See, I told you so.... (2023 edition)

blazer1set

1 minute ago, AllRegion said:

I get that, and you're right. I went out on a pretty big limb, but every year there's a team or so who puts it together a little bit unexpectedly, and I think that has a chance to be Oak Ridge next year. Maybe I'm putting too much faith in Cummings, but I couldn't go all favorites with my picks, because that's not how it usually ends up playing out. When push comes to shove, I wouldn't be surprised to see Powell or West represent the East in 5A next year, but I had to give just one for the list lol.

I'd have to go with West again.  With all their Mercy-ruled wins, the backups must have played a nearly full varsity schedule.  

Just now, ILB1999WHS said:

I'd have to go with West again.  With all their Mercy-ruled wins, the backups must have played a nearly full varsity schedule.  

Right? That's a great point too. Lamar Brown has them rolling- they're 50-7 since 2019, and I don't see it slowing down, so I can't blame you for calling the repeat

10 minutes ago, AllRegion said:

I get that, and you're right. I went out on a pretty big limb, but every year there's a team or so who puts it together a little bit unexpectedly, and I think that has a chance to be Oak Ridge next year. Maybe I'm putting too much faith in Cummings, but I couldn't go all favorites with my picks, because that's not how it usually ends up playing out. When push comes to shove, I wouldn't be surprised to see Powell or West represent the East in 5A next year, but I had to give just one for the list lol.

That's a fair point, Coach did make the final 8 in his first year with all new staff, new schemes, a ton of injury, and a brutal schedule that included Farragut, Bearden, DB, Powell and Greeneville.  OR returns a lot of skill and loses a good amount also.  OR will always have good skill players, the whole key is developing lineman and developing the whole team strength wise.  Until OR becomes a weight room program, I think they continue to come up short.  But, the right guy is in charge of the weight room now, and I also believe in our head coach.  He brought West Rebels from just bad to a five year run of quarters, semi, semi, state runners up and state champs.  

Edited by oridgecat

1 minute ago, oridgecat said:

That's a fair point, Coach did make the final 8 in his first year with all new staff, new schemes, a ton of injury, and a brutal schedule that included Farragut, Bearden, DB, Powell and Greeneville.  OR returns a lot of skill and loses a good amount also.  OR will always have good skill players, the whole key is developing lineman and developing the whole team strength wise.  Until OR becomes a weight room program, I think they continue to come up short.  But, the right guy is in charge of the weight room now, and I also believe in our head coach.  He brought West Rebels from just bad to a five year run of quarters, semi, semi, state runners up and state champs.  

We did improve drastically from 2021. Will be interesting to see how Scott has the guys after a full year as being the head man.

11 minutes ago, AllRegion said:

Right? That's a great point too. Lamar Brown has them rolling- they're 50-7 since 2019, and I don't see it slowing down, so I can't blame you for calling the repeat

of course, I would have picked Powell this year, and I would have been wrong.  It's really touch to say.

3 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

We did improve drastically from 2021. Will be interesting to see how Scott has the guys after a full year as being the head man.

The team improved in a lot of areas off the field.  I agree that a whole year of doing all the things that winning teams do and doing them in the right way will translate to better execution on the field in 2023. Still, need more big guys, lots more.   I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes on the staff as well.  

ILB, I had no doubt this West team would play for a championship. I knew that Powell would be terrific in the semi, but still had faith in the physicality of West up front on both sides.    I made my hotel reservations for Friday's championship game in August.  lol. Glad I didn't have to cancel them.   

• Like 1

I predict that Region 1 will see a lot of 5A hype around Boone and/or Crockett.    One or both of them will be ranked.   But....     With Region 2 having Powell, West and Central, R1 will be not have anyone make it to the 3rd round and only one R1 team makes it out of the 1st round.

Now let's move on to Region 1 6A...    expect a top 10 ranking for DB and/or Science Hill, but with Maryville being in Region 2 that is where it ends.

So bottom line is that nobody from R1 makes it past the 2nd round regardless of how much media hype there may be during the season.      As you are cruising on I-40 West there should be something on the Knox County line sign that says "Go Back" or "Do Not Cross"

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

I’ve just come to accept the fact that Oak Ridge is devoid of big linemen. It’s like a curse or something. Seriously, this has been an ongoing issue for what, 10 years or so now? Almost, at least.

Since 2005, it seems like Oak Ridge is always missing a piece somewhere, I think the 2005 team was the last complete team OR put on the field.  After that....One year it may be the secondary, then running backs or quarterback, and yes lately the lines. Especially depth in the lines, ability to replace injured linemen with a backup who could play. Last year in 2021, OR had two linemen go down quick with injuries, and the running game went nowhere, backs couldn't escape the backfield. Last season, in 2022, I thought they were better, I thought Ron Gray did a good job with what he had, but this line too had several mid-season injuries around the Powell = Greeneville time frame and the results showed it. They did better the last part of the season when those guys returned. There looked to be some decent size in the freshman and JV teams so hopefully some depth can be built there, It would be great of the OL and DL only went one way.  In 2023 Oak Ridge could be very good skill wise again, the quarterback has some experience and they have a good sophomore coming up behind him. Running back is good and receivers should be good.  On defense, linebacker is a big question after losing two good linebackers the last two years.  The secondary could be OK with some work. 

As for next year, Powell will be OK if indeed all their offensive lines return, those guys are hard to get by and are great on pass protection, but they will be green at quarterback and have lost some other good skill players. West will be good, but not anywhere near this year, they have a lot to replace.  Over in Clinton I am hearing "Year of the Dragon" again, All in all, too early to tell, there may be transfers, other things that help or hurt teams.

46 minutes ago, Whs1984 said:

Would love to see West repeat but that page team returns almost every one next year might be the other side of the state to bring a gold ball home

West freshman and sophomores are no joke...they hit that weight room hard and take that next step...i can see them playing the day after Thanksgiving...beyond that i dont know.

Glad to be Champs this year!

Edited by WestHigh4Life