See, I told you so.... (2023 edition)

blazer1set

2 hours ago, HTV said:

Bearden will be better.  

Farragut will be Farragut. 

But neither will come close to overtaking Maryville.  

To paraphrase the great Samuel Clemens (That's Mark Twain's real name for you young guys), The reports of Maryville's demise have been greatly exaggerated.  They aren't going anywhere.  

Just wishful thinking by most who say they are.

36 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Hope he sticks around at Powell as to go to a pasture with landmines all over it. There is such a pasture like this on Lonas in Knoxville. That pasture has someone with a finger up your behind preforming a weekly rectal examination for their country club members that absolutely will not listen to why their not on fair playing ground with the LA's of the private schools.

I am sure that private school money can be enticing.  Hard to see the landmines when your head is being pumped with bs about money and open recruiting.  

52 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

They hire a new coach.  And I can say, See I told you so!  

My guess is that they will be good year in year out, but not great.  I see the next couple years  like this:  5A football in this area is bad.  There are three teams year in and year out that stand above the rest and two of those will play in the semis with a chance to go to state.  Those three are West, Powell, and OR.  Should be the same next year.  Two of those teams will play each other twice.  Once regular and once playoffs, the winner of the semi plays for state.  It's hard for me to see that going any other direction.  Central could be in that mix soon with those huge freshmen classes coming in, then again they might be 6A by the time those freshmen are jrs. and srs. 

You really think that Powell team will be the same without Lowe calling the shots?  I just don't see it.  He is the puppet master of that program.  Without him, I see that program in trouble...especially if he goes to a private school and takes his staff with him. 

1 hour ago, footballgiant123 said:

You really think that Powell team will be the same without Lowe calling the shots?  I just don't see it.  He is the puppet master of that program.  Without him, I see that program in trouble...especially if he goes to a private school and takes his staff with him. 

Not saying that he is or isn't interested or Catholic in him at this point.  I don't have any idea.  

But Powell will be competitive with or without him.  Football is important there. There are a couple of coaches who I could see being hired in to that role.  

The new AD is very well connected in coaching circles.  

8 minutes ago, HTV said:

Not saying that he is or isn't interested or Catholic in him at this point.  I don't have any idea.  

But Powell will be competitive with or without him.  Football is important there. There are a couple of coaches who I could see being hired in to that role.  

The new AD is very well connected in coaching circles.  

Exactly. That's better than what I had.  

7 hours ago, oridgecat said:

5A football is so bad around here except for West, Powell and Oak Ridge.  They will be a quarter final team even if they're not very good.  Down Powell is still better than the rest of regions 2-3 5A.  

I think Central has a chance to get in that convo with the kids they have coming up through the ranks if they stay the course and play for Central.

On 12/5/2022 at 1:28 PM, oridgecat said:

That's a fair point, Coach did make the final 8 in his first year with all new staff, new schemes, a ton of injury, and a brutal schedule that included Farragut, Bearden, DB, Powell and Greeneville.  OR returns a lot of skill and loses a good amount also.  OR will always have good skill players, the whole key is developing lineman and developing the whole team strength wise.  Until OR becomes a weight room program, I think they continue to come up short.  But, the right guy is in charge of the weight room now, and I also believe in our head coach.  He brought West Rebels from just bad to a five year run of quarters, semi, semi, state runners up and state champs.  

You put it a lot better than I could, but I agree completely. I also fully admit my bias, because I am a big Ron Gray supporter- however, I think he will be able to get the play in the trenches turned around and that could be the piece to a potential run. All in all, I can't wait to see how the team looks after a whole offseason cycle with this staff.