Maryville Invitational

TotallynotLEO

I didn't get to watch everything.  A couple of highlights were the 195lb finals between Medina and Stadl. Crazy back and forth match.  Easily match of the day.  Medina has wrestled a lot this year and is already in late season form. Stadl is, IMO, a better technical wrestler from a techniques stand point but Medinas length and athleticism are a problem for anyone. Great match and possibly a preview of state quarters or finals.  They'll meet again at sectionals I'm sure. 

Peyton Cooper is a beast. I've talked him several times and he's always such a genuinely nice kid. But, he's also a fierce competitor. If you were there,  you saw it.  Kid is on a mission and really put it on the NCS kid. 

CAK kid at 182lbs is solid all around.  

Miller kid at 113lbs for SH is solid around. 

I think the tournament over all was a bit down this year with so many other teams at Brimer and Drennen. Still a good tournament and fun. 

Soddy was there and has some solid kids.  If AC was small school,  like they should be,  it'd be a great dual between the two. They were 1.5 points apart.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, TotallynotLEO said:

I didn't get to watch everything.  A couple of highlights were the 195lb finals between Medina and Stadl. Crazy back and forth match.  Easily match of the day.  Medina has wrestled a lot this year and is already in late season form. Stadl is, IMO, a better technical wrestler from a techniques stand point but Medinas length and athleticism are a problem for anyone. Great match and possibly a preview of state quarters or finals.  They'll meet again at sectionals I'm sure. 

Peyton Cooper is a beast. I've talked him several times and he's always such a genuinely nice kid. But, he's also a fierce competitor. If you were there,  you saw it.  Kid is on a mission and really put it on the NCS kid. 

I think the tournament over all was a bit down this year with so many other teams at Brimer and Drennen. Still a good tournament and fun. 

Soddy was there and has some solid kids.  If AC was small school,  like they should be,  it'd be a great dual between the two. They were 1.5 points apart.  

Appreciate the positive feedback. 

8 hours ago, TotallynotLEO said:

Soddy only took 11 and one of those missing was their very good 113lb Flavin who I think runner ups. So although 1.5 difference Soddy would beat AC. 

Edited by cobrakid8

24 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Soddy only took 11 and one of those missing was their very good 113lb Flavin who I think runner ups. So although 1.5 difference Soddy would beat AC. 

Possibly. We brought 11 for scoring too. Some of our guys were B team. 

Soddy is solid and getting close to where they used to be.  I've got nothing but love for them.  I wrestled for Soddy (way) back in the day.  I think it'd be a good dual is all I'm  saying.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, TotallynotLEO said:

Possibly. We brought 11 for scoring too. Some of our guys were B team. 

Soddy is solid and getting close to where they used to be.  I've got nothing but love for them.  I wrestled for Soddy (way) back in the day.  I think it'd be a good dual is all I'm  saying.

why would anyone take 12 kids in this case but only allow 11 of them to score points? I understand the 195 as there were 2 but 120 was the only AC wrestler in the weight and heck he even won a match. 

also unless something has happened since, PF beat the crap out of AC and Soddy beat PF pretty badly. 

12 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

why would anyone take 12 kids in this case but only allow 11 of them to score points? I understand the 195 as there were 2 but 120 was the only AC wrestler in the weight and heck he even won a match. 

also unless something has happened since, PF beat the crap out of AC and Soddy beat PF pretty badly. 

AC finished ahead of soddy Saturday... and when AC Faced pf they didn't have all their varsity... not saying AC beats pf or soddy,but they are definitely making strides and improving.

On 1/9/2023 at 10:16 AM, TotallynotLEO said:

That was our 113lb kid. He missed weight and bumped to 120lbs but didn't count for scoring since he bumped. 

Line ups change. Kids get on weight as the season goes.  We were still missing football kids through mid December.  

But i guess you're right,  we'd lose 84-0. Good thing we're not scheduled.  

most of his matches i show were at 120, so not sure i wouldnt have put him at 120 to begin with and given him another week to get his ascension down but i guess he isnt my wrestler

On 1/9/2023 at 12:30 PM, MatDad said:

AC finished ahead of soddy Saturday... and when AC Faced pf they didn't have all their varsity... not saying AC beats pf or soddy,but they are definitely making strides and improving.

again, Soddy was missing their 113 that easily finishes 2nd in that tournament. So we can make excuses all day that AC wasnt full strength when they faced PF and you can make that excuse but at the same time Soddy was missing someone that easily scores 10-20 points and AC doesnt finish ahead of Soddy. We shall see what happens at the end but either way none of them have anything for Signal so it really doesnt matter

I want to be clear.  This is just a friendly back and forth. SD has done great and is getting better,  fast.  Nothing but respect for what they have done. 

I was just observing that AC had a good tournament and finished well.  It would be an interesting dual of contrasting teams and styles if they met.  AC wins the upper weight classes.  SD hammers AC in the lighter weights.  Good luck to y'all this season! 

Edited by TotallynotLEO

22 hours ago, TotallynotLEO said:

I want to be clear.  This is just a friendly back and forth. SD has done great and is getting better,  fast.  Nothing but respect for what they have done. 

I was just observing that AC had a good tournament and finished well.  It would be an interesting dual of contrasting teams and styles if they met.  AC wins the upper weight classes.  SD hammers AC in the lighter weights.  Good luck to y'all this season! 

Oh yeah, very friendly back and forth, I love when teams work themselves into being a strong team and AC has done that and I’m proud of my Soddy boys(although it’s been 20+years) getting back to being pretty good. Had some very lean years and Ulric has done a great job getting them back into contention and the kids club has done a good job getting back to normal. Don’t think anyone really has much for Signal but after that is a toss up.