State Dual predictions (not about Cole Dyer)

Mitch24

1 minute ago, cbg said:

All true!  I have said it before and will continue to say that the good kids today are better than the good kids 30+ years ago.  Now the question becomes would the good kids 30+ years ago been much better if they had been provided with the strength training programs, nutrition and video techniques that kids today have and I say yes.  The problem today is that the average and bad kids are horrible and do not wrestle under control.  They see the good kids scrambling and they try it in a match and get pinned.  Why not drill the technique 1000+ times in practice before matches.

Mainly because the average and bad kids don’t want to put in the time and effort it takes to be “good”. The good kids are attending camps, doing privates, lifting, etc. Most kids don’t want to do that. 

1 hour ago, LocalHero said:

Mainly because the average and bad kids don’t want to put in the time and effort it takes to be “good”. The good kids are attending camps, doing privates, lifting, etc. Most kids don’t want to do that. 

Sadly we didn't really have that back 20-30 years ago, although our top kids would still be top today there just weren't as many. Of course I don't think we had as many bad kids either, but we didn't have the resources we do now and didn't come close to traveling like we do now. Back when we had Matt Keller, Kevin Ward, Rusty Blackmon, Simpson, Leen those guys would still be tops now(2 national finalist and 1 NCAA champ there which we haven't had since), of course you also had a meat grinder of only 1 division for some of that and 2 divisions instead of the 3 now. I was average at best as a wrestler, I would have finished 3rd my senior year if we had 3 divisions lol. Kids(top wrestlers) now days are more athletic and stronger, I just don't think they are as strategic as they were 20-30 years ago and that's with years of coaching both.

2 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

Sadly we didn't really have that back 20-30 years ago, although our top kids would still be top today there just weren't as many. Of course I don't think we had as many bad kids either, but we didn't have the resources we do now and didn't come close to traveling like we do now. Back when we had Matt Keller, Kevin Ward, Rusty Blackmon, Simpson, Leen those guys would still be tops now(2 national finalist and 1 NCAA champ there which we haven't had since), of course you also had a meat grinder of only 1 division for some of that and 2 divisions instead of the 3 now. I was average at best as a wrestler, I would have finished 3rd my senior year if we had 3 divisions lol. Kids(top wrestlers) now days are more athletic and stronger, I just don't think they are as strategic as they were 20-30 years ago and that's with years of coaching both.

I just thinks it’s a lot different now. More evolved. More technically sound wrestlers. Like you said, more opportunities. As technology grew, so did peoples access to learning. I wrestled in 90s and almost nobody did private lessons and 1 camp per summer. Now these kids are doing 6-8. heck I sent my two to Estonia last year and they’re going to Hungary this summer. Kids have it good these days when it comes to opportunities 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LocalHero said:

I just thinks it’s a lot different now. More evolved. More technically sound wrestlers. Like you said, more opportunities. As technology grew, so did peoples access to learning. I wrestled in 90s and almost nobody did private lessons and 1 camp per summer. Now these kids are doing 6-8. heck I sent my two to Estonia last year and they’re going to Hungary this summer. Kids have it good these days when it comes to opportunities 

yes they do, we did the one camp per summer, I actually wrestled greco and freestyle at McCallie for 1 summer because there just wasn't many "teams" doing freestyle and greco. Plus there seems to be more single sport focus now compared to the 90's and early 2000. We had a pretty dang good team in the late 90's but more than half of us also played football and some played baseball also. Now wrestling helps football players and I think that has somewhat been proven, but not sure football makes better wrestlers. We also spent a little bit of time watching VHS (yes that old LOL) while now track has all kinds of matches on it you can watch and a phone is right at your fingertips if you have someone that can take matches with upcoming possible opponents.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LocalHero said:

You are 100% correct!  We are living in a microwave society where everyone wants instant gratification.