting position then gets benched because he was "recruited over". Pretty soon everybody gets a bad taste in their mouth concerning recruiting and it no longer is a community thing and people stop coming out to support the team.

14 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

It would never stay at two players. In no time it would end up full blown recruiting. Schools with the most money/rich boosters would hoard all the best players. Get a good paying job because your son is a good basketball player, then get laid off when he graduates. The local Johnny who's paid his dues and earned a starting position then gets benched because he was "recruited over". Pretty soon everybody gets a bad taste in their mouth concerning recruiting and it no longer is a community thing and people stop coming out to support the team.

This is Memphis/Shelby County pretty much without the good paying job part. 

Here is how I can see it going. Recruit two kids (within the rules) then those two kids recruit other kids from the area and you have 1-2 schools (depending on rural, suburban, urban factors) that have all the players. In a few years the recruited players will become unhappy for some reason and transfer then the talent shifts to another school. This will happen every 5-6 years and there won't be any solid base for "programs" to be built. It's just more emphasis on the win now, win at all costs attitude that we see dominating sports culture these days.

15 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

Here is how I can see it going. Recruit two kids (within the rules) then those two kids recruit other kids from the area and you have 1-2 schools (depending on rural, suburban, urban factors) that have all the players. In a few years the recruited players will become unhappy for some reason and transfer then the talent shifts to another school. This will happen every 5-6 years and there won't be any solid base for "programs" to be built. It's just more emphasis on the win now, win at all costs attitude that we see dominating sports culture these days.

This is Metro Nashville football now.

6 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

This is high school sports at every level right now. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SpottedGoat said:

This is high school sports at every level right now. 

There are some rural schools that don't really have much if any recruitment base. They will be the one that should focus on program building from the elementary level up. Usually those schools have strong community connections and wouldn't be affected like the suburban/urban schools. 

4 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

There are some rural schools that don't really have much if any recruitment base. They will be the one that should focus on program building from the elementary level up. Usually those schools have strong community connections and wouldn't be affected like the suburban/urban schools. 

It just don't get as much press in rural schools. Lots of country kids that live way out where, takes them just long to get to this school as it does that school. One school has a sports tradition of winning more than the other, which one would you go to if sports were king to you? It happens all the time. Such as here, you can go to any school in this county & have 4 to choose from. When I was in high school here in the 90's, there were 6 high school options. Three girls, two of which very good basketball players came completely across the county to go to school. While they were a bit shamed in their own very small hometown high school community for doing so, they were welcomed open arms in their new school and excited about playing on a larger stage with more educational opportunites. This has happened forever.

On 12/8/2022 at 1:54 PM, SpottedGoat said:

It just don't get as much press in rural schools. Lots of country kids that live way out where, takes them just long to get to this school as it does that school. One school has a sports tradition of winning more than the other, which one would you go to if sports were king to you? It happens all the time. Such as here, you can go to any school in this county & have 4 to choose from. When I was in high school here in the 90's, there were 6 high school options. Three girls, two of which very good basketball players came completely across the county to go to school. While they were a bit shamed in their own very small hometown high school community for doing so, they were welcomed open arms in their new school and excited about playing on a larger stage with more educational opportunites. This has happened forever.

I lived in the middle of no where and drove 15 miles to attend Dyer County High School (class of 98). I lived closer to Lake County High (12 miles) and was zoned for Obion Central High School.(24 miles) Dyersburg High (15 miles) was an option too.

Lake County was good at football.

Obion Central was a basketball school.

Dyersburg was football and baseball.

Dyer County was middle of the road in everything.

I had family or friends at all of those schools and we didn't have student athletes go between schools. This hasn't happened forever. My first teaching/coaching job was at Gleason in 2007 and there weren't kids bouncing around Weakley county then.