Predictions for who makes it to state D1 and D2 boys duals

Wrestlingfan22

Page looked really good at the Vandergriff duals.

Halls looks great. I know they've had some kids sick lately but if they get them healthy (and I think they will) I would bet on them for small school state finals.  

Gibbs vs Crockett at that sectional will be a fun one to watch.  

I'm still thinking Soddy is going to surprise people,  they're solid.  

46 minutes ago, Koans said:

Signal wins Region over Soddy 40-33.  This should punch Signal's ticket.

Soddy goes to Pigeon Forge next

Soddy should beat PF and maybe even handily. That Signal and Soddy match was a slugfest, first match Soddy kid has the pin at heavyweight, a good 30-40 seconds on his back, but gets called after losing the arm in the headlock, Soddy kid ends up getting pinned. 3 techs for Soddy that should have been pins. I also hear Soddy has a new 106lber that should be ready for the next matchup and if true his name will be familiar around here and will lengthen that Soddy lineup. Will be a tough time for Signal to repeat this year if Halls and Greeneville are the real deal also. If not it might be Soddy/Signal in the finals and a rematch of last nights slugfest.

31 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Soddy should beat PF and maybe even handily. That Signal and Soddy match was a slugfest, first match Soddy kid has the pin at heavyweight, a good 30-40 seconds on his back, but gets called after losing the arm in the headlock, Soddy kid ends up getting pinned. 3 techs for Soddy that should have been pins. I also hear Soddy has a new 106lber that should be ready for the next matchup and if true his name will be familiar around here and will lengthen that Soddy lineup. Will be a tough time for Signal to repeat this year if Halls and Greeneville are the real deal also. If not it might be Soddy/Signal in the finals and a rematch of last nights slugfest.

I wouldn’t count Coach Forman out just yet.  Always has his kids ready 

On 1/19/2023 at 11:12 AM, TotallynotLEO said:

Greeneville still won at 220 with Lowery. I saw him earlier this year and said then he looks good. If Zac is back in the line up they can put Lowery back at 195 but he'd have to win against Gabe Ferrell.  Even if he got 6 there, a 12 point swing, DC still wins. 

Region 3/4 is Signal and Soddy imo. 

Small school overall is just a lot more fun and competitive.  

Looks like Greeneville is getting healthy at the right time.  Chrisman is back after being out a month to pin Laws in 2:44 and Lowery had is way with Gabe Ferrell in a 16-1 Tech Fall.  Greeneville avenged the early loss to DC 47-33 to win the region for the 11th straight year.

9 minutes ago, Pftigers said:

I wouldn’t count Coach Forman out just yet.  Always has his kids ready 

you can be ready all you want, but if you don't have the bullets to matchup with someone else it ends up not mattering. I went last night to watch Soddy for the first time in 5 or so years. I was expecting them to get beat 15-18 points because it can be really hard to give up 18 points right away to the brothers, but Soddy has some really really tough kids and PF just doesn't have the same team they usually have as far as strength from top to bottom. I say its a 15-20 point spread at the end of the night unless Soddy forfeits at the end if they are far enough ahead like they were with East Hamilton last night. Also if the 106 kid gets eligible to wrestle for Soddy and I hope he does since his family did move to Soddy, he should be a good matchup for Jojo and it will come down to who has to send who first at 106, 113, 120.  I will eat crow Friday night if PF ends up coming close to beating Soddy, but I just don't see it, no matter how good your coach is, you still have to have the wrestlers to make it count.

29 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

you can be ready all you want, but if you don't have the bullets to matchup with someone else it ends up not mattering. I went last night to watch Soddy for the first time in 5 or so years. I was expecting them to get beat 15-18 points because it can be really hard to give up 18 points right away to the brothers, but Soddy has some really really tough kids and PF just doesn't have the same team they usually have as far as strength from top to bottom. I say its a 15-20 point spread at the end of the night unless Soddy forfeits at the end if they are far enough ahead like they were with East Hamilton last night. Also if the 106 kid gets eligible to wrestle for Soddy and I hope he does since his family did move to Soddy, he should be a good matchup for Jojo and it will come down to who has to send who first at 106, 113, 120.  I will eat crow Friday night if PF ends up coming close to beating Soddy, but I just don't see it, no matter how good your coach is, you still have to have the wrestlers to make it count.

So where does Soddy win 160 and up  plus pf has cable lower.   I think it will be really close. Will be decided by bonus points 

25 minutes ago, Pftigers said:

So where does Soddy win 160 and up  plus pf has cable lower.   I think it will be really close. Will be decided by bonus points 

Soddy already beat them by 16 this season and Soddy has Turner and if 106 gets cleared by Friday they will have that. Soddy won by 16 and that was with both teams forfeiting 106 when Soddy had a 106 at that time and PF didnt. PF has a kid now it seems and so that might be a toss-up match, but Soddy has Turner now and Cosper who didnt wrestle in the first matchup and both are pretty tough little wrestlers, its why the Signal match was so close and gave Soddy a chance to win last night. 

You have Elijah Turner the son of Shane Turner(one of the best coaches in the state and maybe even the SE) he's at 170, you have Tucker Ross at 182 which is the brother of Truman Ross who won state at Hixson a few years back. Soddy has already won 170 against PF and barely loss 182 and I think Tucker maybe wins that matchup. Soddy also won 220 against PF but who knows what all weight movement and such will take place Friday night. But I still think Soddy wins comfortably and it wont come down to the last match of the night. But I guess we will all see what team shows up Friday night, it should be fun!

Edited by cobrakid8

Never smart to count out Coach Foreman and the Tigers. Think back to last year when they had a really down regular season for their standards. They nearly won it all again last year even without Garrett Foreman. 

I do give Soddy the slight edge though. Turner and Cosper will be tough to overcome as you say. 

I heard the Soddy v. Signal match was electric last night and standing room only. It Killed me having to miss it, I would have made the drive in if it hadn't been on a week day. 

Is the PF v. Soddy match tomorrow or Friday?

23 minutes ago, cowcatcher said:

Never smart to count out Coach Foreman and the Tigers. Think back to last year when they had a really down regular season for their standards. They nearly won it all again last year even without Garrett Foreman. 

I do give Soddy the slight edge though. Turner and Cosper will be tough to overcome as you say. 

I heard the Soddy v. Signal match was electric last night and standing room only. It Killed me having to miss it, I would have made the drive in if it hadn't been on a week day. 

Is the PF v. Soddy match tomorrow or Friday?

I probably wouldn't but Soddy has a very formidable brain trust itself with Ulric AND Shane coaching the Soddy boys. The turnaround in just one year is kind of crazy to see, I just hope the 106 is available Friday night as the Soddy kid is ok but the new kid is a hammer. It will be interesting to see how the weights are moved about as i think that is the only way PF keeps it close, even Signal did a little bit of moving that proved to win the match last night, moving Jojo to 113 to pin Flavin and let the other 106 beat Micah worked out well for them, but if Signal is the top team in A in the state PF is going to have a tough time with Soddy because Soddy had a good chance to win last night. 

Also they didnt almost win it last year, they prob should have finished 2nd but they finished 3rd and lost to Signal who win it all by 2 but also Signal forfeited the last 2 matches since it was wrapped up already. Who knows who all would have won those 2 and maybe PF would have and both by pin and it turned out the same, but either way they lost to Signal.

Edited by cobrakid8