Dobyns-Bennett Football and next year's football schedule.

bdawg122712

Week 1

Aug. 18

@ Farragut

7 PM

Week 2

Aug. 25

vs Greeneville

7 PM

Week 3

Sept. 1

@ West Ridge

7 PM

Week 4

Sept. 8

@ Jeff County

7 PM

Week 5

Sept. 15

vs Asheville High (NC)

7 PM

Week 6

Sept. 22

vs Morristown East (Homecoming)

7 PM

Week 7

Sept. 29

vs Elizabethton

7 PM

Week 8

Oct. 6

OPEN

Week 9

Oct. 13

@ William Blount

7 PM

Week 10

Oct. 20

@ David Crockett

7 PM

Week 11

Oct. 27

vs Science Hill (Senior Night)

7 PM

So DB finally has Elizabethton on the sched.    First meeting was in 1926 and the last time they played was 2008.  Elizabethton last won when Reagan was president.    This might be a pretty good game because I suspect both teams are down from recent years.    Can the much smaller school (879) match up with the big dog (2503)?

Enrollment is something announcers and fans throw out looking for an excuse if their team loses. When their team beats a team with less students the enrollment is never brought up. Daniel Boone has more students and Elizabethton has lost 3 games to them ever and Elizabethton plays Science Hill every year and hold their own. I agree both teams will probably be down a little. If the Elizabethton transfer is playing QB for DB the game will be a little more interesting.

6 hours ago, Tab said:

Enrollment is something announcers and fans throw out looking for an excuse if their team loses. When their team beats a team with less students the enrollment is never brought up. Daniel Boone has more students and Elizabethton has lost 3 games to them ever and Elizabethton plays Science Hill every year and hold their own. I agree both teams will probably be down a little. If the Elizabethton transfer is playing QB for DB the game will be a little more interesting.

I don't disagree about the numbers, but a school with 3x the population should statistically have that many more athletes roaming the halls.           As far as the QB, I can't imagine why a guy would not want to play at Elizabethton, they have way more probability of winning a state title.

10 hours ago, blazer1set said:

I don't disagree about the numbers, but a school with 3x the population should statistically have that many more athletes roaming the halls.           As far as the QB, I can't imagine why a guy would not want to play at Elizabethton, they have way more probability of winning a state title.

Numbers don't mean squat if you don't have both the coaching and youth league infrastructure to go with it. 

On 12/30/2022 at 3:19 PM, THSVikings2004 said:

Week 1

Aug. 18

@ Farragut

7 PM

Week 2

Aug. 25

vs Greeneville

7 PM

Week 3

Sept. 1

@ West Ridge

7 PM

Week 4

Sept. 8

@ Jeff County

7 PM

Week 5

Sept. 15

vs Asheville High (NC)

7 PM

Week 6

Sept. 22

vs Morristown East (Homecoming)

7 PM

Week 7

Sept. 29

vs Elizabethton

7 PM

Week 8

Oct. 6

OPEN

Week 9

Oct. 13

@ William Blount

7 PM

Week 10

Oct. 20

@ David Crockett

7 PM

Week 11

Oct. 27

vs Science Hill (Senior Night)

7 PM

I see a 5-5 record here. Not sure about Asheville. 

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Boone plays Clyde A. Erwin HS out of Asheville this year, last year they lost to Asheville 49-0.    Assuming both teams are similar this year then DB definitely has the tougher Asheville game.   

Everybody has been calling on DB to improve the quality of their schedule. Next year looks like pretty good quality. Problem is I think everybody also thought DB was improving the quality of their program. I just don't see that happening. After Christian took over, I count one good year. And that was most likely due to the talent that year, not coaching. Christian is a good guy but he's not going to advance the program, plain and simple. The way things are done in Kingsport, it'll be another 10 years before a change is made. Unless Christian decides to quit or retire. And even then, he'll be replaced with another member of the staff and the same mind set will continue on. Heck if Clark hadn't retired, he'd still be there playing his weak schedule and ending up 6-4 or 7-3 every year. Everybody with half a brain knows that you have to develop players with good coaching starting in the little leagues and through middle school. We've been pushing that point hard for 20 years now. They have done nothing. Actually, the quality of coaching in the lower leagues has got worse. Ain't never gonna' happen. 

• Like 1