Derek Rang new Oak Ridge coach.

SweetScience

20 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

I see your points.  I think a 7-5 bearden isn't keeping up with 10 or 11 win teams.  I guess it depends on where you think the toughest 6A regions are.   it's fun to speculate in any case.

honest question...does anyone outside of knoxville think west would play oakland to the wire?

how about this?  ravenwood wins because they play alcoa and you play totenville?   : )

I dont know enough to compare all those teams this year.  just looking at last year.  

I am glad ravenwood and alcoa are stepping outside of their normal areas.  we need more of this IMHO.  : )

That same 7-5 Bearden team had losses to the 5a and 4a State Champs, Maryville twice, and Farragut their rival by a TD.  Farragut beat Beech the 6a runner up who beat both Cane ridge and Smyrna so that 7-5 Bearden team wasn't a typical 7-5 team when you look at their losses.

I think any body that saw that Knox West team play in person last year would agree that Oakland VS West would have been a good game going down to the wire.  West had athletes all over the field and return quite a bit on D from that team this year.

I know Smyrna lost Carter, Cane Ridge always will have athletes so don't know who they have returning, and Blackman lost a lot of starters in the skill positions spots and have a new coach.  Bearden under Jones has kids transferring in every day ( Gallatin's 3 star RB to name one), West returns quite a bit on D, Maryville always has a top 5 6a team, ands Greeneville returns over half their starters on both O and D.

I agree I like seeing East vs Middle during the regular season.  It helps gage better across the state that way, not until the semi's and finals 

Edited by Swipes
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Swipes said:

That same 7-5 Bearden team had losses to the 5a and 4a State Champs, Maryville twice, and Farragut their rival by a TD.  Farragut beat Beech the 6a runner up who beat both Cane ridge and Smyrna so that 7-5 Bearden team wasn't a typical 7-5 team when you look at their losses.

I think any body that saw that Knox West team play in person last year would agree that Oakland VS West would have been a good game going down to the wire.  West had athletes all over the field and return quite a bit on D from that team this year.

I know Smyrna lost Carter, Cane Ridge always will have athletes so don't know who they have returning, and Blackman lost a lot of starters in the skill positions spots and have a new coach.  Bearden under Jones has kids transferring in every day ( Gallatin's 3 star RB to name one), West returns quite a bit on D, Maryville always has a top 5 6a team, ands Greeneville returns over half their starters on both O and D.

I agree I like seeing East vs Middle during the regular season.  It helps gage better across the state that way, not until the semi's and finals 

I appreciate the thoughtful response and have no argument.  except about west VS oakland.  : )

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

I see your points.  I think a 7-5 bearden isn't keeping up with 10 or 11 win teams.  I guess it depends on where you think the toughest 6A regions are.   it's fun to speculate in any case.

honest question...does anyone outside of knoxville think west would play oakland to the wire?

how about this?  ravenwood wins because they play alcoa and you play totenville?   : )

I dont know enough to compare all those teams this year.  just looking at last year.  

I am glad ravenwood and alcoa are stepping outside of their normal areas.  we need more of this IMHO.  : )

No real answer.......but, Sonny Moore's computer generated poll.......probably no better than our opinion...but, his last poll from last season (2022)......

#1 & #2 all teams regardless of classification.

image.png.d557430200ea89eb39da36eff9c1dea1.png

Then look at common opponents.

Maryville lost to West   18-31 (With Maryville's best player in the game)

Mayville lost to Oakland  15-38 (Without Maryville's best player in the game)

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

No real answer.......but, Sonny Moore's computer generated poll.......probably no better than our opinion...but, his last poll from last season (2022)......

#1 & #2 all teams regardless of classification.

image.png.d557430200ea89eb39da36eff9c1dea1.png

Then look at common opponents.

Maryville lost to West   18-31 (With Maryville's best player in the game)

Mayville lost to Oakland  15-38 (Without Maryville's best player in the game)

I think your best data point its the game comparison and it's a good one.  thanks for that.  I think you guys have changed my mind that it would have been a great match.  

another honest question - do you think they are the best 2 teams regardless of classification?  most other rankings had 1-3 D2 schools above both of them.

i will continue to point out that sonny moore does not count any out of state game AND considers the previous years so LA is missing 6 games in 2 years.  oakland is missing 2.  so it's worse than our opinion, IMHO.  : )

from sonny moore...

"The ratings are compiled by using only statistical and historical data. The most recent games played are more meaningful in compiling the ratings. Only games played against the teams in the ratings are used to formulate the power ratings."

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

I think your best data point its the game comparison and it's a good one.  thanks for that.  I think you guys have changed my mind that it would have been a great match.  

another honest question - do you think they are the best 2 teams regardless of classification?  most other rankings had 1-3 D2 schools above both of them.

i will continue to point out that sonny moore does not count any out of state game AND considers the previous years so LA is missing 6 games in 2 years.  oakland is missing 2.  so it's worse than our opinion, IMHO.  : )

from sonny moore...

"The ratings are compiled by using only statistical and historical data. The most recent games played are more meaningful in compiling the ratings. Only games played against the teams in the ratings are used to formulate the power ratings."

Yes, I agree SM poll is terrible. 

LA was clearly the best team last season. It will be interesting how that plays out with now that CTD has moved on........

34 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

Yes, I agree SM poll is terrible. 

LA was clearly the best team last season. It will be interesting how that plays out with now that CTD has moved on........

i think there might be a step back for a year or two but hopefully the result if more long lasting and less shall we say "abrasive" to our neighbors.  

sorry to hijack the OR thread.  back to derek rang!!

• Upvote 1

On 5/13/2023 at 5:13 PM, ipb7 said:

Anyone have any insights into Rang's staff?

Coaching Staff (oakridgefootball.net)

Head Coach
Derek Rang - Quarterbacks

Assistant Coaches
Kevin Day - Offensive Line, Strength & Conditioning
Zach Kassner - Offensive Line, Freshman
Voncé Henderson - Offensive / Defensive Backs
Ted Mitchell - Offensive / Defensive Backs
Rusty Partin - Running Backs
James Branson - Tight Ends, Equipment
Mike Kelly - Kickers/Punters
David Hawkins - Defensive Coordinator, Outside Linebackers