5 Teams in TN High School History That Defeat the 2022 Lipscomb Academy Gold Ball Team

Booger

12 hours ago, EHSfan04 said:

Ive stated this before when every team that wins state claims to be the best ever. By the way that BA team had a 6'7 365lb left tackle(Texas). Their defensive line was as follows: 6'4 255, 6'7 285, 6'2 245, 6'6 260. Not to mention 6'3 and 6'2 receivers. This is the tiny team from the 95 BA squad!

I was more of an MBA fan then, but that BA team was the best I have seen in the 46 years I have followed TN high school football(even better than the 72 TN High team). With the big uproar now over financial aid, let's remember then you could only have 3 football players on financial aid actually play. They had the best coaches and unbelievable talent!

That BA team had the most dominating defense this state has seen. The starting defense was loaded with college players. Here is their lineup and college they played at:

DE Air Force
DT MTSU
NG nowhere
DT Memphis
DE Tennessee
LB Nebraska
LB Georgia Military ( Tito Lee. The best player on the team, but didn't qualify)
CB Virginia Tech
CB Tennessee
SS Vanderbilt
FS Tennessee

Most of these guys played on offense too. An offense that had receivers that went to Ole Miss and Army, and a tackle that went to Texas.

thats the kinda supported responses to the argument this thread is intended to provide EHSFan04...

....Flea and sum of these T'ers ant old enuff nor do they no or have researched what was playin on these teams....Bias...some of these teams that could more likely defeat the 2022 LA squad...thos few they are...had guys large guys on the team.....and if somewhat smaller...they had guys so mean some of them LA kids would have stayed in the locker room at half time....

....and Booger figurin JRB would say that 9x All Pro lineman that was on that 73 Baylor squad couldnt make the LA lineup

....Booger just sayin :thumb:

Edited by Booger

12 hours ago, EHSfan04 said:

Ive stated this before when every team that wins state claims to be the best ever. By the way that BA team had a 6'7 365lb left tackle(Texas). Their defensive line was as follows: 6'4 255, 6'7 285, 6'2 245, 6'6 260. Not to mention 6'3 and 6'2 receivers. This is the tiny team from the 95 BA squad!

I was more of an MBA fan then, but that BA team was the best I have seen in the 46 years I have followed TN high school football(even better than the 72 TN High team). With the big uproar now over financial aid, let's remember then you could only have 3 football players on financial aid actually play. They had the best coaches and unbelievable talent!

That BA team had the most dominating defense this state has seen. The starting defense was loaded with college players. Here is their lineup and college they played at:

DE Air Force
DT MTSU
NG nowhere
DT Memphis
DE Tennessee
LB Nebraska
LB Georgia Military ( Tito Lee. The best player on the team, but didn't qualify)
CB Virginia Tech
CB Tennessee
SS Vanderbilt
FS Tennessee

Most of these guys played on offense too. An offense that had receivers that went to Ole Miss and Army, and a tackle that went to Texas.

That may be what they weigh now but certainly not then…bland was 320 at Texas…maybe he dropped 45 pounds in college.  That team almost dropped one to Clarksville NE in playoffs…score was 7-3 I think…thinking Thompson was a little better than that Clarksville team.  As much as you want to, you can’t compare teams from 30 years ago to today…schemes and strength programs are massively more advanced.  Plus that BA team played a very weak schedule….not their fault but just the facts.

Flea your original question asked if this LA was the greatest of all time. Hard to compare teams now with teams from the past or even this year. All the what ifs and match ups etc would be hard to compare. For the argument that teams in the past were not as athletic as todays teams, I would argue that todays teams wouldn't have made it out of the first half with teams of the past. While kids today may be more athletic, kids of the past were much much more tough. Is this the greatest team ever in TN, short answer is no. I will leave it at that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Booger said:

...and Booger figurin JRB would say that 9x All Pro lineman that was on that 73 Baylor squad couldnt make the LA lineup

Glad my lil green fella with the finger in the nose gets sarcasm. Often today’s yutes don’t understand the good to greats can play in any era as they would have access to the same training, weight room, diet, supplements, etc.

Edited by JRB

7 hours ago, Booger said:

thats the kinda supported responses to the argument this thread is intended to provide EHSFan04...

....Flea and sum of these T'ers ant old enuff nor do they no or have researched what was playin on these teams....Bias...some of these teams that could more likely defeat the 2022 LA squad...thos few they are...had guys large guys on the team.....and if somewhat smaller...they had guys so mean some of them LA kids would have stayed in the locker room at half time....

....and Booger figurin JRB would say that 9x All Pro lineman that was on that 73 Baylor squad couldnt make the LA lineup

Talking about the younger Mr. Hannah.  Booger, you must be starting the am off with some good Irish spirits. You are always smart, but spookily insightful as well. Yes, I was at the game.

Now a couple of Hannah stories. 1972 regional wrestling tournament in ChatTown. Dad was going over my bracket at 185. Dad pointed at a tall skinny kid and said his name is Hannah. I said he won’t be a factor and he wasn’t a factor in the tourney. I pointed to his older brother John and said Dad, that is John Hannah, he was massive as he was standing by himself. Dad, a 5’9 210 pound chunk of muscle said Hannah was not that tall and he would prove it. He goes over by Hannah, comes back and asks me what do you think? Your a midget dad.

Back to little brother, next year I see him in the state football championship game in Bristol. 6’5 or 6 (3-4 inches taller) and about 245. One of the best ballers on the field, and ABSOLUTELY THE BEST LINEMAN. What a difference 8 months and good genetics make.

