Walker Martinez robbed of Mr. Football to a losy 4-7 QB - Abolish the award

GoMavs423

A little fired up writing this but the kid is not bad. Not the best arm, but makes up for it with his legs to keep defenses honest.

In all fairness though Jackson did not win the award - Something political had to have happened. Absolutely ridiculous system that does not reward the best players.

This is thievery and its wrong. I hope if you disagree you can make a case how a one man show can beat a 15-0 state championship resume with a head to head victory by four scores.

I am reposting my statement in case some missed it. But is it just ok and let this go and say well what ever. If we did that with everything we do than the world would exist in chaos and right would never be right and wrong would be right. At some point someone has to speak up if at least for years to come finalist.

Repost:

Maybe this is what Greeneville and Elizabethton have been talking about for years and and now Anderson. I am just saying this; is there a difference of preferential treatment that has/is given to Knox county teams over teams like AC, Greeneville and Elizabethton? I am really wondering if that could exist after this No Brainier. If it starts here then it would most likely roll down hill. Is it a click? I don't know, all I know this in IMO a major blunder and I am trying to be nice using that as a word. We always pray for a fair officiating game during football season. We want or I do, want the best football team to win in any given night. But we're not talking about one bad call on Mr. Football 4A, we are talking about a whole season. I just want fairness and IMO this committee were not near being close to fair. This is not apples and oranges this is a football player, who or whom stood out, and who/whom did what it took to be instrumental in the success to an undefeated team at the end of the season. It takes a team but when you have a stand out like Walker Martinez that is so obvious, he was a big part of the Mavs success this year. How could a system be structured in such a way that it could overlook something that to many fans, I am sure, in East Tennessee and even if they did not like AC would have to be honest Walker was an absolute shoe-in being honest. Maybe I am being naive, and maybe this happens all the time. Maybe I have been away from Tennessee too long or not long enough, but this may be just a good ole boy network. I don't know but I do know this one IMO, does not add up!

MIF, I'll copy and paste my reply from the other thread here too. But add this... if you really want to do the whole right is right no matter what you have to be able to take the results,  even when it isn't in your favor.  

----------

You're a good dude MIF. Truly. I'm actually a little jealous of your disposition.  You're so positive and upbeat no matter what.  

I'm happy for the kids, the fans and with a couple of exceptions,  the coaches.  Clayton, Eli Nelson,  Ty Murphy and Arender just to name a few... you won't find better kids.  

This vote IMO was at least in part due to the way the AD has rubbed some people the wrong way. When people say you either love or hate GT, it's true.  I don't care for the guy and have made no secret of it.  That, and they consider academics and character.  You and I have had discussions,  there's no need to go in depth again but I am by no means the only one thinking this...  A lot of people in East Tennessee know that there were questions about an incident.  Almost every student section from other teams had signs of some sort at every game talking about it, making fun of it.  

Many opponents barstool Twitter account made reference to it.  Some of them took it down,  some didn't. 

It's not just here on coach T, it's an open secret. Although other posters here on coach t have said the same things. I'm on the ground here in AC talking to people all over.  This is the reality here.  

Bottom line.  AC needs to learn how to win and lose with grace.  This is true for the people at AC that craft the social media.  Stop being so arrogant with it, either way.  Message boards are one thing,  we can talk trash. If admin from schools do it in public against other schools, it'll bite you. 

Bottom line again,  We won state.  We had a Mr football finalist.  We had an undefeated season against tough competition.  Stop acting entitled and congratulate the kid who did win it. He played both ways and His defense stats were legit too. He's no scrub and for AC fans to suggest otherwise is sour grapes and petty. That does not include you MIF. You congratulated him.  

• Upvote 2

Just reading an article.

