Who made a better hire? Cleveland or Oak Ridge?

ILB1999

1 minute ago, ILB1999WHS said:

sounds like quite an assumption in both cases.

OR is the best job Rang has ever had as an HC, so I think there is a decent chance he's there for awhile unless a bigger job opens up. Tygard hasn't been a HC as long so I think it's unfair to compare the 2. Blackman was a upgrade from his previous job and Cleveland is a major bump in pay from Blackman

I think both schools made good hires

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

OR is the best job Rang has ever had as an HC, so I think there is a decent chance he's there for awhile unless a bigger job opens up. Tygard hasn't been a HC as long so I think it's unfair to compare the 2. Blackman was a upgrade from his previous job and Cleveland is a major bump in pay from Blackman

I think both schools made good hires

Tygard turned the job offer down once in November/December... It didn't help that he got shot down on a request for a modest raise and ended up getting less than his assistants did in stipend...and the weight lifting program that he and Dr Justus fought hard to get worked out is getting cut in half. That said double the salary,  a commitment to upgrade the facilities, bonuses and transportation options

So, I will readily admit that I am biased, because Derek is still a good friend and I have never met Tygard.  But a have a good friend who knows him from covering his teams and tells me that Tygard is a really good football coach and a class act.  

But I can only speak to my opinion on Derek.  

Derek is a terrific coach as well.  And as I said before, he's the smartest football coach I have ever been around, and I was also around GQ.  Not saying he is going to have GQ success, that's just not realistic, nor that GQ wasn't smart.  He was and still is.  Derek has left every program he's been a part of better.  

I've often heard that he only had success at Powell because he had all of Matt's players.  And while Matt left the program in good shape, he didn't leave a lot of experienced players who had played when the games were on the line.  Matt's last team graduated 17 starters, including a running back who had set the state single season rushing yards record and rushing TDs record in a season and signed with an SEC school.  While he left some guys who had played, most hadn't really played when the game will in limbo.  

Derek did a great job that season at Powell.  He turned a guy who had started at WR his fist two years in to an all state QB and had a couple of 1,000 yard rushers on that team, or close to it.  I'd have to go back and look at the official stats that are on another computer  

And defensively Powell made a lot of progress during that year, and frankly, that was what got them to the semifinals.  

Bottom line - I've seen how he treats his coaches and players, and he wins football games.  What he's not is a bubbly personality who will stand around and have meaningless conversation when he could be working on football related things.  That doesn't mean he is boring and won't engage, but he's all business.  

Oak Ridge fans, give him an opportunity to work and he'll do fine.  I could see him having major success there.  

And same with Cleveland.  Have realistic expectations.  It's a different day in high school football in this state.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Blaze45 said:

Tygard turned the job offer down once in November/December... It didn't help that he got shot down on a request for a modest raise and ended up getting less than his assistants did in stipend...and the weight lifting program that he and Dr Justus fought hard to get worked out is getting cut in half. That said double the salary,  a commitment to upgrade the facilities, bonuses and transportation options

He had to make a tough choice, I still think Blackman can build with the young bucks they just honestly need to get tougher all the way around and cut the nonsense 

18 minutes ago, arshad221 said:

He had to make a tough choice, I still think Blackman can build with the young bucks they just honestly need to get tougher all the way around and cut the nonsense 

Blackman needs a DAWG mentality for sure. Something that I haven't seen since Connor Murphy was playing defense.... I think the world of Chandler and his family and I believe it is going to be hard pressed to find a balance between embracing the analytic side of the game with a grit grind mentality. It puts Blackman behind the eight ball for this season and as someone who has set through 16 seasons I can say I am less than excited to be starting over yet again. I have seen the stands packed and I have seen them darn near empty... the program was truly heading in a good direction. Lets see what enthusiasm the new Coach/coaches bring .... could be long season otherwise 

29 minutes ago, HTV said:

So, I will readily admit that I am biased, because Derek is still a good friend and I have never met Tygard.  But a have a good friend who knows him from covering his teams and tells me that Tygard is a really good football coach and a class act.  

But I can only speak to my opinion on Derek.  

Derek is a terrific coach as well.  And as I said before, he's the smartest football coach I have ever been around, and I was also around GQ.  Not saying he is going to have GQ success, that's just not realistic, nor that GQ wasn't smart.  He was and still is.  Derek has left every program he's been a part of better.  

I've often heard that he only had success at Powell because he had all of Matt's players.  And while Matt left the program in good shape, he didn't leave a lot of experienced players who had played when the games were on the line.  Matt's last team graduated 17 starters, including a running back who had set the state single season rushing yards record and rushing TDs record in a season and signed with an SEC school.  While he left some guys who had played, most hadn't really played when the game will in limbo.  

Derek did a great job that season at Powell.  He turned a guy who had started at WR his fist two years in to an all state QB and had a couple of 1,000 yard rushers on that team, or close to it.  I'd have to go back and look at the official stats that are on another computer  

And defensively Powell made a lot of progress during that year, and frankly, that was what got them to the semifinals.  

Bottom line - I've seen how he treats his coaches and players, and he wins football games.  What he's not is a bubbly personality who will stand around and have meaningless conversation when he could be working on football related things.  That doesn't mean he is boring and won't engage, but he's all business.  

Oak Ridge fans, give him an opportunity to work and he'll do fine.  I could see him having major success there.  

And same with Cleveland.  Have realistic expectations.  It's a different day in high school football in this state.  

Great information on Coach Rang. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Blaze45 said:

Blackman needs a DAWG mentality for sure. Something that I haven't seen since Connor Murphy was playing defense.... I think the world of Chandler and his family and I believe it is going to be hard pressed to find a balance between embracing the analytic side of the game with a grit grind mentality. It puts Blackman behind the eight ball for this season and as someone who has set through 16 seasons I can say I am less than excited to be starting over yet again. I have seen the stands packed and I have seen them darn near empty... the program was truly heading in a good direction. Lets see what enthusiasm the new Coach/coaches bring .... could be long season otherwise 

You’re right man, my son has two years left, I told him put your head down and grind. That class of 25 group really is talented I just wish some of the kids cut the cool kid diva stuff out.