Blackman

MidTennFootball

1 hour ago, workinprogress said:

Right, it's high school football not the NFL, and not middle school either. We can agree to disagree. If it were a small school it's probably not as big of a jump. But Blackman is not a small school. 

If I'm not mistaken Hughes from Fairview made that jump and has done well in 3A. He's the only one I can think of. 

I might be wrong but did Dustin Wilson at Springfield make that jump?  They went through quite a few at one point.  

On 1/30/2023 at 10:50 AM, arshad221 said:

If they do that a lot of kids will quit the team just being honest, he rubbed off on a lot of them the wrong way

Well let them quit. Pierce is the man for the job. It’s a catch 22 bc how many of those players will choose  to attend Blackman High School bc of their relationship with Pierce. I’d say a lot

Edited by JacKlass77

When Tygard took over Blackman a TON of kids quit... and coaches too.  I think if you want to beat Oakland, you have to hire a guy who can get us better in the trenches.  Hate it, but our O and D lines have been soft as butter.  Oakland has their head wrestling coach out there coaching linemen.  It has made a huge difference.  Watch film of Oakland's linemen vs Blackman.  Our kids arent strong and gritty and that is why we are getting beat. 

One of the biggest mistakes I ever seen at Blackman was back in 2009 or 2010 when they took out the weight room at the middle school.  They used to have a nice weight room across from the gym near coaches office, and Coach Greene had those kids in middle school excited about getting stronger.  Plus, he was teaching them proper lifting technique so when they got across the road, they knew what they were doing.  The last class to have that benefit was the 2013 team which went the semis.... and only lost to Maryville because Shad switched it up to try to showcase Jauan's arm.  They were bigger and stronger than any Blackman team since that time.

Edited by mat73557
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mat73557 said:

When Tygard took over Blackman a TON of kids quit... and coaches too.  I think if you want to beat Oakland, you have to hire a guy who can get us better in the trenches.  Hate it, but our O and D lines have been soft as butter.  Oakland has their head wrestling coach out there coaching linemen.  It has made a huge difference.  Watch film of Oakland's linemen vs Blackman.  Our kids arent strong and gritty and that is why we are getting beat. 

One of the biggest mistakes I ever seen at Blackman was back in 2009 or 2010 when they took out the weight room at the middle school.  They used to have a nice weight room across from the gym near coaches office, and Coach Greene had those kids in middle school excited about getting stronger.  Plus, he was teaching them proper lifting technique so when they got across the road, they knew what they were doing.  The last class to have that benefit was the 2013 team which went the semis.... and only lost to Maryville because Shad switched it up to try to showcase Jauan's arm.  They were bigger and stringer than any Blackman team since that time.

Well wait till you see this year's weight lifting schedule. The very thing that Justus and Tygard worked out  to have weightlifting period 1 is going to be swapped up so that it is every other day...... Half the reps... half the strength...every other day will be an instruction lead class ....

2 hours ago, mat73557 said:

One of the biggest mistakes I ever seen at Blackman was back in 2009 or 2010 when they took out the weight room at the middle school.  They used to have a nice weight room across from the gym near coaches office, and Coach Greene had those kids in middle school excited about getting stronger.  Plus, he was teaching them proper lifting technique so when they got across the road, they knew what they were doing.  The last class to have that benefit was the 2013 team which went the semis.... and only lost to Maryville because Shad switched it up to try to showcase Jauan's arm.  They were bigger and stringer than any Blackman team since that time.

First part of this isn’t true at all

2 hours ago, mat73557 said:

But I do agree with them being soft, but that’s cause over the years the kids have been lazy and it wasn’t nothing in place. Tygard worked with what was left behind and honestly he did great for how it was. Go look at my posts I’ve said this over and over the trenches and linebackers are soft. But again you had a coordinator playing Oakland wing t with four lineman and a light box smh 

The offensive line coach at Oakland is David Watson. He was former HC at Blackman.   Oakland's Defensive line coach is Coach Knox. He was the previous D line coach at Blackman. Alex Taylor was the former Offensive line coach at Blackman and he's now at Alcoa. Both Knox and Taylor were on staff when Tygard took over. Rumor is that Knox and Taylor were told that they weren't good enough to coach at this level. Oakland and Alcoa disagreed. 

6 hours ago, Vol9093 said:

The offensive line coach at Oakland is David Watson. He was former HC at Blackman.   Oakland's Defensive line coach is Coach Knox. He was the previous D line coach at Blackman. Alex Taylor was the former Offensive line coach at Blackman and he's now at Alcoa. Both Knox and Taylor were on staff when Tygard took over. Rumor is that Knox and Taylor were told that they weren't good enough to coach at this level. Oakland and Alcoa disagreed. 

Coach Knox is a very good coach. If i’m not mistaken he played at Blackman as well? He went to Creek for the first season and Oakland this season after he left. 

What heard was that Tygard told the entire staff that they had through spring practice to basically prove that they were a good fit for his staff. A few didn’t like the early morning practices, the Music with foul language blaring through the speakers every second, amongst other things and they decided that they were not a good fit. Which is understandable on both sides. 

6 hours ago, Vol9093 said:

I seriously doubt Tygard told them ‘they are not good enough’ lol seriously. Both guys are definitely good enough, but let’s be honest for a second Oakland and Alcoa are basically plug and play at the moment. Their coming did not change the outcome of any game. Not to diminish their assistance, but it would have been another guy and nothing changes. 

7 hours ago, Blaze45 said:

Well wait till you see this year's weight lifting schedule. The very thing that Justus and Tygard worked out  to have weightlifting period 1 is going to be swapped up so that it is every other day...... Half the reps... half the strength...every other day will be an instruction lead class ....

Is the weight lifting period longer now though? To be honest the school only able to do the bare minimum. These kids need to have trainers away from school. Weights, speed agility, and position. 

The school will do that basic ‘bigger faster stronger’ percentage workout. Then the kids go to dead period, or don’t show up to summer workouts and it’s pointless. It’s on the kid as much as the coaches to put in work 

Edited by DawgsPBS