Predictions for who makes it to state D1 and D2 boys duals

Wrestlingfan22

That makes more sense.  Still,  Gabe is a solid wrestler and to get a TF against him... whoa. Giving up that much weight makes a difference. 

Lots of kids are in the middle of a cut right now so it's tough to tell where they'll land.  

Gibbs vs Greeneville. I watched Lowery handle the Hubbs kid early in the season. He's at 184 now though.

11 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

I probably wouldn't but Soddy has a very formidable brain trust itself with Ulric AND Shane coaching the Soddy boys. The turnaround in just one year is kind of crazy to see, I just hope the 106 is available Friday night as the Soddy kid is ok but the new kid is a hammer. It will be interesting to see how the weights are moved about as i think that is the only way PF keeps it close, even Signal did a little bit of moving that proved to win the match last night, moving Jojo to 113 to pin Flavin and let the other 106 beat Micah worked out well for them, but if Signal is the top team in A in the state PF is going to have a tough time with Soddy because Soddy had a good chance to win last night. 

Also they didnt almost win it last year, they prob should have finished 2nd but they finished 3rd and lost to Signal who win it all by 2 but also Signal forfeited the last 2 matches since it was wrapped up already. Who knows who all would have won those 2 and maybe PF would have and both by pin and it turned out the same, but either way they lost to Signal.

From what I have heard Shane Turner is an excellent teacher of the sport, but I do not know many that would call him a "formidable brain trust." If this match comes down to what coaching staff devises the best game plan to get the most favorable match ups, it is a no brainer. Soddy Daisy is at a significant disadvantage in that category going up against one of the all-time most winning coaches in TN history. Again, I do give Soddy the edge simply due to the talent differential. 

I could be completely off with these predictions but I follow single A the most of the three divisions and have seen both teams wrestle this year. Here is how I see it playing out on Thursday...

106 - Hilton (SD) pins Zeglen (PF)     6-0 SD

113 - Flavin (SD) pins Rivera (PF)     12-0 SD

120 - Duncan (SD) pins Ruriboen (PF)    18-0 SD

126 - Cable (PF) dec. Lewis (SD)    18-3 SD

132 - Whalen (SD) dec. Pratt (PF)   21-3 SD *

138 - Cosper (SD) pins Monnin (PF)    27-3 SD

145 - Welch (SD) dec. Hood (PF)     30-3 SD *

152 - Rawlinson (SD) pins Lazrzbek     36-3 SD

160 - Howard (PF)  dec. Turner (SD)    36-6 SD

170 - Jackson (PF) pins Ross (SD)    36-12 SD

182 - Little (PF) pins Wade (SD)      36-18 SD

195 - Howard (PF) pins Laxton (SD)   36-24 SD

220 - Perez (PF) dec. Montgomery (SD)     36-27 SD

285 - Wolf (PF) pins Davis (SD) 36-33 SD 

For the Tigers to pull the upset they need to win one of the two toss ups that they lost in the first meeting at 132* or 145* or find bonus points with majors at 126 or 160.

I think a lot of people will be surprised to see how good Wyatt has gotten. No knock against Turner who is an absolute stud. I think Andy has a great chance to pick up a major dec. against Lewis as well if he wrestles how he did last year in the state tournament. 

Can't wait for this one! Two blue bloods, great for TN HS wrestling!

12 hours ago, Hamblin1 said:

Little confused here. What weight class was Lowery and Ferrell wrestling?

It was at 195lbs.  Attached are the Region Championship Results

GREENEVILLE 47

DAVID CROCKETT 33

120 — Carson Dupill (GHS) pinned James Mink, 1:10

126 — Josue Castillo (GHS) pinned Graham Carriger, 5:24

132 — Jake Ferrell (DC) won by forfeit

138 — Garrett Clark (DC) pinned Griffin Griunas, 1:45

145 — Hunter Mason (GHS) pinned Ethan Greear, 0:56

152 — Colin Dupill (GHS) pinned Felix Duncan, 0:35

160 — Dezsel Rambaad (DC) pinned Elijah Dabney, 1:08

170 — Colton Ferrell (DC) pinned Angus Herrell, 5:18

182 — David Ingle (DC) pinned Paul Anderson, 4:58

195 — Morgan Lowery (GHS) won by tech fall (16-1) over Gabe Ferrell

220 — Zac Chrisman (GHS) pinned John Laws, 2:44

285 — Christian Feltner (GHS) pinned Cameron Bailey, 3:40

106 — Blaine Smith (DC) won by decision over Gabe Oakley, 9-8

113 — Hunter Shelton (GHS) pinned Nolan Rankin, 0:43

Edited by Swipes

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

GREENEVILLE 47

DAVID CROCKETT 33

I said it before and I'll say it again, a lot of people have just forgotten how talented this Greeneville team is. They are good enough to win the duals, and have got to be the favorites at the individual tournament.

