Derek Rang new Oak Ridge coach.

SweetScience

Hadn't read anything on this thread in a few day due to the big fire in Greenback. I'm looking forward to Derek's career at Oak Ridge and what he can bring to the table especially since he's one of our boy's from Maryville plus Oak Ridge being one of my other favorite teams. Most of us know each other away from the board and disagree from time to time. My wars are usually against the system and how things are mishandled and not against anyone on here even though I have stepped on someone's toes because of it from time to time. I don't pick sides and stay out of it if two are going at it about something. I do want to say I have very high regards for everyone on this thread and enjoy all the information each one shares even if another poster doesn't. I also want to say I miss Willie something awful and he was taken to early and wish he had been here to see the new era in Oak Ridge Football.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/24/2023 at 3:46 PM, HTV said:

Heard a little on the staff today, and what I heard I think the Oak Ridge folks will like.  

Not going to publicly say yet, since Derek hasn't released anything yet.  

I did see that they are having a meet and greet in the next week or two for the public to meet Derek and ask questions.  I'm sure Dave Clary or another one of the connected Oak Ridge folks can post something about it.  

most supportive group of fans around.  I can't recall any OR news they didn't like in recent memory, except for the principal leaving and even that bellyaching was minimal.

4 hours ago, ILB1999 said:

most supportive group of fans around.  I can't recall any OR news they didn't like in recent memory, except for the principal leaving and even that bellyaching was minimal.

How you been, ILB? Long time no talk. Hope you’ve been well, pal. Stop saying nice things about us, it doesn’t seem right. Only kidding ya.

Edited by SweetScience

They did post on OR Football Site that spring practice will start April 26 and have 9 practices from then until May 16. There will be a scrimmage on May 16 AT Rhea County at 6 PM it said.  OR Football does have a lot of guys running track and playing baseball so they may not be available for the practices and the scrimmage. Rhea County was a young team last year and when we played them in the playoffs last November, there were a lot of their players out injured. 

On 3/31/2023 at 6:23 PM, Cactus Jack said:

They did post on OR Football Site that spring practice will start April 26 and have 9 practices from then until May 16. There will be a scrimmage on May 16 AT Rhea County at 6 PM it said.  OR Football does have a lot of guys running track and playing baseball so they may not be available for the practices and the scrimmage. Rhea County was a young team last year and when we played them in the playoffs last November, there were a lot of their players out injured. 

Just following this thread, I feel Oak Ridge has really found their guy, and Coach Rang has found his long term home.

Edited by noonesfool
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, noonesfool said:

Just following this thread, I feel Oak Ridge has really found their guy, and Coach Rang has found his long term home.

Once Derek gets things going he'll do well at Oak Ridge. My advise to him is to stay put because he will have an abundance of good athletes at Oak Ridge and once his system is in place they will be hard to beat. Unlike Maryville we have hit a snag regarding great athletes and paid the price for it last year, we have good players but not a large group of difference makers as we did in the past. Oak Ridge's problems from the past are just minimal compared to an evaporating list of good athletes we once had here so I hope he will always keep that in mind.

6 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Once Derek gets things going he'll do well at Oak Ridge. My advise to him is to stay put because he will have an abundance of good athletes at Oak Ridge and once his system is in place they will be hard to beat. Unlike Maryville we have hit a snag regarding great athletes and paid the price for it last year, we have good players but not a large group of difference makers as we did in the past. Oak Ridge's problems from the past are just minimal compared to an evaporating list of good athletes we once had here so I hope he will always keep that in mind.

All true. Having seen OR against Greeneville, I thought the Cats had great skilled people. People tend to think only about skilled ballers and not the guys upfront. It was ugly upfront against the Devils. That is the challenge for Coach. You can rollout a 6’3 270lber and he may not even be close in looks compared to the 6’3, 270lber in front of him. Think Anderson County, they have had great skilled people for awhile, but the lines finally caught up.

5 hours ago, noonesfool said:

All true. Having seen OR against Greeneville, I thought the Cats had great skilled people. People tend to think only about skilled ballers and not the guys upfront. It was ugly upfront against the Devils. That is the challenge for Coach. You can rollout a 6’3 270lber and he may not even be close in looks compared to the 6’3, 270lber in front of him. Think Anderson County, they have had great skilled people for awhile, but the lines finally caught up.

I've heard my friends from OR mention the line several times the past few years. Rang has done very well at each stop he's been at so I expect him to develope that part as he goes. He knows from playing at Maryville when David Ellis who was one of the best offensive line coaches in the country what it takes and how vauable that part of the game is. Everyone talks about GQ all the time but had it not been for Ellis Maryville wouldn't have reach the success they did. I think Derek Rang and Hunt turned out to be the best students of the game under the GQ ERA.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I've heard my friends from OR mention the line several times the past few years. Rang has done very well at each stop he's been at so I expect him to develope that part as he goes. He knows from playing at Maryville when David Ellis who was one of the best offensive line coaches in the country what it takes and how vauable that part of the game is. Everyone talks about GQ all the time but had it not been for Ellis Maryville wouldn't have reach the success they did. I think Derek Rang and Hunt turned out to be the best students of the game under the GQ ERA.

He and Gaylor both were integral pieces to the GQ dynasty days.

Edited by SweetScience