Best player and best player most won’t know from your high school

1OldPatriot

On 12/16/2022 at 9:57 AM, Swipes said:

Greeneville High School

Best player is Dustin Moore.  1993 Mr. Football in AAA 6'3 225lb Running back that ran a 4.4 rushed for 2,129 Yards his Senior Season on 212 carries for a 10 yard per carry avg. and 32 TD's on the year.  When on to start TE for UT and Phillip Former is quotes as saying his was in the top 10 Athletes he ever recruited.

Most Won't Know

Leonard Coffman played for Greeneville until 1935 as a FB.  Enrolled at UT in 1936 and was the started FB for General Neyland  in 1938 and 1939 winning a national title in 1938.  He was credited as being the first player used for the goal-line dive play, where a back catapults himself over a pile of linemen. Started on D those years also and gave up no points in the regular season in 1939. His teammates  were quoted as saying John Bailey: "Coffman was the meanest, toughest football player Tennessee has ever had." George Cafego: "When you saw the back of Coffman's neck turning red, you got out of his way."  He entered the Army during World War II and rose to the rank of captain. In 1951 Coffman was recalled to service during the Korean War, where he served in Wyoming for five years. He was head coaching  at Greeneville High School during 1955-1959.  He stayed on staff as a teacher at the School until he retired in 1980 to raise Beef Cattle in Greeneville.  Coffman is part of the University of Tennessee Hall of Fame, National Football Hall of Fame, and TSSAA Hall of Fame.  Coffman was the last surviving member of the 1939 team and passed away at 92 in 2007

That is what I am talking about. Mr. Coffman sounds like Capt. America

• 1 month later...

Best players in Maryville history were Danny Spradlin and Aaron Douglas. Danny Spradlin led Maryville to a state championship in 1976. He started at Linebacker for 2 seasons at UT. Danny also played in the NFL for the Dallas Cowboys. Aaron Douglas was a great tight end at Maryville. He helped Maryville win 3 State Titles in Football and another one in Basketball. He started at RT for the Vols before he Transfered to a Juco. He was going to start for Bama at LT but tragedy struck. Aaron died in May of 2011. No doubt in my mind he would have been an NFL player. 

The most unsung player at Maryville has to be John Garrett.  John Garret had the best season of any Maryville football player I ever seen in my years of watching Maryville Football. In 2013 Maryville went 15-0 and won State. Crazy thing is since 1997 Maryville has had a bunch of Quarterbacks play college football. John Garrett didn't play College Football. John Garrett was 6' 160lbs and ran a 4.9 Forty. He wasn't the best athlete. But! What John Garrett did was run the zone read to perfection. He almost always made the right read. By far the smartest quarterback ever at MHS. He was cool as a cucumber. He had 45 touchdowns running and passing with only 2 turnovers. 2013 was one of the funnest seasons ever.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/1/2023 at 6:17 PM, REBELRON said:

Best players in Maryville history were Danny Spradlin and Aaron Douglas. Danny Spradlin led Maryville to a state championship in 1976. He started at Linebacker for 2 seasons at UT. Danny also played in the NFL for the Dallas Cowboys. Aaron Douglas was a great tight end at Maryville. He helped Maryville win 3 State Titles in Football and another one in Basketball. He started at RT for the Vols before he Transfered to a Juco. He was going to start for Bama at LT but tragedy struck. Aaron died in May of 2011. No doubt in my mind he would have been an NFL player. 

The most unsung player at Maryville has to be John Garrett.  John Garret had the best season of any Maryville football player I ever seen in my years of watching Maryville Football. In 2013 Maryville went 15-0 and won State. Crazy thing is since 1997 Maryville has had a bunch of Quarterbacks play college football. John Garrett didn't play College Football. John Garrett was 6' 160lbs and ran a 4.9 Forty. He wasn't the best athlete. But! What John Garrett did was run the zone read to perfection. He almost always made the right read. By far the smartest quarterback ever at MHS. He was cool as a cucumber. He had 45 touchdowns running and passing with only 2 turnovers. 2013 was one of the funnest seasons ever.

I have always said that to win a state championship a team must get their average players to play better than the other teams average players and Maryville has consistently done this better than any other school.  The good players on each team will normally cancel each other out.

On 2/1/2023 at 7:17 PM, REBELRON said:

Aaron Douglas was an absolute beast. 

For Oakland, not sure there is one that just sticks above the rest. Jordan James might change my mind in a few years if he has the career at Oregon I think he can, he was the perfect blend of power and speed that you would want from a tailback.

Woodi Washington should get consideration as well, truly a lockdown corner and has had a good career at Oklahoma, showing the kind of versatility that makes you invaluable to pro teams. 

Oakland has been pretty blessed with good OL over the years, but I think Jack Jones stood above all of them. He looked the part, but he was a one man wrecking ball. Had injuries not derailed his career at UT, I think he would have done really well there and then play in the NFL.

As for unsung, the 2 names that come to mind are Wes Counts and Antonio Patterson. Counts played on some really bad Oakland teams in the mid 90s, was often the only bright spot. Was able to have a really good career at MTSU as they transitioned to FBS.

Patterson was RB2 on the Oakland teams that went back to back in 20 and 21. Would have started at just about anywhere else had he taken the easy out and transferred, likely could have won Mr. Football had he done so. Was a really good defender as well when needed 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

For Oakland, not sure there is one that just sticks above the rest. Jordan James might change my mind in a few years if he has the career at Oregon I think he can, he was the perfect blend of power and speed that you would want from a tailback.

Woodi Washington should get consideration as well, truly a lockdown corner and has had a good career at Oklahoma, showing the kind of versatility that makes you invaluable to pro teams. 

Oakland has been pretty blessed with good OL over the years, but I think Jack Jones stood above all of them. He looked the part, but he was a one man wrecking ball. Had injuries not derailed his career at UT, I think he would have done really well there and then play in the NFL.

As for unsung, the 2 names that come to mind are Wes Counts and Antonio Patterson. Counts played on some really bad Oakland teams in the mid 90s, was often the only bright spot. Was able to have a really good career at MTSU as they transitioned to FBS.

Patterson was RB2 on the Oakland teams that went back to back in 20 and 21. Would have started at just about anywhere else had he taken the easy out and transferred, likely could have won Mr. Football had he done so. Was a really good defender as well when needed 

Good List... I was have gone with Jacoby Stevens and Wes Counts. 

7 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Is Patterson playing anywhere now?

23 minutes ago, GoPats2019 said:

Good List... I was have gone with Jacoby Stevens and Wes Counts. 

I thought about it, I just feel like Woodi and Jordan are gonna have the better college+pro career when it's all said and done 

Just now, JustinBuck said:

Is Patterson playing anywhere now?

Patterson signed with FIU. Didnt play alot last year, so should have 4 yrs of eligibility left. Would have been great if he signed with MTSU

• Like 1