West Tennessee Teams

sportsfan53ray

8 hours ago, VOLnWTN said:

I am starting to like our chances more and more now with Davis back. We have another big one Friday night.  McEwen comes to McKenzie.  They knocked off Dickson Co last night. We have beaten them already at their place without Savannah.

I like your chances too. Now the Wilkins’ don’t like to play zone and I usually don’t either but some times you have too. I think McKenzie may have to throw some zone in their arsenal because of their post situation. I seen Davis guarding ours last night and I don’t think you want her guarding the 6-1 post from Wayne County. I may be wrong but I watched Huntingdon’s poss  expose y’all pretty good. I think a good zone occasionally could help that. Westview I think is in the same boat but they play 2-3 zone all the time. 

26 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I like your chances too. Now the Wilkins’ don’t like to play zone and I usually don’t either but some times you have too. I think McKenzie may have to throw some zone in their arsenal because of their post situation. I seen Davis guarding ours last night and I don’t think you want her guarding the 6-1 post from Wayne County. I may be wrong but I watched Huntingdon’s poss  expose y’all pretty good. I think a good zone occasionally could help that. Westview I think is in the same boat but they play 2-3 zone all the time. 

Doesn't the McKenzie Wilkins play a lot of zone with his boys? 

2 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Maybe don’t watch them much. I expect his girls to play some.  

Yeah I don't know either I just saw them playing zone early last night against GC, but maybe that was to contain the 6'7" kid that's so good. I don't really know what type of zone the girls need to play tbh.  If you're talking contain post players that makes me think 2-3, but also that will allow teams to slow pace and I know they like to play fast. You've seen them probably as much as me, what are your thoughts? 

12 hours ago, VOLnWTN said:

I am starting to like our chances more and more now with Davis back. We have another big one Friday night.  McEwen comes to McKenzie.  They knocked off Dickson Co last night. We have beaten them already at their place without Savannah.

Hey why aren't the girls playing Westview tomorrow night too? 

3 hours ago, thebenchwarmer said:

Yeah I don't know either I just saw them playing zone early last night against GC, but maybe that was to contain the 6'7" kid that's so good. I don't really know what type of zone the girls need to play tbh.  If you're talking contain post players that makes me think 2-3, but also that will allow teams to slow pace and I know they like to play fast. You've seen them probably as much as me, what are your thoughts? 

Huntingdon’s posts put up 55 against them. Just saying. They had Davis guarding ours at times. Davis is a great player but I don’t know if I want her guarding a 6-1 post from Wayne County. They may not play zone, but post is not their strong point for sure.

Outside of Huntingdon and South Side, none of the teams in West TN have much post play this season.  Greenfield has a solid big but I don't think I would call her a true post player.  Gibson Co, Westview, South Gibson, Dresden, South Fulton, Crockett Co all have a shot to make a state tournament but none of them get much production out of their post players.  Gibson Co has a freshman with a lot of potential but she has been very up and down in games I've seen this season.  

I think it has to be a concern, especially for Westview and Gibson Co.  Huntingdon could upset either in region semifinal game with their post duo.  Also Alcoa and York both have very capable bigs which could present problems for Gibson and Westview at a state tournament.  

South Gibson's lack of post play makes beating South Side very difficult and could present a problem if they get out of region.  Creek Wood does not have much in the post but Central Magnet has a good post player. 

3 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Huntingdon’s posts put up 55 against them. Just saying. They had Davis guarding ours at times. Davis is a great player but I don’t know if I want her guarding a 6-1 post from Wayne County. They may not play zone, but post is not their strong point for sure.

I  have always thought that as well about them playing some zone  but before the loss to Huntingdon,   they had beaten Huntingdon the previous 6 meetings w/ Davis by an average of 20 points and to be honest Huntingdon's post(s) exposed them in all those games too.  Having 1 strong player back for McKenzie makes all the difference lets them be who they are w/o getting too deep into their bench. McKenzie knows who they are and I would be very surprised if they ever do anything different . 

8 hours ago, thebenchwarmer said:

Hey why aren't the girls playing Westview tomorrow night too? 

Unconfirmed, just what I was told.  Willie T called and wanted to play the guys.  Wilkins said no problem.  Wilkins said bring the girls as well, and Haskins said no.  I don't know if it is true or not.  Just what I was told. 

4 hours ago, VOLnWTN said:

Unconfirmed, just what I was told.  Willie T called and wanted to play the guys.  Wilkins said no problem.  Wilkins said bring the girls as well, and Haskins said no.  I don't know if it is true or not.  Just what I was told. 

That made me laugh. lol. Maybe the boys could play, then the girls, and then the boys again. That'd give them all 2 times a piece against each other this season, since the boys couldn't play back in December due to playoffs......If WV isn't scared. lol