Too many classes discussion

riverrat

This comes up in several forum topics. So I did a little research.

Here are the five states above and below us in population. I did NOT account for 6 & 8 man football. 

State Rank / State Name / Population / etc

11 New Jersey 9,388,414 public 5 private 2 total classifications 7

12 Virginia 8,757,467 public private total classifications 6

13 Washington 7,901,429 public private total classifications 6

14 Arizona 7,303,398 public private total classifications 7

15 Massachusetts 7,126,375 public private total classifications 8

16 Tennessee 7,023,788 public 6 private 3 total classifications 9

17 Indiana 6,845,874 public private total classifications 6

18 Maryland 6,257,958 public private total classifications 6

19 Missouri 6,188,111 public private total classifications 6

20 Wisconsin 5,935,064 public private total classifications 6

21 Colorado 5,922,618 public private total classifications 5

Interesting note, unless I missed something the only state besides Tennessee that splits public/private is New Jersey.

Also realize that not all of these split classes by size. You want to know that research it yourself.

My view, average attendance would increase with better games (on average) and less travel required, helping make up for less playoff games with one class less. 

id also be on board for an enrollment/program strength (over 4 years and redone each 2 years) combination. Maybe no more than 1 up or down move at a time. 

5 Public, 2 Private. 

People think the reason we have 9 is the TSSAA. It was actually voted on by the Board of Control which is made up of administrators from the actual member schools.  Now if those admin actually voted according to how their area thought it should be, instead of with self-serving intentions, then their results would be different. 

Example: the only reason there are 3 D2 classes is that Lipscomb and Knox Webb had board members at that time that were trying to protect their programs.

Geographic region splits are "changed" all time to protect a board members particular school in publics.

Just do what is right for all the schools and let the chips fall where they may.

I know, I know. That will never happen. Too much greed in the world.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

5 Public, 2 Private. 

People think the reason we have 9 is the TSSAA. It was actually voted on by the Board of Control which is made up of administrators from the actual member schools.  Now if those admin actually voted according to how their area thought it should be, instead of with self-serving intentions, then their results would be different. 

Example: the only reason there are 3 D2 classes is that Lipscomb and Knox Webb had board members at that time that were trying to protect their programs.

Geographic region splits are "changed" all time to protect a board members particular school in publics.

Just do what is right for all the schools and let the chips fall where they may.

I know, I know. That will never happen. Too much greed in the world.

Not to split hairs, but the Board of Control is the TSSAA. 

5 classes, Class 1A:

Region 1: Cloudland, Cosby, Hancock County, Jellico, North Greene, Unaka 

Region 2: Coalfield, Greenback, Harriman, Midway, Oakdale, Oliver Springs, Rockwood, Sunbright, Wartburg

Region 3: Chattanooga Prep, Copper Basin, Lookout Valley, Sale Creek, South Pittsburg, Whitwell, Polk County

Region 4: Clay County, Gordonsville, Jo Byrns, Red Boiling Springs, Jackson County, Trousdale County

Region 5: Collinwood, Cornersville, Eagleville, Huntland, Moore County, Richland, Wayne County, Fayetteville 

Region 6: Bruceton, Houston County, McEwen, McKenzie, Perry County, West Carroll, East Robertson 

Region 7: Dresden, Gleason, Greenfield, Halls, Humboldt, Lake County, South Fulton, Union City, Huntingdon

Region 8: BT Washington, Manassas, MASE, Memphis Middle College, Middleton, Westwood, Mitchell, MLK Prep, Oakhaven, Hillcrest 

Basically the same as it has been even with about 10 more teams (largest 3 each had 400). The ones that wouldn't be competitive in a 6 class would be no less effective in a 5 class. 

3 hours ago, Indian said:

5 classes, Class 1A:

Region 1: Cloudland, Cosby, Hancock County, Jellico, North Greene, Unaka 

Region 2: Coalfield, Greenback, Harriman, Midway, Oakdale, Oliver Springs, Rockwood, Sunbright, Wartburg

Region 3: Chattanooga Prep, Copper Basin, Lookout Valley, Sale Creek, South Pittsburg, Whitwell, Polk County

Region 4: Clay County, Gordonsville, Jo Byrns, Red Boiling Springs, Jackson County, Trousdale County

Region 5: Collinwood, Cornersville, Eagleville, Huntland, Moore County, Richland, Wayne County, Fayetteville 

Region 6: Bruceton, Houston County, McEwen, McKenzie, Perry County, West Carroll, East Robertson 

Region 7: Dresden, Gleason, Greenfield, Halls, Humboldt, Lake County, South Fulton, Union City, Huntingdon

Region 8: BT Washington, Manassas, MASE, Memphis Middle College, Middleton, Westwood, Mitchell, MLK Prep, Oakhaven, Hillcrest 

Basically the same as it has been even with about 10 more teams (largest 3 each had 400). The ones that wouldn't be competitive in a 6 class would be no less effective in a 5 class. 

Only 4 classes left to figure out lol