Derek Rang new Oak Ridge coach.

SweetScience

On 4/22/2023 at 6:28 PM, SweetScience said:

That’s the mystery we’ve all been trying to figure out for going on 18 years now. While we did have the better team on paper, as we all know that doesn’t always translate to winning. There are all kinds of excuses and factors that could be mentioned, and I’m one of them that has made them throughout the years concerning that game, but at the end of the day Ravenwood was just the better team that night. 

No imagination on offense. They had pretty much run over everyone until that game. Played good enough D, not O.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ipb7 said:

No imagination on offense. They had pretty much run over everyone until that game. Played good enough D, not O.

Weather conditions had a lot to do with that. It was sleeting and windy. It was awful. They just flat blocked better than our OL did that night. TC Jennings (their QB name, I think) was super good at that bunny hop option they ran, too.

Edited by SweetScience

55 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Weather conditions had a lot to do with that. It was sleeting and windy. It was awful. They just flat blocked better than our OL did that night. TC Jennings (their QB name, I think) was super good at that bunny hop option they ran, too.

Really not trying to be a smart a**, but wasn't the weather bad for both teams?  

Hard for me to understand that line of thinking. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2023 at 11:34 AM, MurphyCollege said:

Why didn’t oak ridge win it all in 2005?

Good question. I think OR should have, but there were several things:

Too easy, too early, OR scored easily its first possession and it looked like a blowout coming, which of course it was not and once Ravenwood got the momentum, they controlled the game and OR could not get it back. 

Ravenwood set their defense to stop Spencer Gulmire running the ball and assigned the big linebacker (Becker I think) to simply go with him and tackle him every play, thus they negated the Oak RIdge running game. I also think the Ravenwood defensive line was better than thought and the Oak Ridge offensive line didn't block them well.

Weather, yes it rains and sleets on both sides too, but the big thing Oak Ridge was able to do in earlier games when teams loaded the box was throw over the top. The OR receivers were open a lot on that night but either defensive pressure on the quarterback or wind altering throws made it hard to get the ball to them.  Going in, most thought the Ravenwood corners were a weakness that could be exploited, but that was not able to get done. I thought OR should have looked to shorter throws and screens.

Ravenwood's zone read gave the Wildcat defense fits during the game, two long touchdown drives and also other time consuming drives, that while they did not lead to scores, they kept the Oak Ridge offense off the field and backed up.  The Ravenwood quarterback did an excellent job of running the offense. 

The big play was late in the game with the ball around the OR 48, and Ravenwood had a 4th and 4 with about 2 minutes left, leading 14-7. They lined up to punt and OR did not recognize the fake punt short snap that got them a first down and be able to run out the clock. There was no way they were going to punt, and OR shouldn't have even put a guy back to field it and should have played it as a regular down, not s punt. Ravenwood knew if they got the first down, the game was over, unless they turned it over, they knew if they didn't get the first down there was only two minutes left and their defense had been holding OR all night. It was a smart play on Ravenwood's part. They also did not want to risk a bad snap, punt block or the wind holding up the ball. 

Thats a big one that got away for sure....

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, HTV said:

Really not trying to be a smart a**, but wasn't the weather bad for both teams?  

Hard for me to understand that line of thinking. 

I was just replying to IPB’s response about there being no imagination on offense for OR that night. Hard to have much of any imagination in play calling when the weather was as bad as it was. It certainly affected both teams, which is why I said the Ravenwood OL flat blocked better than ours did, with the limited play calling because of the weather in that game. Like I said, they were the better team that night. I’ve always given them credit where it was due. No excuses here.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Good question. I think OR should have, but there were several things:

Too easy, too early, OR scored easily its first possession and it looked like a blowout coming, which of course it was not and once Ravenwood got the momentum, they controlled the game and OR could not get it back. 

Ravenwood set their defense to stop Spencer Gulmire running the ball and assigned the big linebacker (Becker I think) to simply go with him and tackle him every play, thus they negated the Oak RIdge running game. I also think the Ravenwood defensive line was better than thought and the Oak Ridge offensive line didn't block them well.

Weather, yes it rains and sleets on both sides too, but the big thing Oak Ridge was able to do in earlier games when teams loaded the box was throw over the top. The OR receivers were open a lot on that night but either defensive pressure on the quarterback or wind altering throws made it hard to get the ball to them.  Going in, most thought the Ravenwood corners were a weakness that could be exploited, but that was not able to get done. I thought OR should have looked to shorter throws and screens.

Ravenwood's zone read gave the Wildcat defense fits during the game, two long touchdown drives and also other time consuming drives, that while they did not lead to scores, they kept the Oak Ridge offense off the field and backed up.  The Ravenwood quarterback did an excellent job of running the offense. 

The big play was late in the game with the ball around the OR 48, and Ravenwood had a 4th and 4 with about 2 minutes left, leading 14-7. They lined up to punt and OR did not recognize the fake punt short snap that got them a first down and be able to run out the clock. There was no way they were going to punt, and OR shouldn't have even put a guy back to field it and should have played it as a regular down, not s punt. Ravenwood knew if they got the first down, the game was over, unless they turned it over, they knew if they didn't get the first down there was only two minutes left and their defense had been holding OR all night. It was a smart play on Ravenwood's part. They also did not want to risk a bad snap, punt block or the wind holding up the ball. 

Thats a big one that got away for sure....

Agreed. Good explanation. Becker as a spy on Gulmire really handcuffed the offense. He did a tremendous job at that. 

Edited by SweetScience

8 hours ago, SweetScience said:

I was just replying to IPB’s response about there being no imagination on offense for OR that night. Hard to have much of any imagination in play calling when the weather was as bad as it was. It certainly affected both teams, which is why I said the Ravenwood OL flat blocked better than ours did, with the limited play calling because of the weather in that game. Like I said, they were the better team that night. I’ve always given them credit where it was due. No excuses here.

Fair enough. 

Respect given. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2023 at 6:28 PM, SweetScience said:

That’s the mystery we’ve all been trying to figure out for going on 18 years now. While we did have the better team on paper, as we all know that doesn’t always translate to winning. There are all kinds of excuses and factors that could be mentioned, and I’m one of them that has made them throughout the years concerning that game, but at the end of the day Ravenwood was just the better team that night. 

Thanks for the reply. And I appreciate you showing respect to ravenwood, but who do you think wins 2 out of 3 that year?

19 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Just add him to your ignore list. And definitely hard to run the ball if you can’t take the top off the defense.