USJ looking for new head football coach

ReitzFan

The “Daddy’s” stuff is overrated at USJ. Guess what everybody’s Dad is someone there. Compare that to small towns where you might have just one or two influential families controlling things. Sure there is pressure to win but that’s true of any good program. Same as Milan. Stroup is a solid coach, but USJ won before and will win after. Even bumping up we should be in the mix for a region championship next year. 

16 hours ago, tradertwo said:

The facilities will remain, but the offensive scheme went out the door with the former HC...be interesting to see if that consistence you spoke of stays or if it left with Stroup too.

I don't think USJ is going to settle for an average coach. USJ has always produced good quarterbacks, a solid receiver, and a running back that'll get the job done. I don't think they'll hire a coach that will change their offense to the Wing T/Triple option that Huntingdon and Covington will run. They have enough athletes to not run that, and that offense usually struggles  if USJ is trailing in the 4th quarter...

They've always had good offenses regardless of the coach, Stroup added a twist to it that is entertaining, balanced, and make it fun for the players.

7 hours ago, TNbuck84 said:

this is just water-cooler talk I've heard from dads, but is there any chance they pursue either of the two private school coaches already in town? 

No. First, Butler has a kid playing with him at TCA, and another one that is a freshman or sophomore. I don't think Palmer would leave what he started to take a job that has some pressure to it. JCS is in good hands, and I do think Palmer knows that, and wouldn't risk that.

19 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

No. First, Butler has a kid playing with him at TCA, and another one that is a freshman or sophomore. I don't think Palmer would leave what he started to take a job that has some pressure to it. JCS is in good hands, and I do think Palmer knows that, and wouldn't risk that.

Butler seems pretty dug in at TCA. He's been there a while and you mentioned his kids playing. Not to mention the Thompkins kid. He'll be the best player in D-II A by his junior year if not the end of 2023. He's special. 

Edited by ItsAlwaysSunnyInAtwood

23 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I don't think USJ is going to settle for an average coach. USJ has always produced good quarterbacks, a solid receiver, and a running back that'll get the job done. I don't think they'll hire a coach that will change their offense to the Wing T/Triple option that Huntingdon and Covington will run. They have enough athletes to not run that, and that offense usually struggles  if USJ is trailing in the 4th quarter...

They've always had good offenses regardless of the coach, Stroup added a twist to it that is entertaining, balanced, and make it fun for the players.

They'll get a good coach...the USJ job is "high profile" and comes with a good salary, so the only way that they get mediocre or worse is if that's the intention from the get-go, and alumni would never allow for it to happen. Just for the record, I don't think that Stroup left because of "daddy ball" or any other pressure from the outside (administration included). Stroup was sought out and hired for his demeanor toward students, communication skills, and his ability to lead and mentor, not just his aptitude for coaching a group of kids into a winning football team. The new Headmaster doesn't seem to grasp the benefits of athletics within the education system, and the philosophy of "if we're going to do it, let's do it as well as we can" that Coach Stroup believed in. 

3 hours ago, tradertwo said:

They'll get a good coach...the USJ job is "high profile" and comes with a good salary, so the only way that they get mediocre or worse is if that's the intention from the get-go, and alumni would never allow for it to happen. Just for the record, I don't think that Stroup left because of "daddy ball" or any other pressure from the outside (administration included). Stroup was sought out and hired for his demeanor toward students, communication skills, and his ability to lead and mentor, not just his aptitude for coaching a group of kids into a winning football team. The new Headmaster doesn't seem to grasp the benefits of athletics within the education system, and the philosophy of "if we're going to do it, let's do it as well as we can" that Coach Stroup believed in. 

Agreed, I don’t think he left for those reasons either. I think Stroup knew the challenges he had to face prior to taking the USJ job, and I thought he handled them well. I really thought last years (I’ve already moved to viewing “this year” as 2023) was one of USJ’s best teams in school history. I know that region is extremely weak, but the game against JCS and Hardin County speak for itself.

5 minutes ago, Rockytoptomcat said:

Sincere question here. IMO USJ head coaching job is the best job for sure in Jackson and arguably in west Tn outside of Memphis. As far as salary goes, at least I’m assuming. Ever since Coach Marley left they have had a hard time keeping anyone. Why is that? 

Don't be an instigator. There are also several programs that had multiple head coaches the same time Marley left USJ.

Rusty Bradley came for one year while we had the #1 player in the country and college coaches visiting every week and watching our film... I think Stroup was here five or six years. That’s not a bad tenure. Marley was here for like 25 years or so before that. I think everybody would love a coach to stay forever and win 9-10 games every season, but the risk of hiring talented and ambitious coaches is they want to keep moving their way higher in their profession. The job Stroup took (6A in Middle TN) is no cake walk.

49 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Don't be an instigator. There are also several programs that had multiple head coaches the same time Marley left USJ.

Not being an instigator! I am well aware of the turnover at west Tn schools in that timeframe. My Haywood probably has more turnover than y’all do between Massey and Marley. I know why Haywood has had coaching changes. Why has USJ?