Derek Rang new Oak Ridge coach.

SweetScience

45 minutes ago, catswild said:

I really was dying to know but if he's as good as you think, it was worth the wait! Thank you. Is he a friend of yours, or did you play at Maryville together?

I watched this young man since he was a kid come out to the Maryville system. He'll do good at Oak Ridge. Don't pay attention to any of the haters because things are fixing to change there for the better and a lot of people ain't going to like it when it happens.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I watched this young man since he was a kid come out to the Maryville system. He'll do good at Oak Ridge. Don't pay attention to any of the haters because things are fixing to change there for the better and a lot of people ain't going to like it when it happens.

Yep. The haters are on full display this evening. No surprise there. It’s like clockwork just about. Very predictable.

Edited by SweetScience

2 hours ago, GeorgeORMD said:

Can't help but to remember this:

https://www.knoxfocus.com/archives/the-daily-focus/powell-football-coach-derek-rang-resigns/

HC Experience

• Powell (2012)
  • Dresden (2014-16)
  • Gatlinburg Pittman (2017-20)
  • Lewis County (2022)
  • Oak Ridge (2023.....

So is he coach the 'ole ball coach' was waiting on? Off with Cummings and now Rang?? 

"Hold by beer" - Morgan Cruce

• Like 1

OR got a first class coach, this last year at Lewis Co has been the one of the best I can ever remember. I want to be mad that he’s leaving but I can’t because I have so much respect for Coach Rang. The kids loved him and he’s one of the smartest coaches I’ve ever been around. He’s only been here a year but I dare say most future coaches will be measured against him. Good luck OR and Coach Rang. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Sounds like a good fit to me. He is a winner wherever he went, I like the fact that he is young enough to relate to the players and has the energy to coach at this level, in fact, Coach Rang is the same age that Coach Gaddis was when he came to OR back in 1988.  It sounds like Coach Gaddis and Co did a thorough search and interview process this time. Coach Rang will have some good staff there and will have some good players left over from 2022. He inherits a pretty strange schedule, but the wins are in there. Good luck to him!!

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, HTV said:

Sevier County is pretty good.  Better than Knox County, but not as good as Oak Ridge/Maryville/Alcoa city systems.  

About the same actually, but knox county starts ahead, and is still ahead a 20 years experience (Unless you're a Doctor?).  I just googled it.

https://www.sevier.org/Page/7034

https://www.knoxschools.org/Page/16731

15 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I do remember when y'all said the same thing last year.