Science Hill

LGVol

On 12/16/2022 at 10:39 PM, LGVol said:

What is up with Science Hill this season? I mean 1 & 9.

Actually 1-10 I believe.  And their one win was against Farragut.  So Farragut must be abysmally bad.

I believe The Hill is just young this year and their best player from last year, Livingston, transferred to Daniel Boone.  My preacher's son plays for them this year and starts as a sophomore.  He scored 14 against Unicoi last week.

4 hours ago, TribalEmpire said:

Actually 1-10 I believe.  And their one win was against Farragut.  So Farragut must be abysmally bad.

I believe The Hill is just young this year and their best player from last year, Livingston, transferred to Daniel Boone.  My preacher's son plays for them this year and starts as a sophomore.  He scored 14 against Unicoi last week.

Science Hill only needs 2 more wins this year and that’s against Dobyns Bennett 

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, IPOPU2022 said:

How can SH be “young”. They’ve got almost 3,000 kids. Are kids just not interested in sports?

Let me take a shot. Some programs reload with kids who work hard, pay the price and step up. Sometimes when you have players that are 2 and 3 year starters, others give up the game because of the work and little reward in their minds. So the starters and their tight teammates who paid the price and sat the bench graduate and a void is left. Happens in a lot of schools, various sports regardless of school size.

20 hours ago, noonesfool said:

Let me take a shot. Some programs reload with kids who work hard, pay the price and step up. Sometimes when you have players that are 2 and 3 year starters, others give up the game because of the work and little reward in their minds. So the starters and their tight teammates who paid the price and sat the bench graduate and a void is left. Happens in a lot of schools, various sports regardless of school size.

20 hours ago, noonesfool said:

Thanks NonesFool. . It’s the i quit IF I’m not playing mentality. We’re seeing more and more of that not only in HS but the College Transfer Portal in College. Kids aren’t willing to work hard and sacrifice for an opportunity to play as a Senior in most instances. Maybe a kid a grade of a lower class who doesn’t start barring injury and won’t get on the court until the game is decided and decides to quit. And we’re seeing the Transfer Portal in HS as well. . Don’t kid yourself anyone who doesn’t believe me. 
Moore Co “inherited” a great HS Qb from THS about 4yrs ago who was behind an established kid that went D1 his last season. He knew his ONLY chance to play was the short trip to MC. They had an 11-2 season because of his talent. I don’t blame the kid or his parents but that’s always something we have to deal with. 
As for Kids just giving up the Sport is troubling to say the least. Just because they’re NOT starting NOW. Kids are different than when i grew up. First You were PROUD to Make the Team because a lot of Kids didn’t. They worked hard and REALLY WANTED to represent the School and wear the colors on Friday but ultimately weren’t talented enough. And 2nd you were excited to be a part of a team that represented your School and COMMUNITY. That’s all lost now with no School Spirit. Lazy Kids that’d rather NOT put in the Work to actually play any Sport. And esp IF they’re NOT starting, would rather hang with their friends playing video games and trying to get high or party. The last group of Quitters just say “I can make a couple hundred $ cutting grass on weekends and DON’T have to deal with 2 a day’s practicing Football. 
This generation of Kids are difficult to motivate to play sports at all. And equally difficult to stay in the program thru their Sr Season unless they have a future playing at the next level. There’s no WAY that SH doesn’t have 5 athletes who are Sr’s that aren’t playing Basketball that could at the very least make them a .500 team. Jus my take on it. I welcome any suggestions or comments. 

Edited by IPOPU2022

9 hours ago, IPOPU2022 said:

Thanks NonesFool. . It’s the i quit IF I’m not playing mentality. We’re seeing more and more of that not only in HS but the College Transfer Portal in College. Kids aren’t willing to work hard and sacrifice for an opportunity to play as a Senior in most instances. Maybe a kid a grade of a lower class who doesn’t start barring injury and won’t get on the court until the game is decided and decides to quit. And we’re seeing the Transfer Portal in HS as well. . Don’t kid yourself anyone who doesn’t believe me. 
Moore Co “inherited” a great HS Qb from THS about 4yrs ago who was behind an established kid that went D1 his last season. He knew his ONLY chance to play was the short trip to MC. They had an 11-2 season because of his talent. I don’t blame the kid or his parents but that’s always something we have to deal with. 
As for Kids just giving up the Sport is troubling to say the least. Just because they’re NOT starting NOW. Kids are different than when i grew up. First You were PROUD to Make the Team because a lot of Kids didn’t. They worked hard and REALLY WANTED to represent the School and wear the colors on Friday but ultimately weren’t talented enough. And 2nd you were excited to be a part of a team that represented your School and COMMUNITY. That’s all lost now with no School Spirit. Lazy Kids that’d rather NOT put in the Work to actually play any Sport. And esp IF they’re NOT starting, would rather hang with their friends playing video games and trying to get high or party. The last group of Quitters just say “I can make a couple hundred $ cutting grass on weekends and DON’T have to deal with 2 a day’s practicing Football. 
This generation of Kids are difficult to motivate to play sports at all. And equally difficult to stay in the program thru their Sr Season unless they have a future playing at the next level. There’s no WAY that SH doesn’t have 5 athletes who are Sr’s that aren’t playing Basketball that could at the very least make them a .500 team. Jus my take on it. I welcome any suggestions or comments. 

Where you gonna' find a high school kid that's willing to cut grass on weekends? Even for $200. or more.

34 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Where you gonna' find a high school kid that's willing to cut grass on weekends? Even for $200. or more.

Well you do have a point there. This generation of teens and 20 something’s have Absolutely No Work Ethic. I did ask a local kid who’s 6’4” 300lbs and a Soph IF he played football. He said “naw the coaches ask me but I’d rather mow yards and make xtra money”. And he’s from a solid middle class family. 

On 1/1/2023 at 9:56 PM, WBNC83 said:

Toppers are very young this year. They’ll be fine. Plenty of talent coming up. But I believe they knew this year was going to be tough. 

Plenty of talent coming up from where? Their freshman team is terrible, and both Indian Trail and Liberty Bell are floating near the bottom of the middle school standings. LB is especially abysmal.

Edited by crazzyness