State Dual predictions (not about Cole Dyer)

Mitch24

On 1/27/2023 at 11:23 PM, Mitch24 said:

Excited as always to hear some more Cowcatcher predictions! Should be another competitive State duals with a few new faces

Thanks, Mitch24! I was surprised my prediction of Soddy over Pigeon Forge ended up only being a point off. That was a first LOL but I am glad to hear someone appreciates the fun I have giving my predictions. My son and I thoroughly enjoyed attending the match on Friday night. Incredible wrestling on both sides and the fans were really into it! 

I plan on posting my round by round predictions once the brackets are posted. I will say that my early thoughts are after seeing Soddy Daisy getting Dyer eligible and Signal Mountain picking up a solid transfer from Notre Dame in the Elliott kid at 145, they have likely separated themselves a little more from the pack. Not having Pigeon Forge or Greeneville in the field this year must be a first. I suspect Page and Halls have the next best chance to walk away champions after Signal and Soddy. It will be fun!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cowcatcher said:

Thanks, Mitch24! I was surprised my prediction of Soddy over Pigeon Forge ended up only being a point off. That was a first LOL but I am glad to hear someone appreciates the fun I have giving my predictions. My son and I thoroughly enjoyed attending the match on Friday night. Incredible wrestling on both sides and the fans were really into it! 

I plan on posting my round by round predictions once the brackets are posted. I will say that my early thoughts are after seeing Soddy Daisy getting Dyer eligible and Signal Mountain picking up a solid transfer from Notre Dame in the Elliott kid at 145, they have likely separated themselves a little more from the pack. Not having Pigeon Forge or Greeneville in the field this year must be a first. I suspect Page and Halls have the next best chance to walk away champions after Signal and Soddy. It will be fun!

you did great with your prediction, Soddy kids have to learn to win the close ones, they lost 2 of the 3 close ones with Turner losing in OT and Welch getting upset 4-3 by Monnin. They won't be able to do that to Halls, Page, Gibbs or really any of those at the State Duals. Hopefully Soddy can move some kids around to make the lineup even deeper. Against Signal its moving Micah into 113 again Jojo if Jojo stays there as we gave up a pin by Flavin last time and moving Flavin up, but who knows whats going to happen and it comes down alot to who has to roll who out first. This is going to be a lot of fun and I'm just glad Soddy is relevant at this time of year and looking forward to that 7th grade class moving up to the high school in a few years after looking at the middle school results from Friday. 

1 hour ago, cowcatcher said:

Not having Pigeon Forge or Greeneville in the field this year must be a first.

I think Greeneville is in a spot of trouble for several years to come.  They lost Kodiak last year and lose Hunter, Colin, Castillo, and Morgan this year.  Outside of Chrisman at 220 and Carson Dupill at probably 126 next year I can't think of anybody within their program, including middle school,  even remotely close to replacing even a fraction of what Hunter, Colin, and Kodiak provided.  They've had four (Hunter, Kodiak, Dupills) supremely talented hard working automatics for years but three of those automatics are gone leaving only Carson.  Their 106 and 113 are solid but it is going to be interesting times for the Greeneville program.  

Edited by oceansize42

14 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

I think Greeneville is in a spot of trouble for several years to come.  They lost Kodiak last year and lose Hunter, Colin, Castillo, and Morgan this year.  Outside of Chrisman at 220 and Carson Dupill at probably 126 next year I can't think of anybody within their program, including middle school,  even remotely close to replacing even a fraction of what Hunter, Colin, and Kodiak provided.  They've had four (Hunter, Kodiak, Dupills) supremely talented hard working automatics for years but three of those automatics are gone leaving only Carson.  Their 106 and 113 are solid but it is going to be interesting times for the Greeneville program.  

I was thinking the same thing, not sure how you can have the studs they have had through the past few years and still not have a much deeper team and some backups. I don't know a ton about them, but do they not have a big youth program or what is the issue? Is it with them spending so much traveling all over the country for the studs they do and have had not allowed them to put money into other parts of the program to strengthen it? I understand not having the generational talent of those already mentioned, but its almost like they will fall off a cliff.

1 hour ago, cobrakid8 said:

I was thinking the same thing, not sure how you can have the studs they have had through the past few years and still not have a much deeper team and some backups. I don't know a ton about them, but do they not have a big youth program or what is the issue? Is it with them spending so much traveling all over the country for the studs they do and have had not allowed them to put money into other parts of the program to strengthen it? I understand not having the generational talent of those already mentioned, but its almost like they will fall off a cliff.

It is in the history.  Kodiak, Hunter, and the Dupills aren't from Greeneville.  Kodiak and Hunter moved to Greeneville in middle school from other states and they were already excellent.  Funny side story, Kodiak's first middle school match was against my son.  Coach comes over and says hey this new kid moved here (from Colorado I think) and looks to be pretty good, can you send so and so out for an exhibition.  Well so and so wasn't there and my son was next best (I guess) on hand.  Let the beating begin for my kid. lol.   Anyways the Dupills arrived from out-of-state last year.  Now around this same time (prior to Dupills) Joe Kemmerer has shown up and now you've got Hunter, Kodiak, Ivy, Watkins (DB), and the Fisher brothers (Jefferson County) all in the mix in Morristown and later Kingsport.  Popping in and out with Kemmerer is Braxton Mann, Dalon, other PF kids here and there, Hurst, Morrisette's and others I'm sure I'm forgetting about. 

But, you want the long story short? in my mind Greeneville allowed those guys to flourish by permitting and supporting travel and not making a fuss about all the outside work but to say that Greeneville proper is "most" responsible for their development is a stretch.  I always see Kemmerer as the spearhead right behind the dedicated parents.  Just an absolutely fantastic clinician.  Lakeway took Ivy, Roller, and Dalon to the next level with TNWA and Zeke.    Let's not forget to that Nahshon Garrett then shows up who was such a good practice partner for Hunter and Kodiak.  Probably Dupill some as well.  Nashon wasn't the clinician Joe was but right around their weight when not cutting I suppose.  Good dude.  My son didn't get the memo that practice was early one day.  Everyone had left and he spent an hour wrestling my son.  I'm grateful for the stuff like that.  Grateful for those Greeneville kids beating up my kid as well, helped him tremendously. Anyways...

I'm not dissing the Greeneville coaches, they had a special time with great kids.  We will see if that ever happens again.  

Now the only option for outside training is E3 (Kingsport) and TNWA (Morristown, Kingsport) which are both quite a haul from Greeneville.  We will see to if any of the next generation of Greeneville wrestlers and parents elect to spend that outside time at those clubs like Hunter and Kodiak did.  

Edited by oceansize42
  • Like 1