Derek Rang new Oak Ridge coach.

SweetScience

On 4/25/2023 at 12:35 PM, bounder said:

Guess I'm already the bad guy so it was first year at Oak Ridge coach Stanton Stevens. And it went down hill from there. Folks just don't want to talk about it. Stanton was a good guy just didn't work out at Oak Ridge even though he was a formal player at the Ridge.

Sounds like this post didn’t age well then. 

oak ridge tradition+talent+pride+ a coach like Stanton Stevens. If not for courtesy sake, why even interview anyone else? If Oak Ridge has a chance to get this guy, they better take it. Hard to believe, but I hear that O.Ridge has several athletes roaming the halls that do not play football. A young, smart, energetic person like Stevens would have that long line of players coming off that hill during the opening kickoff. Did Lussier take any coaches with him? Will the new coach have the chance to bring some staff? Good luck in the search.

1 hour ago, MurphyCollege said:

What adjustments would you have liked to see?

I think running the fullback some, or run out of split backs and use fakes to Gulmire to freeze the defense, Maybe even the quarterback run more as well. Quick slant passes over the middle, if the receivers we had got inside position, one of those might have broke. Also. maybe put an extra back in to block for Gulmire on short yardage, lead on the linebacker. 

On defense, needed to get more help up front stopping the run, quarterback runs killed us in that game. We covered the pass pretty well, they didn't hurt us bad there.  I think the defense adjusted some after the first quarter, but still allowed them to flip the field, needed some three and outs for them on their end of the field to give the offense better start points. 

A break or two might have been nice too, credit to them with only one turnover, an interception on a deep ball that didn't hurt them. 

4 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

I think running the fullback some, or run out of split backs and use fakes to Gulmire to freeze the defense, Maybe even the quarterback run more as well. Quick slant passes over the middle, if the receivers we had got inside position, one of those might have broke. Also. maybe put an extra back in to block for Gulmire on short yardage, lead on the linebacker. 

On defense, needed to get more help up front stopping the run, quarterback runs killed us in that game. We covered the pass pretty well, they didn't hurt us bad there.  I think the defense adjusted some after the first quarter, but still allowed them to flip the field, needed some three and outs for them on their end of the field to give the offense better start points. 

A break or two might have been nice too, credit to them with only one turnover, an interception on a deep ball that didn't hurt them. 

I thought 33 had a couple nice blocks. I like what you’re thinking. It seemed like to me OR relied on the trick plays, couldn’t really put together a scheme to drive the ball downfield and score. Was Stanton in charge of the offense?  OR on defense gave up some big plays, but played good enough to win. I thought the raptor qb could be a little reckless with the ball. But to me this was a very good high school football game. 

3 hours ago, MurphyCollege said:

Thanks for sharing. Finally got to watch it. Looked like two good high school teams going at it. 

You’re welcome, buddy. Seems like that was Ravenwood first year as a school, if I’m not mistaken? Someone correct me if I’m wrong. I think they’ve won 3 total football championships in all. I know they beat Maryville one year, as well. Heck of a program for as long as it has been around. Always in the mix, it seems.

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

You’re welcome, buddy. Seems like that was Ravenwood first year as a school, if I’m not mistaken? Someone correct me if I’m wrong. I think they’ve won 3 total football championships in all. I know they beat Maryville one year, as well. Heck of a program for as long as it has been around. Always in the mix, it seems.

They have Two Gold Balls and 3 Silver Balls.  Not bad since only opening the school in 2002.  Sits in a Great area between Franklin and Brentwood and started getting pull from those areas, Nashville, and Brentwood Academy

On 4/28/2023 at 2:04 PM, MurphyCollege said:

I thought 33 had a couple nice blocks. I like what you’re thinking. It seemed like to me OR relied on the trick plays, couldn’t really put together a scheme to drive the ball downfield and score. Was Stanton in charge of the offense?  OR on defense gave up some big plays, but played good enough to win. I thought the raptor qb could be a little reckless with the ball. But to me this was a very good high school football game. 

