D2 way too early predictions

theawesomebro

i know it's super early but as the head coach openings get filled, im curious to see what you guys think about this coming season.  who's the favorite?  who's the dark horse?  

A - I think it's friendship christian or nashville christian until someone proves otherwise.  MTCS might be the dark horse?  don't follow single A as closely.  

AA - I think CPA returns to the top of the heap.  they wont stay down long as long as martin is there.  FRA might be the dark horse but going through CPA seems tough.  does boyd start making noise with rankin at the helm?  maybe webb but they have a new coach.

AAA - I think baylor or mccallie are the favorites since MBA lost so many players and LA and BA have new coaches.  one of those 3 could surprise.  

I dont know as much about knoxville or memphis teams but are any of them in the running?  

As long as boarding schools are allowed to bring in kids that have already established an athletic record and the TSSAA grants them immediate eligibility it's likely that the trend of boarding schools winning state championships will continue.  Nothing at all against the boarding schools as they are playing by the rules but it's near impossible to compete with them under the current rules that are in place.

The far and away favorite for A will be NCS as long as that quarterback is there. Outside of them, I think it's more wide open than ever before. DCA and Friendship lost talented players to transfer, USJ moves up to AA. 

West will be decided when JCS and Trinity play in October

NCS obliterates everyone in middle

MTCS wins East this year. 

AA-CPA and FRA...Lausanne as dark horse

AAA-Usual Suspects

On 1/30/2023 at 8:12 AM, TNbuck84 said:

The far and away favorite for A will be NCS as long as that quarterback is there. Outside of them, I think it's more wide open than ever before. DCA and Friendship lost talented players to transfer, USJ moves up to AA. 

West will be decided when JCS and Trinity play in October

NCS obliterates everyone in middle

MTCS wins East this year. 

AA-CPA and FRA...Lausanne as dark horse

AAA-Usual Suspects

Didn’t NCS lose 14 players of which seven were three year starters including all state skill players and linemen? I agree the QB at NCS is special and they are the favorite. MTCS returns some good players and will be a favorite in the east. FCS lost approximately 14 players too including most of their offensive skill players and line so they will likely take a step back. They do return an excellent RB and some good linemen though. I’m most familiar with DCA and they lost some great four year starters but return 7/8 skill players and a some linemen. They also have three former players that may be returning and all would be huge additions. With all the very talented freshman and sophomore starters they had it will be fun to see them next season.

Even with all the players graduating/leaving it looks like MTCS, NCS, DCA,  JCS, and Trinity from the west. That’s not to say teams like Columbia Academy who returns a ton of players (graduated 4 players I think) and a very talented RB as well as FCS won’t be in the hunt because they have talented players returning. 

This division can easily change with transfers coming into a program and excellent young players growing into newer roles. While NCS has one of the best players in the state for sure it will be interesting to see what happens in 23. 

Edited by Playerscoach

In D-2AAA, Baylor looks like the favorite to repeat...they bring back an elite QB, and two elite WRs.  McCallie returns St, Helare at QB, graduate a bunch of good players, but always seem to reload every year even when they have big losses to graduation.  LA returns (at least) two elite players on defense and will be hard for anyone to score on, whoever is coaching.  BA returns McIntyre and a loaded O line.  MBA will be in real transition next year, replacing a 4-year starter at QB...best hope is a year like '19, where the team improves along the way and is in form for the playoffs.

in the West, FRHS returns a really good starting QB; Ensworth looks like they are replacing almost everyone on offense this year; Curtis and Utley are two high level P5 recruits on defense.  No real idea about CBHS, MUS, or Briarcrest.

All in all, pretty loaded year in D2-AAA with LA joining...the East is murderers row and I'm glad for once everyone makes the playoffs.

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

we learn anything new in the spring for D2?  I think when LA gets to district play, they will be battle tested.  hopefully, they get better through the season like last year.  I dont think they come out of the game super hot though.

LA has more “talent” than any school in Tennessee and quite frankly it’s not close.  The key is qb play and deviating from Dilfer’s system of 22 starters.  If and a big if, kilburg is the real deal and if CJ, Kaleb and Edwin get legitimate snaps on offense, they could/should win state. Tons of great teams in d3 but none better than lipscomb….at least on paper.

3 hours ago, Flea21 said:

LA has more “talent” than any school in Tennessee and quite frankly it’s not close.  The key is qb play and deviating from Dilfer’s system of 22 starters.  If and a big if, kilburg is the real deal and if CJ, Kaleb and Edwin get legitimate snaps on offense, they could/should win state. Tons of great teams in d3 but none better than lipscomb….at least on paper.

did you watch the scrimmage?  I got busy and got there right as it was ending but saw some clips.  to your point, I looked on 247 tn hs player rankings for the class of 2025 and 6 of the top 18 are at LA.  that's crazy.  

when you say 22 starters, you mean he didn't rotate in enough other players or players playing offense and defense?  I had not heard about those guys playing offense this year.

On 5/13/2023 at 9:04 PM, theawesomebro said:

did you watch the scrimmage?  I got busy and got there right as it was ending but saw some clips.  to your point, I looked on 247 tn hs player rankings for the class of 2025 and 6 of the top 18 are at LA.  that's crazy.  

when you say 22 starters, you mean he didn't rotate in enough other players or players playing offense and defense?  I had not heard about those guys playing offense this year.

Sorry about that…probably didn’t word it right…I think Trent rotated enough…just not a fan of only one side of the ball in high school.  The games have few enough plays that a full time wr or db can play half the snaps on the other side.  Trent didn’t have to last year as they were loaded at the skill positions and the schedule was fairly week other than the first two non conference games.  This year is different and I think there are a few players on d that I hope to see with the ball in their hands…..specifically Kaleb.  Imagine how bored he gets in practice doing the same stuff every day.  I think he knows the cb position well enough and wouldn’t miss a beat if he cross trained at wr…same for CJ and maybe Edwin at fb/rb….just my 2 cents

10 hours ago, Flea21 said:

Sorry about that…probably didn’t word it right…I think Trent rotated enough…just not a fan of only one side of the ball in high school.  The games have few enough plays that a full time wr or db can play half the snaps on the other side.  Trent didn’t have to last year as they were loaded at the skill positions and the schedule was fairly week other than the first two non conference games.  This year is different and I think there are a few players on d that I hope to see with the ball in their hands…..specifically Kaleb.  Imagine how bored he gets in practice doing the same stuff every day.  I think he knows the cb position well enough and wouldn’t miss a beat if he cross trained at wr…same for CJ and maybe Edwin at fb/rb….just my 2 cents

gotcha.  that would DEFINITELY be entertaining!  

• 2 months later...