Harriman football

Frontman

As an outsider looking in I see your coach has been there 20 years now since 2003. I personally see Harriman as a dying old town with a school that has gotten smaller over the decades. I do know for a fact that Harriman had an enrollment of 500 in the mid 80's only to have 360 now and has fallen down to 1A level football. There was a time I remember Maryville playing Harriman in the playoffs back in the 80's and to see how they have went backwards into time is unbelievable. Back in 1963 they shut South Harriman High School down and combined it into Harriman and also brought on more students during integration that year from another school that was also shut down. I was in Harriman this past summer for a week on business and was very easy to see why the younger people in the past few generations have packed their bags and got out of there because the place has nothing to offer and very understandable why the enrollment is down 150 kids over the past 40 years. It would be a hard place to win in football for any coach knowing your going to have to build on what you have with no hope of attracting anyone from the outside to come there.

On 1/1/2023 at 8:21 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

As an outsider looking in I see your coach has been there 20 years now since 2003. I personally see Harriman as a dying old town with a school that has gotten smaller over the decades. I do know for a fact that Harriman had an enrollment of 500 in the mid 80's only to have 360 now and has fallen down to 1A level football. There was a time I remember Maryville playing Harriman in the playoffs back in the 80's and to see how they have went backwards into time is unbelievable. Back in 1963 they shut South Harriman High School down and combined it into Harriman and also brought on more students during integration that year from another school that was also shut down. I was in Harriman this past summer for a week on business and was very easy to see why the younger people in the past few generations have packed their bags and got out of there because the place has nothing to offer and very understandable why the enrollment is down 150 kids over the past 40 years. It would be a hard place to win in football for any coach knowing your going to have to build on what you have with no hope of attracting anyone from the outside to come there.

true.

On 1/1/2023 at 9:21 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

Very insightful and true 

I enjoy going to the old towns like Harriman and peek into their past, visit libraries looking at old yearbooks and talking to the older generation that remembers those times I'm looking for. I could never find the old South Harriman High School while there so one day I was at Lowe's and ran into an older man and his son who was close to my age and I asked the older man if he was from there and he said yes. I ask about  where South Harriman was and he told me it wasn't there anymore but a Dollar General Market now sets on the same property the school sat on. He told me make a right off the interstate and head into town and I would see the store on the right as it was on the corner where you make a right to go into downtown Harriman. There is a marker on the corner of that property that has South Harriman Pirates on it to so the old school is never forgotten. The football field they played on was a few blocks down going back to the interstate but an elementary school now sets on the old field. I saw pictures of the old field and the stands were concrete poured into a hillside on the back side of the elementary schools parking lot. It was easy to see where they would have been a long time ago that being the only hillside on the property plus the older man told me exactly where it was at also. As I mentioned the town is old and nothing new in sight and very understandable what is going on there. I've also visited old fields that are still there this past fall at Dayton, Spring City, Etowah, Englewood, Maury, Jefferson City and Sevier Counties old field last played on in 1974 and the fields are still there fifty years later.

19 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I enjoy going to the old towns like Harriman and peek into their past, visit libraries looking at old yearbooks and talking to the older generation that remembers those times I'm looking for. I could never find the old South Harriman High School while there so one day I was at Lowe's and ran into an older man and his son who was close to my age and I asked the older man if he was from there and he said yes. I ask about  where South Harriman was and he told me it wasn't there anymore but a Dollar General Market now sets on the same property the school sat on. He told me make a right off the interstate and head into town and I would see the store on the right as it was on the corner where you make a right to go into downtown Harriman. There is a marker on the corner of that property that has South Harriman Pirates on it to so the old school is never forgotten. The football field they played on was a few blocks down going back to the interstate but an elementary school now sets on the old field. I saw pictures of the old field and the stands were concrete poured into a hillside on the back side of the elementary schools parking lot. It was easy to see where they would have been a long time ago that being the only hillside on the property plus the older man told me exactly where it was at also. As I mentioned the town is old and nothing new in sight and very understandable what is going on there. I've also visited old fields that are still there this past fall at Dayton, Spring City, Etowah, Englewood, Maury, Jefferson City and Sevier Counties old field last played on in 1974 and the fields are still there fifty years later.

I do the same thing barn,  I don't usually share my age but I am in my mid 20s and do that alot and appreciate old towns history. I've always wanted more info on why Harriman had two High schools until mid 60s south and the city school. I am from Athens currently live in Cleveland so I've always taken an interest in the Old local schools which I was had more on ducktown high school and copperhill before their consolidation. I believe my dad's mother went to vonore or Lanier. So I've always been a sucker for older schools. Curious about homestead and old Crossville red devils too