Colin, Carson, Hunter, Morgan, and Zac... that's 5 champions right there to Signal's 3 with the Uhorchucks. Does Signal even have any other placers outside of maybe the Davis kid?

Edited by cowcatcher

2 hours ago, Swipes said:

GREENEVILLE 47

DAVID CROCKETT 33

Yes sir that had already been cleared up. Thanks.

11 hours ago, cowcatcher said:

From what I have heard Shane Turner is an excellent teacher of the sport, but I do not know many that would call him a "formidable brain trust." If this match comes down to what coaching staff devises the best game plan to get the most favorable match ups, it is a no brainer. Soddy Daisy is at a significant disadvantage in that category going up against one of the all-time most winning coaches in TN history. Again, I do give Soddy the edge simply due to the talent differential. 

I could be completely off with these predictions but I follow single A the most of the three divisions and have seen both teams wrestle this year. Here is how I see it playing out on Thursday...

106 - Hilton (SD) pins Zeglen (PF)     6-0 SD

113 - Flavin (SD) pins Rivera (PF)     12-0 SD

120 - Duncan (SD) pins Ruriboen (PF)    18-0 SD

126 - Cable (PF) dec. Lewis (SD)    18-3 SD

132 - Whalen (SD) dec. Pratt (PF)   21-3 SD *

138 - Cosper (SD) pins Monnin (PF)    27-3 SD

145 - Welch (SD) dec. Hood (PF)     30-3 SD *

152 - Rawlinson (SD) pins Lazrzbek     36-3 SD

160 - Howard (PF)  dec. Turner (SD)    36-6 SD

170 - Jackson (PF) pins Ross (SD)    36-12 SD

182 - Little (PF) pins Wade (SD)      36-18 SD

195 - Howard (PF) pins Laxton (SD)   36-24 SD

220 - Perez (PF) dec. Montgomery (SD)     36-27 SD

285 - Wolf (PF) pins Davis (SD) 36-33 SD 

For the Tigers to pull the upset they need to win one of the two toss ups that they lost in the first meeting at 132* or 145* or find bonus points with majors at 126 or 160.

I think a lot of people will be surprised to see how good Wyatt has gotten. No knock against Turner who is an absolute stud. I think Andy has a great chance to pick up a major dec. against Lewis as well if he wrestles how he did last year in the state tournament. 

Can't wait for this one! Two blue bloods, great for TN HS wrestling!

So it should be a great matchup and there will prob be a ton of movement through the weights and again I hope Cole is wrestling for Soddy as that should also be a help. As far as not a braintrust, Shane and Ulric together is a very formidable team. They did really well the other night with their decisions and have brought this team up from the bottom fairly quickly. I would put them up against Foreman anytime as Shane has been one of the best youth coaches in the country much less just little ole TN and Foreman I hadn't really even heard about until they made the big and small split. I've been around wrestling in TN since mid to early 90's growing up with greats like Logdson, Al Miller, Simpson, Henry.

Should be a great time tomorrow night, if Soddy brings it like they did against Signal they should win by 10 or so. If the kids dont show up ready to wrestle though, they will head back home and PF will be heading to the state. Can't wait to see how it all ends up. As far as your picks there, it really depends on if Cole is able to wrestle, if he is they have the choice of moving everyone up a weight and Turner also wrestled 170 the other night with Rawlinson still a 160 and Ross wrestled 182 and he is a better wrestler in my opinion at least than Wade. It will come down as usual to which team can fight off the bonus points, giving up a tech instead of pin or a major instead of tech and such. I will say Soddy did not do well with that Tuesday night and to win they have to do better with that, while Signal did a very good job when needed with shaving points. Of course that doesnt have a lot to do with coaching but the wrestlers having ANY kind of situational awareness, because I know 2 of them were told to do anything but give up a pin and they still gave up pins in their matches. So I am hoping that Soddy does a better job of that Friday night. And of course it will also be interesting who has to send out which wrestler first, as a coach(yes I spent quite a bit of time coaching) you can have a gameplan but in the end it all comes down to if you send your wrestler out first or second on how you can move your weights around and it actually work out. 

Edited by cobrakid8

6 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

So it should be a great matchup and there will prob be a ton of movement through the weights and again I hope Cole is wrestling for Soddy as that should also be a help. As far as not a braintrust, Shane and Ulric together is a very formidable team. They did really well the other night with their decisions and have brought this team up from the bottom fairly quickly. I would put them up against Foreman anytime as Shane has been one of the best youth coaches in the country much less just little ole TN and Foreman I hadn't really even heard about until they made the big and small split. I've been around wrestling in TN since mid to early 90's growing up with greats like Logdson, Al Miller, Simpson, Henry.

