USJ looking for new head football coach

ReitzFan

1 hour ago, ReitzFan said:

Michael Stroup has resigned as the head football coach at USJ. He will become the new head coach at Gallitan Hugh School. Before going to USJ, he was the head coach at Scotts Hill.

USJ will be moving to from Division 2 Class A to D2 Class AA for the 2023 football season.

Kinda shocked by this news. Heard a west Tn guy was taking the job but never dreamed it would be Stroup. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 12:33 PM, Tigersandcats said:

Kinda shocked by this news. Heard a west Tn guy was taking the job but never dreamed it would be Stroup. 

Not really shocked considering the fact he had prior coaching stints at public schools.  It only makes sense to take advantage of the State of Tennessee pension plan for educators.  

3 hours ago, cbg said:

Not really shocked considering the fact he had prior coaching stints at public schools.  It only makes sense to take advantage of the State of Tennessee pension plan for educators.  

Stroup is nobody's fool and that was probably considered while making his decision, but I can tell you that it was way down on the list...he's a God-fearing family man and a football coach before monetary gains come into play. The USJ gig had soured over time (different Headmaster with different philosophy), and the reason he was chosen to coach there didn't matter to administration much anymore. While interviewing for the USJ job the former Headmaster's comments were about the way he carried himself, connected with the student athletes, and his treatment of them while coaching the all-star team on their campus before anything "football related". He made the move to Gallitan with family his first consideration, and winning football games next on the list...I'll also bet that the biggest question he had about the Gallitan job offer was asked from his knees.

5 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Stroup is nobody's fool and that was probably considered while making his decision, but I can tell you that it was way down on the list...he's a God-fearing family man and a football coach before monetary gains come into play. The USJ gig had soured over time (different Headmaster with different philosophy), and the reason he was chosen to coach there didn't matter to administration much anymore. While interviewing for the USJ job the former Headmaster's comments were about the way he carried himself, connected with the student athletes, and his treatment of them while coaching the all-star team on their campus before anything "football related". He made the move to Gallitan with family his first consideration, and winning football games next on the list...I'll also bet that the biggest question he had about the Gallitan job offer was asked from his knees.

Someone can be a great football coach and God-fearing man, but you have to set yourself up for retirement or you’re a fool.  There is absolutely no 401K plan for educators that will pay out the amount in interest that a defined benefit pension plan will pay.  A person would have to take out a portion of the principal each month from a 401K and you then run the risk of completely running out of funds depending on how long someone lives.  Thats just the state pension plan and we have not even discussed the health insurance plan for retired state employees.  

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cbg said:

Someone can be a great football coach and God fearing man but you have to set yourself up for retirement or you’re a fool.  There is absolutely no 401K plan for educators that will pay out the amount in interest that a defined pension plan will pay.  A person would have to take out a portion of the principal each month and you run them risk of completely running out of funds depending on how long someone lives.  That just the state pension plan we have not even discussed the health insurance plan for retired state employees.  

Correct

4 hours ago, cbg said:

Someone can be a great football coach and God-fearing man, but you have to set yourself up for retirement or you’re a fool.  There is absolutely no 401K plan for educators that will pay out the amount in interest that a defined benefit pension plan will pay.  A person would have to take out a portion of the principal each month from a 401K and you then run the risk of completely running out of funds depending on how long someone lives.  Thats just the state pension plan and we have not even discussed the health insurance plan for retired state employees.  

I'm no doubt getting old...seems as if everyone on the 'T these days enjoys splitting hairs in order to disagree, when in reality there's very little disagreement between viewpoints. My post comments were to enlighten folks as to the reason(s) that the Stroup family made the move and dispel some of the gossip (moving up in class, USJ looking to make a change, ect...), not to debate his business savvy, finances, pension plan, or insurance. Take what I posted to heart or believe absolutely none of it and make up your own mind, I couldn't possibly care less either way...

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I'm no doubt getting old...seems as if everyone on the 'T these days enjoys splitting hairs in order to disagree, when in reality there's very little disagreement between viewpoints. My post comments were to enlighten folks as to the reason(s) that the Stroup family made the move and dispel some of the gossip (moving up in class, USJ looking to make a change, ect...), not to debate his business savvy, finances, pension plan, or insurance. Take what I posted to heart or believe absolutely none of it and make up your own mind, I couldn't possibly care less either way...

Dinosaur.