West Tennessee Teams

sportsfan53ray

2 hours ago, Opm91 said:

And how soon was she or the kther highest scoring varsity player out against Union city? #13?  You do have a much tougher schedule from last year from what I can tell, but only playing your bench for the last minute and a half or less when you're up by 30+ is the exact reason why  people view it as helping her pad stats.  If you're playing a team that you know you're gonna beat by 30+, why not take her out as soon as you get to 20 over?  Especially if it's only around 6 games a year.  And not just GC....several teams do the same. 

His second team plays a lot more than a minute and a half. She had 26 against Huntingdon, 31 against McKenzie, a bunch against Westview. Had 30 against Summertown in substate last year and 21 against York. He don’t have to pad  her stats. She takes care of her numbers in the big games. As a matter of fact I hear him telling other players all the time they need to look to score that are not named Micah. He could care less about individual awards. He wants a Gold Ball like I do. For the record GC is not beating teams by 30 plus or 40 plus. You need to start looking at the schedule. The games he does win big he throws other girls out there as much as possible. He seems to be doing pretty well the last several years and he has lost some really good players. His system seems to be working. I am one to tell it like it is and have probably ruffled lots of feathers at GC because I do tell it like it is. I don’t know who you are but obviously you don’t like GC and are jealous of them and that’s fine. I had one in my family that went through many trials as a player. Yeah it was always the easy way to blame a coach or blame someone else or be jealous of another program. I always told mine to be worried about yourself and not worry about what another player is doing. You control what you are doing and that is what matters and if you get a chance to make a play you better make it. Because if you are out there passing the ball around and waiting for someone else to make a play that will get you set on the bench real quick I always told mine that if you are open and you have a clear lane to the basket or get a rebound and kick it back to someone else and he sets you you deserve to be set. I always told her you got to do your part as a player. I told her real quick I don’t want to hear excuses and blame games of the reason why your not getting it done. 

Edited by pioneer42
  • Like 1

Milan, union city, henry co, greenfield? Not beating any of those teams by 30? Definitely not jealous of GC. Esp after all ive heard. I've had two family members on that team. I've also had friends or family on trenton, humboldt, dyer Co, westview and union city.  I follow west tn closely due to that and because I'm an assistant coach (aau) and always looking for untapped talent. Everyone just calls it as we see it and obviously some can't take the conversation.  It's all good man. I wish GC the best of luck. Hopefully won't be a repeat of the last couple years and lose the first game at state when faced with some tough competition.  WV in my opinion will take the gold ball again but it would be nice to see some other teams from the west do more this year

9 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

His second team plays a lot more than a minute and a half. She had 26 against Huntingdon, 31 against McKenzie, a bunch against Westview. Had 30 against Summertown in substate last year and 21 against York. He don’t have to pad  her stats. She takes care of her numbers in the big games. As a matter of fact I hear him telling other players all the time they need to look to score that are not named Micah. He could care less about individual awards. He wants a Gold Ball like I do. For the record GC is not beating teams by 30 plus or 40 plus. You need to start looking at the schedule. The games he does win big he throws other girls out there as much as possible. He seems to be doing pretty well the last several years and he has lost some really good players. His system seems to be working. I am one to tell it like it is and have probably ruffled lots of feathers at GC because I do tell it like it is. I don’t know who you are but obviously you don’t like GC and are jealous of them and that’s fine. I had one in my family that went through many trials as a player. Yeah it was always the easy way to blame a coach or blame someone else or be jealous of another program. I always told mine to be worried about yourself and not worry about what another player is doing. You control what you are doing and that is what matters and if you get a chance to make a play you better make it. Because if you are out there passing the ball around and waiting for someone else to make a play that will get you set on the bench real quick I always told mine that if you are open and you have a clear lane to the basket or get a rebound and kick it back to someone else and he sets you you deserve to be set. I always told her you got to do your part as a player. I told her real quick I don’t want to hear excuses and blame games of the reason why your not getting it done. 

He played several vs us in both games. If you don't want her to score, stop her. We sure as heck couldn't.  And not many can. 

