State Dual predictions (not about Cole Dyer)

Mitch24

2 hours ago, 3rdperiod said:

Not calling the kid names.  It was a cowardly act, if you are not hurt.  I was sitting right behind the bench and he was clearly fine.  The fact that he wrestled the next match against Bradley (and won) proves it.  Its a bad rule.  If you have to injury default you should have to sit out the next match IMO.  Either way it came and bit him and Central later on.  Poetic Justice BAby!

Let’s not blame the kid!  It’s the coaches and medical personnel’s decision as to whether a kid may continue to wrestle.  I have watched numerous wrestling coaches over the past years have the official start and then immediately stop the match so that the opponent does not take a loss if they are uncertain as to how injured the kid may be.  I don’t know of any really successful coach that wants to win by virtue of a medical disqualification. 

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

Texas, good to see you active again these days.How things change, when I started wrestling in Illinois in 1965 in the 6th grade you could apply pressure on a wing, drive a man’s head into the mat as long as your knee touched first, no headgears and riding time in HS. 
Today’s concussion protocols, safety rules that highly limit certain moves and a litigant society removes a lot of the discussion. I’m with you …. Cowardly? Having over a dozen concussions myself, I wished I had shown more thoughtfulness or as some call it…cowardlyness.

Hey, thanks for the shout out.  I was just kind of standing in the shadows and reading the posts.   The rules have changed and it is taken out of the wrestlers choice for continuing or not.  Cowardly, is a funny way to describe a high school wrestler that has already put themselves out there for the competition.   That is why I was laughing out loud when I read it!  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, dontstopbelieving said:

Following an illegal move the wrestler gets 2 minutes of recovery time, and if a head neck or cervical injury is suspected the wrestler gets 5 minutes for a medical professional to look at them.

Still not enough time to be certain that the KID is ok.  

I've been on both sides of this and I can tell you only one thing.  If you don't want to get DQd, don't hit illegal moves.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mat73557 said:

I've been on both sides of this and I can tell you only one thing.  If you don't want to get DQd, don't hit illegal moves.  

This.

Don't attack a teenager because his coaches decided he wasn't okay to continue at that moment in time. Also, teach your kids not to do illegal slams and we wouldn't even have to worry about it.

2 hours ago, mat73557 said:

When speaking of illegal moves, over the years  I have watched very good high school wrestlers that would lift and return their opponents to the mat.  Often times if the opponent is not very skilled they will fall in an awkward way that make the maneuver illegal where with a good wrestler the maneuver would be perfectly legal because they know how to fall.  I did not see the match that everyone is discussing so I will not comment about it.

15 hours ago, TotallynotLEO said:

Yeah,  that 120 match was a tough break.  Cook for Halls was scrappy and kept going big all match but was losing decisively right up until the last second. 

I know it's tough to lose like that.  If it's any consolation SD is def the favorite next year.  They're so young and deep. They are going to make multiple runs at a state title going forward. Especially with the reclassification next year.  

It was a horrible outcome, Cook only scored 2 points on penalties, it shows to a lack of situational awareness and that’s coming from a junior. All you have to do is not get pinned, however that 120lb just has to wrestle out of control so much and funky and that usually only works for kids Uber talented like an Askren, the rest get stuck on occasion trying to wrestle over their heads. Winning 7-0 at start of third and the way he wrestles I would have cut him and just took him down over and over until the match was over. On top of that just don’t get pinned when there is 15 seconds left and even giving up the reversal and all the back points you still come out with the win. To me if it comes down to something like that again I’m moving kids around and not putting him on the mat, he got beat 2 other times by an unranked kid from Fairview and neither were close.

as far as next year, not really sure about that, they wasted Dyer as far as for a state dual title and Whalen isn’t to bad, plus never know who transfers out or whatever else might help. We have seen this happen before where a team is poised to win it all and it not happen. They might next year but I think they have a better chance in 2 years which kind of sucks because well none of us are promised tomorrow so you have to take advantage of today and sadly they did not. 

1 hour ago, cobrakid8 said:

Lol, I had to make sure you weren’t going to get the big head lol

Haha I literally flipped a coin on them. Halls was my initial pick, should've stuck with it. I didnt post it but i also picked Boyd to beat Lakeway. Did not pick Cleveland girls though. Took Rossview.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bump11 said:

Haha I literally flipped a coin on them. Halls was my initial pick, should've stuck with it. I didnt post it but i also picked Boyd to beat Lakeway. Did not pick Cleveland girls though. Took Rossview.

You had it right in D23A. What is your traditional champion prediction?

Edited by PurplePanther

48 minutes ago, PurplePanther said:

You had it right in D23A. What is your traditional champion prediction?

I did. I got both D2 classes right, and those were my 2 boldest picks! I picked the favorites everywhere else. 

As long as Ryan is healthy i think they make it a sweep. They’re too good top to bottom. I think they get 11 on the podium, including anywhere from 5-7 champs. As long as they are on their game, just like at duals, i still don’t see anyone beating them. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bump11 said:

I did. I got both D2 classes right, and those were my 2 boldest picks! I picked the favorites everywhere else. 

As long as Ryan is healthy i think they make it a sweep. They’re too good top to bottom. I think they get 11 on the podium, including anywhere from 5-7 champs. As long as they are on their game, just like at duals, i still don’t see anyone beating them. 

Edit: I didn’t know for sure but someone said Tim Burnett should be back to 100% by state, so give me 12 on the podium for Ryan. 

5 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

It was a horrible outcome, Cook only scored 2 points on penalties, it shows to a lack of situational awareness and that’s coming from a junior. All you have to do is not get pinned, however that 120lb just has to wrestle out of control so much and funky and that usually only works for kids Uber talented like an Askren, the rest get stuck on occasion trying to wrestle over their heads. Winning 7-0 at start of third and the way he wrestles I would have cut him and just took him down over and over until the match was over. On top of that just don’t get pinned when there is 15 seconds left and even giving up the reversal and all the back points you still come out with the win. To me if it comes down to something like that again I’m moving kids around and not putting him on the mat, he got beat 2 other times by an unranked kid from Fairview and neither were close.

as far as next year, not really sure about that, they wasted Dyer as far as for a state dual title and Whalen isn’t to bad, plus never know who transfers out or whatever else might help. We have seen this happen before where a team is poised to win it all and it not happen. They might next year but I think they have a better chance in 2 years which kind of sucks because well none of us are promised tomorrow so you have to take advantage of today and sadly they did not. 

Yeah,  it was a tough one to watch for SD. But, you guys are young and have a lot of experience returning.  They may be Sophomore and Juniors but they have a much experience as any seniors out there.  You never know where kids weight will wind up at in another year.  One of ours went from a small 138 to 182 in one year and 220 the next.  He may be heavyweight next year,  who knows.  

SD was fun to watch and looked technically sound.  It's not just that they have 2 or 3 really good kids surrounded by a few decent kids... they're pretty solid almost everywhere which makes line ups tough for opposing teams. I'm sure your coaches will use this as motivation in the off season and SD will show up BIG next year.  Y'all went from average to competing for a dual title in 1 or 2 years with no sign of slowing down. 

Page and Halls are going to AA next year.  SM loses a lot, so does Greeneville.  PF loses 3 hammers but will likely reload.  Gibbs loses some really good ones but I'm not sure what they have coming up.  AC might be decent next year,  going to small school,  but things have to fall in place. Bottom line,  SD is in good position.