It's that time of year

HTV

14 minutes ago, HTV said:

Yep.  That's where a principal and AD have to do their jobs and be sure it's a legit move in to the zone.  We saw what happens when they don't a few years back in our part of the county.  

But as long as a youngster starts as a freshman at a school it doesn't matter where they actually live in Tennessee as long as it's with a parent or legal guardian, according to TSSAA rules.  They are eligible.  

Scenario: * Player goes to High School 1 and moves during his freshman year to High School 2's zone.  

*Principal at High School 1 allows player to remain at High School 1 for the remainder of the semester (rest of year.)

*Player gets an approved transfer through Knox County Schools to stay at High School 1 for his sophomore year (even though he is now living in High School 2's zone). 

Question:  Is that player still eligible to play considering he never left High School 1 and got the approval from Knox Co. schools? 

Thank you. 

22 minutes ago, HTV said:

Yep.  That's where a principal and AD have to do their jobs and be sure it's a legit move in to the zone.  We saw what happens when they don't a few years back in our part of the county.  

But as long as a youngster starts as a freshman at a school it doesn't matter where they actually live in Tennessee as long as it's with a parent or legal guardian, according to TSSAA rules.  They are eligible.  

Unless the player played as an 8th grader on a varsity team.

7 minutes ago, footballknox said:

Scenario: * Player goes to High School 1 and moves during his freshman year to High School 2's zone.  

*Principal at High School 1 allows player to remain at High School 1 for the remainder of the semester (rest of year.)

*Player gets an approved transfer through Knox County Schools to stay at High School 1 for his sophomore year (even though he is now living in High School 2's zone). 

Question:  Is that player still eligible to play considering he never left High School 1 and got the approval from Knox Co. schools? 

Thank you. 

If I understand the scenario, it's my belief that he would.  If he never left the school and got the transfer through Knox County and wasn't enrolled elsewhere, I don't see the issue.  

• Like 1

Just now, HTV said:

Is that not a grey area?  

Not saying you aren't correct.  I don't know about that scenario.  

If a TSSAA school has on the same campus both high school and middle school, an 8th grader can participate in varsity sports. I think if an 8th grader in that scenario participated in varsity sports then the eligibility record  would start in 8th grade.

Just now, footballknox said:

Player did NOT play as an 8th grader on a varsity team.  

Player did get some varsity playing time as a freshman. 

I'm not sure we are talking about the same scenario.  

But, if a student does not participate in high school athletics as an 8th grader, then they don't have a high school athletic record.  

Just now, BigTime1950 said:

If a TSSAA school has on the same campus both high school and middle school, an 8th grader can participate in varsity sports. I think if an 8th grader in that scenario participated in varsity sports then the eligibility record  would start in 8th grade.

Understand that 8th graders can play if the school is on the same campus.  Just don't know about being eligible elsewhere as a freshman, so I will defer to you.  

Just now, HTV said:

I'm not sure we are talking about the same scenario.  

But, if a student does not participate in high school athletics as an 8th grader, then they don't have a high school athletic record.  

I am not talking about a specific player. I am giving an example where eligibility record would start in 8th grade.

• Upvote 1