Who should or could be the next football coach at Oak Ridge?

bounder

I asked about salaries because this is the challenge with Public Schools.  They are very limited on what they can pay their coaches.  Pretty much all of the salaries are the same regardless of what size school you coach at.  Why would a coach who has been very successful leave their current situation to rebuild another program for the same pay?  Also, if you are very successful, the private schools come calling and double your salary.  This leaves the administration stuck having to usually hire an up and comer or get very lucky and find somebody who is wanting a new challenge.  I don't envy Principals in having to make these hires.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vol9093 said:

I asked about salaries because this is the challenge with Public Schools.  They are very limited on what they can pay their coaches.  Pretty much all of the salaries are the same regardless of what size school you coach at.  Why would a coach who has been very successful leave their current situation to rebuild another program for the same pay?  Also, if you are very successful, the private schools come calling and double your salary.  This leaves the administration stuck having to usually hire an up and comer or get very lucky and find somebody who is wanting a new challenge.  I don't envy Principals in having to make these hires.

Oak Ridge has the highest average teachers' pay among all public schools in Tennessee.  If a coach is coming from another public high school, it is likely that he'd get a pretty fair raise plus a larger (than most) coaching supplement.

https://comptroller.tn.gov/content/dam/cot/orea/advanced-search/2021/Teachercompensation.pdf

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OldRebel2 said:

Oak Ridge has the highest average teachers' pay among all public schools in Tennessee.  If a coach is coming from another public high school, it is likely that he'd get a pretty fair raise plus a larger (than most) coaching supplement.

https://comptroller.tn.gov/content/dam/cot/orea/advanced-search/2021/Teachercompensation.pdf

but none of it is worth putting yourself in a situation with such turmoil

27 minutes ago, OldRebel2 said:

Yep. I know several who have gone from teaching/coaching in Knox County to Oak Ridge system schools.  They have all gotten substantial pay increases.  

Same from Knox County to Maryville and Alcoa City schools. 

19 minutes ago, HTV said:

Yep. I know several who have gone from teaching/coaching in Knox County to Oak Ridge system schools.  They have all gotten substantial pay increases.  

Same from Knox County to Maryville and Alcoa City schools. 

Yes. It's interesting the OR is #1, followed by Maryville at #2 and Alcoa at #3.  Sort of explains how Maryville and Alcoa have the same staff, year in and year out.

10 minutes ago, ILB1999WHS said:

and the way teacher salaries work, doesn't highest average salary just mean oldest staff on average?

TN teachers' starting salaries pretty much run the same way with the same three as the top three in the state (among public schools) so the teachers' ages don't necessarily have much to do with it.