Should be a great time tomorrow night, if Soddy brings it like they did against Signal they should win by 10 or so. If the kids dont show up ready to wrestle though, they will head back home and PF will be heading to the state. Can't wait to see how it all ends up. As far as your picks there, it really depends on if Cole is able to wrestle, if he is they have the choice of moving everyone up a weight and Turner also wrestled 170 the other night with Rawlinson still a 160 and Ross wrestled 182 and he is a better wrestler in my opinion at least than Wade. It will come down as usual to which team can fight off the bonus points, giving up a tech instead of pin or a major instead of tech and such. I will say Soddy did not do well with that Tuesday night and to win they have to do better with that, while Signal did a very good job when needed with shaving points. Of course that doesnt have a lot to do with coaching but the wrestlers having ANY kind of situational awareness, because I know 2 of them were told to do anything but give up a pin and they still gave up pins in their matches. So I am hoping that Soddy does a better job of that Friday night. And of course it will also be interesting who has to send out which wrestler first, as a coach(yes I spent quite a bit of time coaching) you can have a gameplan but in the end it all comes down to if you send your wrestler out first or second on how you can move your weights around and it actually work out. 

When you say you had never even heard of Foreman, you're either lying to make a point, which is fine or you're just showing how little you actually know. Foreman is one of the best coaches to ever come through the state and that's undeniable. Sure Turner might be a great youth coach as you say, but let's not pretend he is something that he is not. He is no mastermind like Foreman and the results over the years speak to that. If Soddy wins tomorrow night, which I predict they will, it will be because there's a talented differential. 

I also cannot imagine that Dyer is able to wrestle this year at Soddy unless some exception is made by the TSSAA and I doubt those are just handed out because someone loses a challenge match. That said, I do hate that for the kid and wish him nothing but the best. 

I like many others cannot wait to watch this dual tomorrow night! 

1 hour ago, cowcatcher said:

When you say you had never even heard of Foreman, you're either lying to make a point, which is fine or you're just showing how little you actually know. Foreman is one of the best coaches to ever come through the state and that's undeniable. Sure Turner might be a great youth coach as you say, but let's not pretend he is something that he is not. He is no mastermind like Foreman and the results over the years speak to that. If Soddy wins tomorrow night, which I predict they will, it will be because there's a talented differential. 

I also cannot imagine that Dyer is able to wrestle this year at Soddy unless some exception is made by the TSSAA and I doubt those are just handed out because someone loses a challenge match. That said, I do hate that for the kid and wish him nothing but the best. 

I like many others cannot wait to watch this dual tomorrow night! 

No, not lying, I mean before the split in early 2010 how well was he doing because I had never heard about him until they did the split. He’s done a great job in small school with PF, program is a pillar of that small school division. As far as mastermind lol lol that is a joke. Not sure you understand what a coach can and cannot really do. I helped coach at 2 different programs that won state titles in 2 different states. You can prob ask those coaches that they weren’t masterminds, they helped their wrestlers get better in practice and help keep them as healthy as possible to be ready for the end of the year, but at the end of the day they had to have the horses to make it work, as they say you can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig or you can’t turn chicken crap into chicken salad. The best they can do is get their wrestlers to wrestle their best, when it comes to moving weights and such it comes down to sometimes a lot of luck on who has to send out their wrestler first or second and the coach doesn’t have a choice with that. So mastermind is hilarious when referring to a coach. 

As for Dyer he moved, so who knows what will happen, I’ve seen TSSAA making some great decisions and some really stupid decisions. But if they keep with their rules and there is a bonafide address change he should be elig it just depends on when they get it completed.  

I have went over their lineups from all year and I will say it worries me more and more on PF getting the job done when looking at where everyone has settled out weight wise compared to the match earlier this year. It’s going to be a nail biter! 

Edited by cobrakid8

15 minutes ago, fooseball95 said:

I think it’s crazy Cole lost a wrestle off and all the sudden he’s moved lmaoooo, like stop it. Tssaa should no way allow this. But wish him the best 

You would have to ask Cole what happened and why he wanted the move. Maybe if you knew what happened you would understand, but rules are rules and kids move all the time from school to school, I mean I think it was crazy Cody wrestled for 2 years at McCallie, wrestled a year at Cleveland after all that and than just quit wrestling high school altogether, but in the end it’s what’s best for the kid and if I’m not mistaken Cole is a senior so I don’t blame him for a second.