Scott Cummings has resigned at Oak Ridge

HTV

1 hour ago, STILLNUM1 said:

I have always liked Joe and just because I dont agree with him dont mean I have no use for him.But everyone around the program had knowledge that Principal Adams wanted and hired Scott.It was also known that Joe and others didnt like the hire.A few parents complained about bad language and Scott was never warned or told he needed to cut it out.He goes to this meeting and is blindsided by all of this and had no idea what was about to happen.Now most ADs would have gave their coach a heads up and as a former coach went to bat for him.Now I dont know every little detail and maybe Scott has left something out.Maybe somehow Joe was blindsided and didnt know what was about to happen.But it dont look good when you have made comments to people though out the yr not backing your HC.I know for Joe its hard when kids you coached have parents that come up and bad mouth the new coach and you like them and try to please everyone.But as a former coach you know how parents are and you cant let them have their way.I just dont think its right for a man to move his family and you dont give him a fair shake.Not to mention how bad Scott wanted this job and was putting in so so much time.I have people all over that school from top to bottom and have not heard anything else besides bad language, attitude and hard to get along with.But if anything else comes out that proves Scott in the wrong I will be the first to say I was wrong.It would make me feel better about the whole thing if there was a valid reason.

I’ve heard two sides of the story, both from what I would consider really good sources. One of the guys is good friends with Scott, so I trust what he says, and this is exactly what he told me to a tee. I honestly hate it for Scott, no matter if he’s hard to get along with (some folks say) or cussed too much (a cop out excuse, IMO) that’s just not how you treat people in life. I’m sorry, but it’s just not. 

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

I’ve heard two sides of the story, both from what I would consider really good sources. One of the guys is good friends with Scott, so I trust what he says, and this is exactly what he told me to a tee. I honestly hate it for Scott, no matter if he’s hard to get along with (some folks say) or cussed too much (a cop out excuse, IMO) that’s just not how you treat people in life. It’s just not. 

exactly.

15 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

I’ve heard two sides of the story, both from what I would consider really good sources. One of the guys is good friends with Scott, so I trust what he says, and this is exactly what he told me to a tee. I honestly hate it for Scott, no matter if he’s hard to get along with (some folks say) or cussed too much (a cop out excuse, IMO) that’s just not how you treat people in life. I’m sorry, but it’s just not. 

That's right down the same line how Maryville High got rid of Emory Hale except it was grabbing a kid by the face mask. One of the ones that did all the blaming grabbed me by the face mask when I played up there so many times I should have sued Maryville High for whiplash.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

That's right down the same line how Maryville High got rid of Emory Hale except it was grabbing a kid by the face mask. One of the ones that did all the blaming grabbed me by the face mask when I played up there so many times I should have sued Maryville High for whiplash.

Yeah, I’ve heard all about that story. There was a story about Emory getting physical with a kid from OR back when he used to coach at OR, and the kid turned on him and a few coaches had to come between them to prevent some blows being thrown. Emory was a wild man, from what I’ve always heard. He went on to coach at Austin Peay after that and ended up having a nervous breakdown, I think.

Coach Jack Armstrong (former OR coach and great) would’ve been put in prison today from some of the shenanigans he used to pull while at OR. Kids were scared to death of him, I’ve always heard. That was a different time back then. He did some things reminiscent of the Junction Boys movie type stuff. A different time.

2 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Yeah, I’ve heard all about that story. There was a story about Emory getting physical with a kid from OR back when he used to coach at OR, and the kid turned on him and a few coaches had to come between them to prevent some blows being thrown. Emory was a wild man, from what I’ve always heard. He went on to coach at Austin Peay after that and ended up having a nervous breakdown, I think.

Coach Jack Armstrong (former OR coach and great) would’ve been put in prison today from some of the shenanigans he used to pull while at OR. Kids were scared to death of him, I’ve always heard. That was a different time back then. He did some things reminiscent of the Junction Boys movie type stuff. A different time.

The funniest story I've ever been told which was from two very reputable people Benny Dalton and Coach Story who both played for Walland High School back in the early mid-60s for A.J.Wilson. they didn't have a blocking sled so they used Coach Wilson's station wagon while he was inside pumping the brakes but the funniest story they told was about A.J. always brought a cattle prod to practice and if you were loafing he'd walk up and tap you on the behind with it. Can you imagine that happening today, that would be the story of the year.

18 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

The funniest story I've ever been told which was from two very reputable people Benny Dalton and Coach Story who both played for Walland High School back in the early mid-60s for A.J.Wilson. they didn't have a blocking sled so they used Coach Wilson's station wagon while he was inside pumping the brakes but the funniest story they told was about A.J. always brought a cattle prod to practice and if you were loafing he'd walk up and tap you on the behind with it. Can you imagine that happening today, that would be the story of the year.

That’s hilarious. I’m sure it wasn’t at the time to those kids, but still funny as he#%.

On 1/8/2023 at 8:36 PM, STILLNUM1 said:

I think you missed it again.But the main point is lets dont act like bad language is so bad when other coaches have done far worse.And  Liberty is another road you dont wanna go down.They hired and loved H.Freeze and his resume was a lot worse than somebody that uses bad language.And I think Liberty is a great school so no hate toward them but lets be real when it comes to sports.Liberty,AC and many more care more about winning than always doing the right thing or caring about morals.And to be fair I dont believe Oak Ridge got rid of Scott because they really cared about the bad language.Im not saying it is fact but it is looking more and more like Joe and some others just didnt like him and found a way to get rid of him.If Oak Ridge hires someone close to Joe than I think it confirms what he was going to do the day he took the AD job no matter what Scott did

Well going forward let's look at this as a positive. Brand new and fresh head coach steps in with tons of excitement and plenty of energy to get OR rolling again. Players and parents will get behind him and the administration will work with what ever he needs. OR has talent and 2023 will be a very exciting year for OR and fans. I see a huge positive coming out of all this for the Wildcats. And wish them the best in 2023. Go Cats! Let's get behind the Cats!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, SweetScience said:

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with Cummings leaving. I’m just saying it is real life. In most non-education jobs, bad attitude, hard to get along with, cussing, etc., could get you fired. In my job, it probably would. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ForTheRidge said:

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with Cummings leaving. I’m just saying it is real life. In most non-education jobs, bad attitude, hard to get along with, cussing, etc., could get you fired. In my job, it probably would. 

I’ve heard Nick Saban and Bill Belichick are pretty hard to get along with too. At the end of the day, he was hired to win football games, not win a popularity contest. 

• CoachT locked this topic