Erik Davis resigns from Maplewood

fredjones

With the way that MLK co-ops with Pearl-Cohn and now Hume-Fogg co-ops with East Nashville it makes you realize that more of the schools need to do this with football.  Glencliff, Antioch, Maplewood, Stratford, Whites Creek, and Hunters Lane should all look at this moving forward.  It's sad because I can remember when all of those schools were strong at points on the football field.  

Pearl-Cohn, East Nashville, Cane Ridge, Hillsboro, Lawson, Overton, and McGavock should all be the Metro-Nashville Football Playing Programs.  They should all co-op with the non-football playing schools and should compete at the 5A/6A level with those numbers counting against their enrollments.  

34 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

With the way that MLK co-ops with Pearl-Cohn and now Hume-Fogg co-ops with East Nashville it makes you realize that more of the schools need to do this with football.  Glencliff, Antioch, Maplewood, Stratford, Whites Creek, and Hunters Lane should all look at this moving forward.  It's sad because I can remember when all of those schools were strong at points on the football field.  

Pearl-Cohn, East Nashville, Cane Ridge, Hillsboro, Lawson, Overton, and McGavock should all be the Metro-Nashville Football Playing Programs.  They should all co-op with the non-football playing schools and should compete at the 5A/6A level with those numbers counting against their enrollments.  

I assume you know that a school can only co-op with one other school.

You listed 7 schools playing football but that leaves Glencliff, Antioch, Maplewood, Stratford, Whites Creek, Hunters Lane, MLK, Hume Fogg, School of the Arts, Middle College, Lead Academy, Valor Collegiate, and I am sure a couple others with needing a co-op school. Sounds good in theory, but the numbers don't work that way.

47 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

I assume you know that a school can only co-op with one other school.

You listed 7 schools playing football but that leaves Glencliff, Antioch, Maplewood, Stratford, Whites Creek, Hunters Lane, MLK, Hume Fogg, School of the Arts, Middle College, Lead Academy, Valor Collegiate, and I am sure a couple others with needing a co-op school. Sounds good in theory, but the numbers don't work that way.

I believe Valor plays with Overton. I am not sure who Lead Academy plays with, Middle College or NSA.  NSA used to play with Hillsboro.  MLK used to play with Hillsboro before opting to partner with PC in 2008 (losing out on a State Championship). Looking forward to see how this season plays out with the new partnerships.   

1 hour ago, 18NCS said:

I believe Valor plays with Overton. I am not sure who Lead Academy plays with, Middle College or NSA.  NSA used to play with Hillsboro.  MLK used to play with Hillsboro before opting to partner with PC in 2008 (losing out on a State Championship). Looking forward to see how this season plays out with the new partnerships.   

Lead had a co-op with East Nashville for the last 12 years. They only played basketball and some individual sports as Lead Academy. They will now have to find someone new. Valor used to play with Glencliff but changed their co- op beginning with 21-22 to Overton.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:26 PM, howdoitknow said:

Cooperative arrangements between schools can certainly help to improve athletic programs, including football. Such arrangements can lead to increased resources and a larger pool of athletes to draw from, which can help to bolster the competitiveness of the program.

However, cooperative arrangements can also raise questions around school identity, tradition, and fairness. For example, some may argue that cooperative arrangements create an uneven playing field, giving certain schools an unfair advantage over others.

Edited by jaxx

1 hour ago, 2minutedrill said:

Metro football is dead.

Metro football is different than what it was in the past, but it is not dead.  CR had a good season last year with some D1 talent.  PC won a bunch of games and EN appeared in the State Title game two years in a row. I think it 2020 was when Metro decided to not have middle school football. The HS teams played a shortened season with little practice time. Was told that many kids/parents left metro at that time to go to private schools.  

Its funny how people continue to say Metro is dead and thats its only a few good teams etc. Metro continues to have more representives in the state title games than any other district . Metro does more with less. Of course everyone isnt good but if we are being honest neither is everyone in other districts neither. Its more kids and more schools so of course the talent is not spread out equally. Demographics play a big role in that . Antioch, Glencliff, OVerton are loaded with students who think football mean soccer. HL , WC, have 3 charter schools with in 10 miles from them. Hillwood loses its kids to private schools and too far from their zone side of town of north nashville. Open zoned crushed the abilty for all schools to compete. Times have changed its not the same but lets not act like these county schools are all HR hitters. Imagine if Metro top schools had resources and a district that cared the projectory of the the district would change. In RUCO Oakland is the only team thats just dominant, Ravenwood / Brentwood for WIlliamson, No one from Wilson, and Beech for Sumner so looks to me metro has way more competing for championships than any other county. Look at the success that some of those outside counties have been having , they are led by metro kids nobody speaks on that of course. You give me CR PC EN HB MC vs any county I bet Metro comes out at least .500

• Like 2