Apparently it's like a round table discussion and decision. From what I have read there is really no science or formula. Of course no public voting. Leaves everything open to who you know and persuasion. Sort of sounds like IMO a back behind the doors sunshine event. Like dinner is on me deal. Surprising me the more I read that we would allow the possible future of kids be decided like this. Now it make you wonder is the same with referring etc. School system. And where is the middle man that is supposed to be the fair and honest person, the media. The worst part of it all is this is what we are handing down to our kids saying this is the way we work; Good ole buddy system. As I say, can't help this young Walker Martinez now but in the future hopefully the kids will have a better roll model than this and a better system than no system at all.

https://www.williamsonherald.com/sports/how-does-one-become-mr-football-heres-the-process-besides-the-on-field-play/article_6c74e76a-07d9-11ea-a587-aff3c9aea45e.html

Edited by Mavericksinflight

Well, if we're being honest Martinez will be fine.  His parents are loaded but they are entitled.  

If we want to talk about sending a message... how about this message.  Every time the admin down there prop up a kid as if he's a hero,  knowing what he did to another student and team mate, like he's the epitome of what we want all kids to aspire to. It sends a message.  A message that if you're a good enough athlete you can get away with "stuff" and they cover for you. That your actions do not have consequences if you're parents are well heeled and well connected. That the victim doesn't matter.  That (some) coaches don't care about right and wrong as long as they can win a trophy. 

The future of the kids who left the program because of it matter too. The victims future matters.  The kids in the school watching,  that all know what really happened... their futures matter. 

You are also dismissive of the other kids accomplishments.  He played both ways.

2 hours ago, GoMavs423 said:

A little fired up writing this but the kid is not bad. Not the best arm, but makes up for it with his legs to keep defenses honest.

In all fairness though Jackson did not win the award - Something political had to have happened. Absolutely ridiculous system that does not reward the best players.

This is thievery and its wrong. I hope if you disagree you can make a case how a one man show can beat a 15-0 state championship resume with a head to head victory by four scores.

Its wasn't political but it did seem strange. 

He was a lock for it but seems to have been tripped up. It's as if someone dropped a solo cup full of something, causing him to slip. 

18 minutes ago, FormerMav said:

Its wasn't political but it did seem strange. 

He was a lock for it but seems to have been tripped up. It's as if someone dropped a solo cup full of something, causing him to slip. 

I agree he Jackson did play both ways. I certainly agree he is a really good player and appreciate his accomplishments and think he deserved an award. And I am certainly not one for the entitled so we are on the same page. I can't believe we choose awards based on a round table discussion then a so called lol secret ballot. I think everyone knows who's voting how and why. No checks and balances. Like playing God to me. Well it's over and hope everyone will sleep well that decided. Accuracy, consistency, stats and record against teams should be focused on whither or not your in Knoxville, Greeneville or Anderson County.

11 hours ago, FormerMav said:

MIF, I'll copy and paste my reply from the other thread here too. But add this... if you really want to do the whole right is right no matter what you have to be able to take the results,  even when it isn't in your favor.  

----------

You're a good dude MIF. Truly. I'm actually a little jealous of your disposition.  You're so positive and upbeat no matter what.  

I'm happy for the kids, the fans and with a couple of exceptions,  the coaches.  Clayton, Eli Nelson,  Ty Murphy and Arender just to name a few... you won't find better kids.  

This vote IMO was at least in part due to the way the AD has rubbed some people the wrong way. When people say you either love or hate GT, it's true.  I don't care for the guy and have made no secret of it.  That, and they consider academics and character.  You and I have had discussions,  there's no need to go in depth again but I am by no means the only one thinking this...  A lot of people in East Tennessee know that there were questions about an incident.  Almost every student section from other teams had signs of some sort at every game talking about it, making fun of it.  

Many opponents barstool Twitter account made reference to it.  Some of them took it down,  some didn't. 

It's not just here on coach T, it's an open secret. Although other posters here on coach t have said the same things. I'm on the ground here in AC talking to people all over.  This is the reality here.  

Bottom line.  AC needs to learn how to win and lose with grace.  This is true for the people at AC that craft the social media.  Stop being so arrogant with it, either way.  Message boards are one thing,  we can talk trash. If admin from schools do it in public against other schools, it'll bite you. 

Bottom line again,  We won state.  We had a Mr football finalist.  We had an undefeated season against tough competition.  Stop acting entitled and congratulate the kid who did win it. He played both ways and His defense stats were legit too. He's no scrub and for AC fans to suggest otherwise is sour grapes and petty. That does not include you MIF. You congratulated him.  

Great Post!!