USJ looking for new head football coach

ReitzFan

Congrats to Coach Stroup and Gallatin! He runs a good program and will have them in the mix year in and year out. Hope we hear more from his QB son down the line as well! 

That list of applicants to replace him would be like the NOC list from Mission Impossible if it ever got released ;) Great thing about USJ football is it’s never boring!!

1 hour ago, Kublah said:

Congrats to Coach Stroup and Gallatin! He runs a good program and will have them in the mix year in and year out. Hope we hear more from his QB son down the line as well! 

That list of applicants to replace him would be like the NOC list from Mission Impossible if it ever got released ;) Great thing about USJ football is it’s never boring!!

Interesting to see an article released earlier in the week and then retracted. Wonder if they will hire the guy mentioned in the original article after all is said and done. I know they have an interview Tuesday so things are still underway

16 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Interesting to see an article released earlier in the week and then retracted. Wonder if they will hire the guy mentioned in the original article after all is said and done. I know they have an interview Tuesday so things are still underway

I’ve been a bit out of the loop and totally missed this. Who was definitely not named? ;) or at least a hint?

On 1/29/2023 at 11:57 AM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Yep, a certain news organization definitely jumped the gun and gave out faulty information 

1 hour ago, ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood said:

Heard him hinted at for Gallatin now USJ.  Why's he want out of Brownsville so bad?

I have no first-hand knowledge of what Coach Smith may or may not do, but I can list several reasons why he might consider leaving.

1.     There’s no way Haywood, or any other public school system in West Tennessee, can match the salary USJ will offer him.

2.     Haywood High is in shambles…no discipline, kids in control, fights, threats, low test scores…you name it!

3.     Large numbers of students are leaving the system for Crockett Co. and the Jackson privates, and who can blame them.

4.     I realize money is a problem, but the county commission and school board can’t, or won’t, support athletics.  Just empty talk about a new stadium with a turf field and an athletic training facility.  The training facility might happen, but I won’t believe it until I see it. (Haywood is rapidly falling behind other systems in West Tennessee as far as facilities are concerned.)

Let’s face it.  With his resume, Coach Smith could quit today, and have a job tomorrow. I hope he stays, but I can see why he might choose to leave. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, stacmot said:

I have no first-hand knowledge of what Coach Smith may or may not do, but I can list several reasons why he might consider leaving.

1.     There’s no way Haywood, or any other public school system in West Tennessee, can match the salary USJ will offer him.

2.     Haywood High is in shambles…no discipline, kids in control, fights, threats, low test scores…you name it!

3.     Large numbers of students are leaving the system for Crockett Co. and the Jackson privates, and who can blame them.

4.     I realize money is a problem, but the county commission and school board can’t, or won’t, support athletics.  Just empty talk about a new stadium with a turf field and an athletic training facility.  The training facility might happen, but I won’t believe it until I see it. (Haywood is rapidly falling behind other systems in West Tennessee as far as facilities are concerned.)

Let’s face it.  With his resume, Coach Smith could quit today, and have a job tomorrow. I hope he stays, but I can see why he might choose to leave. 

I mean since he threw his hat into the ring for Gallatin, might as well do the same with Blackman. IMO, should have never left Germantown to begin with

• Upvote 1