Edited by noonesfool

1 hour ago, Flea21 said:

That may be what they weigh now but certainly not then…bland was 320 at Texas…maybe he dropped 45 pounds in college.  That team almost dropped one to Clarksville NE in playoffs…score was 7-3 I think…thinking Thompson was a little better than that Clarksville team.  As much as you want to, you can’t compare teams from 30 years ago to today…schemes and strength programs are massively more advanced.  Plus that BA team played a very weak schedule….not their fault but just the facts.

If you know that Richard Land was his name, that means you must have seen that team play. If you saw them live, there is no way that you really think this Lipscomb team would beat them. Also that Clarksville NE team was undefeated and 14th in the country at that time. Don't think we want to start debating weak schedules. BA only finished 3rd in the country that year, so probably not very good. I believe this Lipscomb team is the best since the MBA teams of early 2000's. Why not enjoy a really impressive season without beating your chest, and trying to bash entire decades? Loads of talent doesn't necessarily make you the best. The 2012 BA team had 5 NFL guys on the team(3 starters, including Jalen Ramsey), and still got beat.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, EHSfan04 said:

If you know that Richard Land was his name, that means you must have seen that team play. If you saw them live, there is no way that you really think this Lipscomb team would beat them. Also that Clarksville NE team was undefeated and 14th in the country at that time. Don't think we want to start debating weak schedules. BA only finished 3rd in the country that year, so probably not very good. I believe this Lipscomb team is the best since the MBA teams of early 2000's. Why not enjoy a really impressive season without beating your chest, and trying to bash entire decades? Loads of talent doesn't necessarily make you the best. The 2012 BA team had 5 NFL guys on the team(3 starters, including Jalen Ramsey), and still got beat.

All in good fun buddy…that’s what message boards are all about..didn’t mean to make you upset….not trying to beat my chest…just trying to have a fun debate.

Go watch MBA vs Clarksville NE 1995 on you tube and get back with me. This is not about LA.  It’s more about comparing eras.  They are small and SLOW compared to the top teams today.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Flea21 said:

All in good fun buddy…that’s what message boards are all about..didn’t mean to make you upset….not trying to beat my chest…just trying to have a fun debate.

Go watch MBA vs Clarksville NE 1995 on you tube and get back with me. This is not about LA.  It’s more about comparing eras.  They are small and SLOW compared to the top teams today.

I'll weigh in....cautiously...agree with Flea on massive differences in 30 years of high school football.  Yes that BA team was insane, but all in all todays athletes are more advanced.  Not saying this year's LA (or Baylor, MBA, McCallie for that matter) would beat them, but it is worth debating

Look at the 1995 NFL combine compared to the 2022 combine.  In 1995, no one ran a 4.4 or lower and only 4 ran 4.5 or faster.  In 2022, there were 32 at 4.4 or lower and 60 plus sub 4.5.

38 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

Talking about the younger Mr. Hannah.  Booger, you must be starting the am off with some good Irish spirits. You are always smart, but spookily insightful as well. Yes, I was at the game.

Now a couple of Hannah stories. 1972 regional wrestling tournament in ChatTown. Dad was going over my bracket at 185. Dad pointed at a tall skinny kid and said his name is Hannah. I said he won’t be a factor and he wasn’t in the tourney. I pointed to his older brother John and said Dad, that is John Hannah, he was massive as he was standing by himself. Dad, a 5’9 210 pound chunk of muscle said Hannah was not that tall and he would prove it. He goes over by Hannah, comes back and asks me what do you think? Your a midget dad.

Back to little brother, next year I see him in the state football championship game in Bristol. 6’5 or 6 (3-4 inches taller) and about 245. One of the best ballers on the field, and ABSOLUTELY THE BEST LINEMAN. What a difference 8 months and good genetics make.

an great story.....thanks for sharin that...noonesfool ant no spring chicken whitnisin that

Booger just sayin :thumb:

23 hours ago, Booger said:

Payin tention to how this goes down Flea21...anyone that nose FB nose size is a nice thing to possess....there were teams as far back as even 50's that Booger would lay down a bill with that lightnin rod inventors pic on it to win gainst your Lipscomb Academy..... a few of the teams maybe a lil smaller than LA would chew the meat of some of those monster linemen Flea21 keeps boastin bout.....there are teams maybe to the fact some of sum of those LA Mustangers might not even want to come back out after half time

.....Booger gonna throw out just a couple teams at Flea that are way back...and not even sayin they were the best in TN HS history....and they ant BA teams....Flea may have to go to grandfather flea look these up...or google them when flea is googlin who the lightnin rod inventor was..

.....late 58 Oakridge team.....national championship and state title...

....early 60's Chattanooga Central team....national championship and state title

.....1973 Baylor team

....2014 Whitehaven team

.....2017 Lausanne team

Booger just sayin :thumb:

....93 Cleveland team ...couldna been 92 or 94....on of them was sick great

...another team Lipscomb woulnt have beat......thinkin Cleveland might have beat a undefeated BA that was nation ranked that year.......Flea would have no ID on how big and fast that team was....

....maybe some of you east tn folks remember that team

..the list gets larger

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

Edited by Booger
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Flea21 said:

Im not upset. It pains me to speak well of BA, I just have never seen anything like it. I don't need to watch the video, I was there if it was the one in clarksville. After watching the games this weekend, I can easily say there were no better players than Will Bartholomew and Travis Stephens on any of those teams. If i recall, Bartholomew was not close to being the biggest guy on his team and he isn't small. Don't think i would ever call Travis Stephens or Tim Terry slow either. Generalizations are too vague. It wouldn't be accurate for me to assume every kid is soft now, just because the game itself is softer now. A lot of the kids i saw this weekend would get hurt playing some of these "small, slow" guys.