33 was pretty fast, straight line fast, if he got through the line, he could go. I didn't look, but I didn't see him get the ball any, I thought faking to Gulmire and giving it to him on a pitch or faking the pitch trap to Gulmire, giving it to 33.  Aye, Stanton was calling the plays, I think he got a little frustrated when he couldn't get Gulmire going, and in the second helf the weather took away his liking of being able to go deep. The defense did play well enough to win, holding them to 14 points, but the offense wasn't at its best that night. 

On 4/28/2023 at 5:08 PM, Swipes said:

They have Two Gold Balls and 3 Silver Balls.  Not bad since only opening the school in 2002.  Sits in a Great area between Franklin and Brentwood and started getting pull from those areas, Nashville, and Brentwood Academy

Ravenwood will be a very tough opening round matchup for Alcoa. Especially on the road.......sigh. :wacko:

2 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

Ravenwood will be a very tough opening round matchup for Alcoa. Especially on the road.......sigh. :wacko:

I definitely agree but believe Nix will have them ready!  Alcoa has the toughest Non Region schedule out of everyone in public school division this year IMO.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Swipes said:

I definitely agree but believe Nix will have them ready!  Alcoa has the toughest Non Region schedule out of everyone in public school division this year IMO.

have you looked at ravenwood's non region schedule?

alcoa's non-region schedule - ravenwood was 6-5 in 6A, bearden was 7-5 in 6A, tottenville was 5-6, greeneville 12-1 in 4A, west 15-0 in 5A, maryville 10-4 in 6A.    

ravenwood's non-region schedule - oakland 14-1 in 6A, alcoa 14-1 in 3A, cane ridge 11-2 in 6A, smyrna 10-2 in 6A, blackman 10-3 in 6A

not even close IMHO.  : )

1 hour ago, theawesomebro said:

alcoa's non-region schedule - ravenwood was 6-5 in 6A, bearden was 7-5 in 6A, tottenville was 5-6, greeneville 12-1 in 4A, west 15-0 in 5A, maryville 10-4 in 6A.    

ravenwood's non-region schedule - oakland 14-1 in 6A, alcoa 14-1 in 3A, cane ridge 11-2 in 6A, smyrna 10-2 in 6A, blackman 10-3 in 6A

I have and believe Greeneville, Bearden, West, and Maryville are all better teams than Cane Ridge, Smyrna, and Blackman with what they have coming back this year.  Oakland is a different story

1 hour ago, theawesomebro said:

OK.....I'll play the IMHO game. Throw Ravenwood and Alcoa out as common opponents.

West last year would have played Oakland to the wire...IMHO.

Bearden, Greenville and Maryville would have been very competitive with Cane Ridge, Smyna and Blackman....IMHO! :)

I'd take Maryville to beat Cane Ridge, Blackman and Smyrna.....IMHO.

31 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

OK.....I'll play the IMHO game. Throw Ravenwood and Alcoa out as common opponents.

West last year would have played Oakland to the wire...IMHO.

Bearden, Greenville and Maryville would have been very competitive with Cane Ridge, Smyna and Blackman....IMHO! :)

I'd take Maryville to beat Cane Ridge, Blackman and Smyrna.....IMHO.

I see your points.  I think a 7-5 bearden isn't keeping up with 10 or 11 win teams.  I guess it depends on where you think the toughest 6A regions are.   it's fun to speculate in any case.

honest question...does anyone outside of knoxville think west would play oakland to the wire?

how about this?  ravenwood wins because they play alcoa and you play totenville?   : )

38 minutes ago, Swipes said:

I have and believe Greeneville, Bearden, West, and Maryville are all better teams than Cane Ridge, Smyrna, and Blackman with what they have coming back this year.  Oakland is a different story

I dont know enough to compare all those teams this year.  just looking at last year.  

I am glad ravenwood and alcoa are stepping outside of their normal areas.  we need more of this IMHO.  : )