48 minutes ago, Opm91 said:

Milan, union city, henry co, greenfield? Not beating any of those teams by 30? Definitely not jealous of GC. Esp after all ive heard. I've had two family members on that team. I've also had friends or family on trenton, humboldt, dyer Co, westview and union city.  I follow west tn closely due to that and because I'm an assistant coach (aau) and always looking for untapped talent. Everyone just calls it as we see it and obviously some can't take the conversation.  It's all good man. I wish GC the best of luck. Hopefully won't be a repeat of the last couple years and lose the first game at state when faced with some tough competition.  WV in my opinion will take the gold ball again but it would be nice to see some other teams from the west do more this year

Yeah and we had everybody play in those games. I have seen several points scored this season from about 9-12 in the rotation. Two Freshman we have that play a lot are super talented and have ignited this team among the rest of the team. Very proud of all of them. Me personally I am not on personal stats and really when Heather Butler got robbed two years in a row not winning Miss Basketball I really don’t think it is very valid a lot of times. I am happy the way the team is playing and happy the way the program is going. You can always find something you are not happy with when you are watching sports or have family playing. You are a coach you know that the one thing you can control is yourself and your effort and to not blame others if you are not playing enough or something is not happening the way you want it. You have to be mentally tough as a player to not let stuff bother you on the court or off the court. Life isn’t fair. I will promise you one thing. Coach Wilkins could care less about personal stats. I had one that led the state in Single A and Double AA in 3’s in 2020 and  neither of us knew about it until we got sent home from state. If you feel like he is not playing his subs enough I bet he is working on different plays during these times or working on an agenda for another game. I am sure he supports the award but he is worried about winning a Gold Ball. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, VOLnWTN said:

He played several vs us in both games. If you don't want her to score, stop her. We sure as heck couldn't.  And not many can. 

Yeah she does a good job “padding” her own stats. She don’t need a lot of help from coach in blowout games does she?? Had 31 or so and lost to y’all and had 26 in a win against Huntingdon. Can’t believe got posters on here saying she has to stay in in blowout games to pad her stats. They obviously aren’t watching these games. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/30/2023 at 12:07 AM, pioneer42 said:

She's a very good player and I think she scored at least half of the 33 for GC when they played WV. I think Wilkins does a good job of getting the girls in when he needs too...my personal opinion. Typically, it seems that GC and WV play about 7 to 8 on a regular basis but I believe that's kind of the norm and not the exception (like SS). SS can go 5 in, 5 out and not miss a beat. GC & WV aren't built that way. If WV hadn't lost the big girl and the Simpson kid, they'd be a solid 9 deep this year. My disapproval is that I don't like pressing when you got a 20 point lead, but that goes back to style play and sportsmanship (to me, but I'm old school). 

10 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

She's a very good player and I think she scored at least half of the 33 for GC when they played WV. I think Wilkins does a good job of getting the girls in when he needs too...my personal opinion. Typically, it seems that GC and WV play about 7 to 8 on a regular basis but I believe that's kind of the norm and not the exception (like SS). SS can go 5 in, 5 out and not miss a beat. GC & WV aren't built that way. If WV hadn't lost the big girl and the Simpson kid, they'd be a solid 9 deep this year. My disapproval is that I don't like pressing when you got a 20 point lead, but that goes back to style play and sportsmanship (to me, but I'm old school). 

A Henry County poster is the one that started the stuff. Wilkins will play his 2nd and 3rd team like his first. GC likes to press and play fast. Have for years. Henry County ought to be ashamed for telling anyone the score of a 452 student school vs a 1322 or so school. Wilkins leaves his starters in some in blowout games against pretty good teams to run different sets and to do different things like Henry County. Micah Hart I assure you gets hers and mostly against quality competition. Not you but for posters to say Wilkins leaves her in to pad her stats is not accurate. She puts up major numbers against good teams. He is into his team winning Gold Balls, not worrying about how many points one of his players has. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LetsGoBrandon said:

Definitely agree about pressing when such a big lead! 

22 minutes ago, Opm91 said:

Definitely agree about pressing when such a big lead! 

Do you think the backups need to just not do what the starters do when they play?? You think they should should not be aggressive at all?? Pretty obvious you got a problem with GC and that is fine. Things never go exactly perfect in any program. I will tell you this. No matter how much and how tough situations got when mine was playing I taught her to be mentally tough and never talked bad about the coach. We never had discussions blaming coaches for anything. When we had bad days it was never someone else’s fault that is for sure. 

Edited by pioneer42

On 1/25/2023 at 12:00 PM, HawkGuy06 said:

Amen to that injury free part! Yea it was definitely a good game to watch just before district tournament starts! Glad you enjoyed & hopefully you get to see more very soon. 

Speaking of South Gibson South Side y’all still scheduled for Friday Night?? Gibson County Westview just got moved to Saturday Night. I am planning on being there.