Greenback 2023

orngnblk

8 hours ago, GHSblackhelmet said:

No it's not about the players. If it was Greg would have been hired no questions asked. This is about a corrupt County Commissioner/ Ex Head Coach and his influence over a selection committee. Any person that publicly or privately states that they will withhold funds from the community if a certain coach is hired should not be allowed to represent the community period. 

Edited by MommaWork

7 hours ago, rlh said:

Sometimes pitchforks are all a rogue school board understands.  Once upon a time, the Marion County School Boards just out  of the blue voted to do away with football at all 3 high schools.  Pitchforks and 10 days later, the football programs were reinstated.  That was in the late 1980s. 

Fair point.

Edited by MommaWork

3 hours ago, Tonto10 said:

You can actually teach without a certification. There are situations when a job is created for you and while you are "teaching" you are simultaneously working on getting the certification through the state via a college program.  It is my understanding that Coach Ryan had a job created for him, was in pursuit of said certification and then left for Catholic. 

This is not true.  You can get a probationary teaching license IF you have a degree in a teachable field ie: you have a BA in English you can get something that allows you to teach while you are getting your certification.  This is very rare though.  Mostly if you have your degree you MUST take a state Praxis test to get your certification before you step foot in a classroom.  The only other option is to get a CTE teaching certification (vocational) where a limited few don't require a degree just 5 years industry experience, some require an industry certification (graphic design etc.) and some actually still require a degree.   If NONE of this can happen the school CAN hire a coach and put him/her in a classified role like an ISS teacher (In school suspension) or as a TA.  Then of course you have in the state of Tennessee that you DON'T even have to be teacher to be a head football coach or head coach of anything for that matter.  You don't even have to work in the building at all!! ...As long as you have coached in that sport as an assistant coach registered with the TSSAA for 5 consecutive years and passed a state test.  An example of that is the Bearden Head Football Coach Josh Jones.  He doesn't work for Bearden in ANY way shape or form except as their Head Football Coach.  

Also...I'm still pissed this happened.  Greenback is a draw.  Good coaches wanted this job!  This is a sham.  I put it on the same level as the 2020 election.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, rlh said:

Sometimes pitchforks are all a rogue school board understands.  Once upon a time, the Marion County School Boards just out  of the blue voted to do away with football at all 3 high schools.  Pitchforks and 10 days later, the football programs were reinstated.  That was in the late 1980s. 

I remember that. Technically I think they were doing away with the coaching supplement if I recall, but it meant the same thing. All three school's coaching staffs were going to walk away which means it would have been the end of football in the county. Don Grider told us after practice that if the vote passed through then don't bother coming to practice the next day because no one would be there to open the locker room doors. He meant it. I remember hearing that KC and Vernon were going to do the same thing at the other two schools.

I know the point you were making, and it's true, pitchforks can and did work. Unfortunately for Greenback this only involves them. If Loudon and Lenoir City were going to be affected as well then pitchforks would probably work as well. But with only one school getting shafted, well, it better be some very big pitchforks. 

Whatever caused the previous choice to leave, make it even harder for the new guy to follow through with it as well. And make it hard for the ones who voted for him to remain in power. However, if this was the best choice that they could make then their hands were tied and they did the best they could do. I only know what I've read on here and it doesn't sound like this was the best choice though.

Ok, that's about the most long winded post one made in a long time.

2 minutes ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

I remember that. Technically I think they were doing away with the coaching supplement if I recall, but it meant the same thing. All three school's coaching staffs were going to walk away which means it would have been the end of football in the county. Don Grider told us after practice that if the vote passed through then don't bother coming to practice the next day because no one would be there to open the locker room doors. He meant it. I remember hearing that KC and Vernon were going to do the same thing at the other two schools.

I know the point you were making, and it's true, pitchforks can and did work. Unfortunately for Greenback this only involves them. If Loudon and Lenoir City were going to be affected as well then pitchforks would probably work as well. But with only one school getting shafted, well, it better be some very big pitchforks. 

Whatever caused the previous choice to leave, make it even harder for the new guy to follow through with it as well. And make it hard for the ones who voted for him to remain in power. However, if this was the best choice that they could make then their hands were tied and they did the best they could do. I only know what I've read on here and it doesn't sound like this was the best choice though.

The new Principal asked to go back thru all applications after Rayl fell through and the board said NO make a choice with who was left.Plenty of other qualified applicants!

42 minutes ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

I am glad someone remembered that.  There was a turnover on the school board really fast, really sudden. 

2 hours ago, orngnblk said:

The new Principal asked to go back thru all applications after Rayl fell through and the board said NO make a choice with who was left.Plenty of other qualified applicants!

The board said no, or one person on the board said no?
If it was one person, was that person’s good buddy the final selection as coach?

Just asking…