5 Teams in TN High School History That Defeat the 2022 Lipscomb Academy Gold Ball Team

Booger

1 minute ago, Booger said:

Booger will even toss in maybe the 93 Cleveland team as a team Lipscomb woulnt have beat....or maybe it was 92 (one of those early 90's cleveland teams was sick good.....thinkin Cleveland might have beat a undefeated BA that was nation ranked that year.......Flea would have no ID on how big and fast that team was....

....maybe some of you east tn folks remember that team

..the list gets larger

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

I would put that 93 team as the 4th best. They were ridiculous that year, and really good all surrounding years. They were huge and very fast. East TN guys let me know if these names ring any bells:

Dante Hickey, The Cobb Twins, Corey Prigmore, all of those huge linemen, and whoever that massive fullback was!

• Upvote 1

Some teams are really good together without all the next level talent.  There are teams in the 2000s that would give this year’s LA team a good game. One of the Alcoa teams during their 8 year run of gold balls. Lausanne during their 38 game winning streak with Eric Gray. Etc.

One of my favorite CPA games was against Peach Tree Ridge who had over 4K students and supposedly 18 D1 players. CPA punched them in the mouth on the first drive and never looked back. Alcoa still beat us in the championship. I think 2014 or 2018 CPA could give 2022 LA a good game.  

But, there is no mistaking the fact that LA compiled one of the best records / runs of all time this year. Very impressive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TTate said:

I'll weigh in....cautiously...agree with Flea on massive differences in 30 years of high school football.  Yes that BA team was insane, but all in all todays athletes are more advanced.  Not saying this year's LA (or Baylor, MBA, McCallie for that matter) would beat them, but it is worth debating

Look at the 1995 NFL combine compared to the 2022 combine.  In 1995, no one ran a 4.4 or lower and only 4 ran 4.5 or faster.  In 2022, there were 32 at 4.4 or lower and 60 plus sub 4.5.

I would add that the state of Tennessee is just a different animal than it was back then, especially D2-AAA.  I brought one of my old MBA teammates to the MBA-Baylor game this year.  He was in from out of town and doesn't follow it very closely anymore.  I pointed out all the future SEC/p5 players on the field and he was just dumbfounded.  Back when we were playing, a really good program might have 1 future P5 player on the roster...more than that was just really rare.  Most had none at all.  Now, you will see 5-6 future P5 guys (plus a bunch more FCS/G5/D3 players) every week in D2-AAA.  All these programs are pouring way more resources into football than they did back then.  Plus growth in the state, high quality of life here.  20+ years of having the Titans here has contributed also.  So many of those guys have remained here after their pro careers ended, and have their own kids playing, or are coaching and training kids.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, EHSfan04 said:

Ive stated this before when every team that wins state claims to be the best ever. By the way that BA team had a 6'7 365lb left tackle(Texas). Their defensive line was as follows: 6'4 255, 6'7 285, 6'2 245, 6'6 260. Not to mention 6'3 and 6'2 receivers. This is the tiny team from the 95 BA squad!

I was more of an MBA fan then, but that BA team was the best I have seen in the 46 years I have followed TN high school football(even better than the 72 TN High team). With the big uproar now over financial aid, let's remember then you could only have 3 football players on financial aid actually play. They had the best coaches and unbelievable talent!

That BA team had the most dominating defense this state has seen. The starting defense was loaded with college players. Here is their lineup and college they played at:

DE Air Force
DT MTSU
NG nowhere
DT Memphis
DE Tennessee
LB Nebraska
LB Georgia Military ( Tito Lee. The best player on the team, but didn't qualify)
CB Virginia Tech
CB Tennessee
SS Vanderbilt
FS Tennessee

Most of these guys played on offense too. An offense that had receivers that went to Ole Miss and Army, and a tackle that went to Texas.

And to think little Ol  Haywood County beat Brentwood Academy in 94. It was a great game! Then went on to lose to Cleveland 7-6 in the championship 

Edited by Rockytoptomcat

39 minutes ago, BreadTruck28 said:

Some teams are really good together without all the next level talent.  There are teams in the 2000s that would give this year’s LA team a good game. One of the Alcoa teams during their 8 year run of gold balls. Lausanne during their 38 game winning streak with Eric Gray. Etc.

One of my favorite CPA games was against Peach Tree Ridge who had over 4K students and supposedly 18 D1 players. CPA punched them in the mouth on the first drive and never looked back. Alcoa still beat us in the championship. I think 2014 or 2018 CPA could give 2022 LA a good game.  

But, there is no mistaking the fact that LA compiled one of the best records / runs of all time this year. Very impressive. 

really good to meet you last week!  hope to see you at another game soon!

57 minutes ago, BreadTruck28 said:

Agree with all.....

On 12/4/2022 at 1:10 PM, Flea21 said:

Not even worth googling…LA would be favored by 40 over all of them…maybe 30 on the Lausanne team.  Thought you were smarter than to compare teams from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s to todays teams.  LAs corners are bigger than their lines.

2022 Bama would beat 1975 Bama by 50.  This is not debatable.

Don't know that I would pull that trigger so fast - some 1946 & 1947 teams had a small advantage. Example: 1947 Bridgeport High School (Alabama, just outside of Chattanooga, across the line from South Pittsburg - consolidated with Stevenson to create North Jackson in 1979) team scrimmaged both McCallie and Baylor in the early fall of '47 - beating both soundly according to reports. That team finished 2-2-1 being unable to find enough opponents. The whole O / D line and backfield / LB had left for WWII when they turned 18 and came back home to "finish school & play football". I can still here the old guys chuckle about them boys from the fancy schools trying to run on them dirt poor farm boys - who had just come back from fighting a war.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EHSfan04 said:

Ive stated this before when every team that wins state claims to be the best ever. By the way that BA team had a 6'7 365lb left tackle(Texas). Their defensive line was as follows: 6'4 255, 6'7 285, 6'2 245, 6'6 260. Not to mention 6'3 and 6'2 receivers. This is the tiny team from the 95 BA squad!

I was more of an MBA fan then, but that BA team was the best I have seen in the 46 years I have followed TN high school football(even better than the 72 TN High team). With the big uproar now over financial aid, let's remember then you could only have 3 football players on financial aid actually play. They had the best coaches and unbelievable talent!

That BA team had the most dominating defense this state has seen. The starting defense was loaded with college players. Here is their lineup and college they played at:

DE Air Force
DT MTSU
NG nowhere
DT Memphis
DE Tennessee
LB Nebraska
LB Georgia Military ( Tito Lee. The best player on the team, but didn't qualify)
CB Virginia Tech
CB Tennessee
SS Vanderbilt
FS Tennessee

Most of these guys played on offense too. An offense that had receivers that went to Ole Miss and Army, and a tackle that went to Texas.

Tito Lee was one of the saddest stories I have ever known. RIP