Derek Rang new Oak Ridge coach.

SweetScience

19 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

Good question. I think OR should have, but there were several things:

Too easy, too early, OR scored easily its first possession and it looked like a blowout coming, which of course it was not and once Ravenwood got the momentum, they controlled the game and OR could not get it back. 

Ravenwood set their defense to stop Spencer Gulmire running the ball and assigned the big linebacker (Becker I think) to simply go with him and tackle him every play, thus they negated the Oak RIdge running game. I also think the Ravenwood defensive line was better than thought and the Oak Ridge offensive line didn't block them well.

Weather, yes it rains and sleets on both sides too, but the big thing Oak Ridge was able to do in earlier games when teams loaded the box was throw over the top. The OR receivers were open a lot on that night but either defensive pressure on the quarterback or wind altering throws made it hard to get the ball to them.  Going in, most thought the Ravenwood corners were a weakness that could be exploited, but that was not able to get done. I thought OR should have looked to shorter throws and screens.

Ravenwood's zone read gave the Wildcat defense fits during the game, two long touchdown drives and also other time consuming drives, that while they did not lead to scores, they kept the Oak Ridge offense off the field and backed up.  The Ravenwood quarterback did an excellent job of running the offense. 

The big play was late in the game with the ball around the OR 48, and Ravenwood had a 4th and 4 with about 2 minutes left, leading 14-7. They lined up to punt and OR did not recognize the fake punt short snap that got them a first down and be able to run out the clock. There was no way they were going to punt, and OR shouldn't have even put a guy back to field it and should have played it as a regular down, not s punt. Ravenwood knew if they got the first down, the game was over, unless they turned it over, they knew if they didn't get the first down there was only two minutes left and their defense had been holding OR all night. It was a smart play on Ravenwood's part. They also did not want to risk a bad snap, punt block or the wind holding up the ball. 

Thats a big one that got away for sure....

This is an excellent breakdown of the game. Thanks for posting. Do you know if this game is online anywhere?

3 hours ago, MurphyCollege said:

This is an excellent breakdown of the game. Thanks for posting. Do you know if this game is online anywhere?

It might be, check Oak Ridge Football on YouTube. They have put a lot of OR games on YouTube and I think that one is. I have a DVD of it and it took me several years before I went back and watched it. OR missed a lot of opportunities in that game and did not make the necessary adjustments at halftime on offense to get the ball moving. 

3 hours ago, MurphyCollege said:

I like the bluntness!! Who was the coach?

Guess I'm already the bad guy so it was first year at Oak Ridge coach Stanton Stevens. And it went down hill from there. Folks just don't want to talk about it. Stanton was a good guy just didn't work out at Oak Ridge even though he was a formal player at the Ridge.

Just now, Cactus Jack said:

It might be, check Oak Ridge Football on YouTube. They have put a lot of OR games on YouTube and I think that one is. I have a DVD of it and it took me several years before I went back and watched it. OR missed a lot of opportunities in that game and did not make the necessary adjustments at halftime on offense to get the ball moving.  Oh I see they have posted above it is on there.

Just now, Cactus Jack said:

It might be, check Oak Ridge Football on YouTube. They have put a lot of OR games on YouTube and I think that one is. I have a DVD of it and it took me several years before I went back and watched it. OR missed a lot of opportunities in that game and did not make the necessary adjustments at halftime on offense to get the ball moving. 

On 4/26/2023 at 7:39 PM, bounder said:

Spring Practice started today, anybody go? I didn't make it since it was our 37th wedding anniversary didn't think the wife would want to go. 

I was going to go, but when I got to the practice field, they were getting ready for a track meet and I didn't know if they were inside or at Blankenship so I went on home. I checked and they will be back at the practice field next week. Kickers will probably be at Blankenship since they didn't put the goal posts back up after the track renovation, 

On 4/25/2023 at 9:22 AM, MurphyCollege said:

After watching the film, it was actually a 4th and 1, they lined up to try to draw us off and it didn't work so they lined up in a short punt formation and the quarterback was the punter and he simply took the snap and ran outside, easily picking up the first down and ending the game.  OR had no outside contain. 

On 4/25/2023 at 12:35 PM, Cactus Jack said:

What adjustments would you have liked to see?