Wayne Co Football

BigCW

1 hour ago, BigCW said:

is that your definition of successful coaches that you mentioned in a previous post? 

No, he's hedging his bet by raising the bar after making the initial statement. I could be wrong too, but I've heard a surprising name or two in conversation about their job...there's definitely interest from successful head coaches.

31 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

No, he's hedging his bet by raising the bar after making the initial statement. I could be wrong too, but I've heard a surprising name or two in conversation about their job...there's definitely interest from successful head coaches.

The bar has not been raised and I am not hedging my bets.  My ultimate goal every season is to win a state championship.  The difficulty with that is that others have a difficult time buying into those goals because they are not willing to work hard enough and pay the price  

4 minutes ago, cbg said:

The bar has not been raised and I am not hedging my bets.  My ultimate goal every season is to win a state championship.  The difficulty with that is that others have a difficult time buying into those goals because they are not willing to work hard enough and pay the price  

All the hard work and price paying in the world will not make up for the lack of Jimmys and Joes.

Got to have players to win a state championship. 

19 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

All the hard work and price paying in the world will not make up for the lack of Jimmys and Joes.

Got to have players to win a state championship. 

Yes, the Jimmy’s and Joe’s make it easier but I have been a part of several teams that won state championships with much less talent than some of the other teams.  If you fail to work hard and make the necessary sacrifices to be a champion and the opportunity presents itself you will not be prepared to take advantage of that opportunity.  

On 1/17/2023 at 11:14 AM, cbg said:

Yes, the Jimmy’s and Joe’s make it easier but I have been a part of several teams that won state championships with much less talent than some of the other teams.  If you fail to work hard and make the necessary sacrifices to be a champion and the opportunity presents itself you will not be prepared to take advantage of that opportunity.  

It took Rick Rice 20 plus years to win one state championship, which wouldn't have been done without his son and an abnormally large senior class. He's a fantastic coach, but let's not get carried away. He had the Jimmy's and Joe's to get it done that season. He arguably had better talent a few years later and didn't get it done. Winning championships is hard with great talent, and virtually impossible at a place like Wayne Co. with average talent most of the time. There are MANY great coaches out there that have never won a championship and most likely never will. 

Edited by LeroyBrown

2 minutes ago, LeroyBrown said:

It took Rick Rice 20 plus years to win one state championship, which wouldn't have been done without his son and an abnormally large senior class. He's a fantastic coach, but let's not get carried away. He had the Jimmy's and Joe's to get it done that season. He arguably had better talent a few years later and didn't get it done. Winning championships is hard with great talent, and virtually impossible at a place like Wayne Co. with average talent most of the time. There are MANY great coaches out there that have never won a championship and most likely never will. 

Let's be careful how you throw around the term "GREAT" as the great ones win state championships.  I like to refer to the guys that go deep into the playoffs as good coaches.  Another thing that I caution people with is that in today's environment you really don't have to have a good team to make the playoffs due to the fact they take so many teams and Tennessee has nine (9) divisions in a state that has a population base of 7 million.  Now if you want to put everyone back together into five divisions and take the district champions and runner-up to the playoffs that is a different story.

13 minutes ago, cbg said:

Let's be careful how you throw around the term "GREAT" as the great ones win state championships.  I like to refer to the guys that go deep into the playoffs as good coaches.  Another thing that I caution people with is that in today's environment you really don't have to have a good team to make the playoffs due to the fact they take so many teams and Tennessee has nine (9) divisions in a state that has a population base of 7 million.  Now if you want to put everyone back together into five divisions and take the district champions and runner-up to the playoffs that is a different story.

LOL I think you're mixing up some of the "great" coaches with great recruiters. You put some of the "great" coaches you speak of at Collinwood, Wayne Co., Richland, Summertown, etc. and they would have exactly ZERO state championships. I personally have worked with some state championship coaches that were good, not great, they simply had better players. 

1 hour ago, LeroyBrown said:

LOL I think you're mixing up some of the "great" coaches with great recruiters. You put some of the "great" coaches you speak of at Collinwood, Wayne Co., Richland, Summertown, etc. and they would have exactly ZERO state championships. I personally have worked with some state championship coaches that were good, not great, they simply had better players. 

What you are saying sounds like sour grapes.  For anyone that has not coached teams that won multiple state championships it's easy to throw stones.  Believe me when I say that winning state championships is extremely difficult, and you must work that hard not only every year but every day.  What would the folks at WC say if the kids were required to participate in a strength & conditioning program during the season on Saturday mornings at 8:30am, Monday mornings at 6:00am and Thursday afternoons?  What about having mandatory film sessions on Sunday afternoon?  Would they be willing to workout every day except Christmas and Thanksgiving with the exception of the dead period.  It's ok if both the kids and parents don't wish to make that much of a commitment to high school football but that is exactly what some of the elite programs are doing.  

21 hours ago, cbg said:

What you are saying sounds like sour grapes.  For anyone that has not coached teams that won multiple state championships it's easy to throw stones.  Believe me when I say that winning state championships is extremely difficult, and you must work that hard not only every year but every day.  What would the folks at WC say if the kids were required to participate in a strength & conditioning program during the season on Saturday mornings at 8:30am, Monday mornings at 6:00am and Thursday afternoons?  What about having mandatory film sessions on Sunday afternoon?  Would they be willing to workout every day except Christmas and Thanksgiving with the exception of the dead period.  It's ok if both the kids and parents don't wish to make that much of a commitment to high school football but that is exactly what some of the elite programs are doing.  

Dozens of schools (including all of the ones I've coached at) do just that, and have zero championships. You can work harder than anyone in the state, but if you don't have the dudes, you're not winning jack crap. That's simply the reality of football, and any sport really. 

On 1/19/2023 at 9:33 AM, LeroyBrown said:

I remember his team that won it. He beat us  in the finals. They had great size and talent that year for 1A ball. His son was simply the best player on the field. We had some chances but couldn’t punch it in enough. Very good team!

• Like 1