West Tennessee Teams

sportsfan53ray

1 hour ago, westtn12 said:

Would a team throw a game to avoid being in a certain bracket? 

56 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts22 said:

It 100% depends on the coaches morality. I’ve seen it happen blatantly and sometimes in a less obvious way. Ex: coaches just sitting there doing no coaching or encouragement and getting technicals or subbing at inopportune times. In certain districts and regions it can and will benefit certain teams if you know you can’t beat a certain team in a win or go home situation they just run to the other bracket. I’ve seen HOF coaches do it and I’ve seen amateur coaches do it too. I just couldn’t live with myself if I was telling kids not to give 100%, it tells me they don’t have 100% faith in their players. 

Kharma will get you for doing stuff like that. Very easy to detect too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts22 said:

It 100% depends on the coaches morality. I’ve seen it happen blatantly and sometimes in a less obvious way. Ex: coaches just sitting there doing no coaching or encouragement and getting technicals or subbing at inopportune times. In certain districts and regions it can and will benefit certain teams if you know you can’t beat a certain team in a win or go home situation they just run to the other bracket. I’ve seen HOF coaches do it and I’ve seen amateur coaches do it too. I just couldn’t live with myself if I was telling kids not to give 100%, it tells me they don’t have 100% faith in their players. 

Around 10 years ago somebody did that near the Murfreesboro area and I think they ended up getting kicked out of the postseason for it. As a fan, I wouldn't want to pay my money to watch a team intentionally stall out at game (some team in Oklahoma did that a few weeks ago). I get the whole "strategy" and what not, but it's also a disgrace to the game. Main reason why I'm a fan of installing the shot clock, which really shouldn't effect a lot of teams if they play with good pace.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Around 10 years ago somebody did that near the Murfreesboro area and I think they ended up getting kicked out of the postseason for it. As a fan, I wouldn't want to pay my money to watch a team intentionally stall out at game (some team in Oklahoma did that a few weeks ago). I get the whole "strategy" and what not, but it's also a disgrace to the game. Main reason why I'm a fan of installing the shot clock, which really shouldn't effect a lot of teams if they play with good pace.

Yeah we all remember that. Got them both kicked out of the Tournament and fired. How could a coach continue to hold players accountable after doing something like that?? How could a player have confidence in winning a championship when the coach don’t have confidence and wants the easier route?? Kharma gets them. Always does. 

4 hours ago, westtn12 said:

I saw Gleason coach Sean Stepenson throw one to dodge Greenfield three years ago in the consolation game of the district and it backfired on him. It sends a bad message to your team and Gibson County blowed them out in the first game of the region.  I couldnt believe it but he did what he thought he had too I guess but it didnt look good on him.

Congratulations to Gibson County on a big win over Westview. 

Edited by Greenfieldfan

3 hours ago, westtn12 said:

I am thoroughly convinced that the FACS girls team did that last night in Memphis. After being trounced by TCA on Thursday, they were in the consolation game v Fayette Academy.  The winner would have to travel to the U of Webb to host a Tuesday game and the reward for winning that game will be going back on Friday to face U of Webb. The best player for FACS played the entire game against TCA. She was nowhere to be found for the Saturday game against FA as she was not dressed out, or even on the bench for FACS. Needless to say FACS lost the consolation game handily.  There may be a perfectly acceptable reason for the players absence. Nothing was ever said by anyone from FACS about the players condition. You can also see and understand why some would question what happened and the result that did happen. I have seen things like this happen in several different sports over the course of my almost 50 years of either playing, following, or covering high school sports. I guess we will never know the actual reason for the players absence

1 hour ago, Greenfieldfan said:

I saw Gleason coach Sean Stepenson throw one to dodge Greenfield three years ago in the consolation game of the district and it backfired on him, Gibson County blowed them out in the first game of the region.  I couldnt believe it but he did what he thought he had too I guess but it didnt look good on him.

Congratulations to Gibson County on a big win over Westview. 

Appreciate it. We played hard. Proud of our girls and coaches. Good luck to y’all in the Region. I watched yall’s 8th grader play a few weeks ago in a JV game. Y’all will enjoy watching her the next few years. She can go. 

2 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

I am thoroughly convinced that the FACS girls team did that last night in Memphis. After being trounced by TCA on Thursday, they were in the consolation game v Fayette Academy.  The winner would have to travel to the U of Webb to host a Tuesday game and the reward for winning that game will be going back on Friday to face U of Webb. The best player for FACS played the entire game against TCA. She was nowhere to be found for the Saturday game against FA as she was not dressed out, or even on the bench for FACS. Needless to say FACS lost the consolation game handily.  There may be a perfectly acceptable reason for the players absence. Nothing was ever said by anyone from FACS about the players condition. You can also see and understand why some would question what happened and the result that did happen. I have seen things like this happen in several different sports over the course of my almost 50 years of either playing, following, or covering high school sports. I guess we will never know the actual reason for the players absence

They pulled a page out of the NBA and she missed due to "left ear and pinky finger soreness"

10 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I remember someone trying to avoid I believe it was Blackman. Got in big trouble