It's that time of year

HTV

21 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

We're living in the new generation where "My boy isn't going to play second fiddle to no body". Six years ago Maryville had nine quarterbacks this year they had two. They already had two and one transfers to Maryville and one quits. This will be a never ending thing with the qb position no matter what team it is. Just like college and the transfer portal, no body is going to be anyone's back up or off they go to another school. just hope the real transfer portal doesn't happen to high school football or we'll have a dozen schools using the rest as it's minor league system. Privates already play that game but when public schools do we'll be in a mess.

It’s a symptom of the times we live in. Life is adversity, but nobody wants to deal with it anymore. Everybody wants the easy road. That’s ok, we all have to face it someday. The sooner the better. 

Edited by SweetScience

When a young man I put several years of time and energy into helping grow as a player, student and person jumped ship his senior year for what he and his father thought were greener pastures (with the encouragement of the other school's HC), I knew it was time to get out of coaching. I still love what happens on Friday nights between the the sidelines, but it's no longer worth what coaches have to put up with. Sadly changes in player/parent expectations and the trickle down negative influences from the NFL and college have really changed the game at the HS level. I'm just not interested in recruiting or competing to keep transfers, NIL deals, social media, entitled kids and parents, elite 7 on 7 leagues, camps and combines, fund raising to have multiple new uniform combinations every year, etc. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, camppack said:

When a young man I put several years of time and energy into helping grow as a player, student and person jumped ship his senior year for what he and his father thought were greener pastures (with the encouragement of the other school's HC), I knew it was time to get out of coaching. I still love what happens on Friday nights between the the sidelines, but it's no longer worth what coaches have to put up with. Sadly changes in player/parent expectations and the trickle down negative influences from the NFL and college have really changed the game at the HS level. I'm just not interested in recruiting or competing to keep transfers, NIL deals, social media, entitled kids and parents, elite 7 on 7 leagues, camps and combines, fund raising to have multiple new uniform combinations every year, etc. 

I don’t blame you and totally understand. The simple intangibles that for years made high school football the joy it was are no more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mhs said:

I don’t blame you and totally understand. The simple intangibles that for years made high school football the joy it was are no more.

In the last 24 hours I saw tweets teasing the upcoming reveal of a local high school's "16 uniform combinations" for next season, a HS player hawking tee shirts from a company he has an NIL deal with and a HS player promoting training with D1. 

17 hours ago, camppack said:

In the last 24 hours I saw tweets teasing the upcoming reveal of a local high school's "16 uniform combinations" for next season, a HS player hawking tee shirts from a company he has an NIL deal with and a HS player promoting training with D1. 

Yep

4 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

Housing market in Bearden has always been good. Actually the Bearden housing market is in the West HS zone. Bearden HS is more in the Cedar Bluff/Ebenezer/North shore area West of Pellissippi Pkwy. 

Interesting how the housing market in Fountain City was favorable to Carter families for a few years. 

On 1/6/2023 at 6:14 PM, SweetScience said:

It’s a symptom of the times we live in. Life is adversity, but nobody wants to deal with it anymore. Everybody wants the easy road. That’s ok, we all have to face it someday. The sooner the better. 

Why are we trying to act like this is a new thing?  It's happened for years.  Has nothing to do with "the times we live in."  It's human nature.  Grass is greener, etc.

• Upvote 1