What's the difference between TMSAA & JCH State Tournaments?

EveryoneHatesCoffee

James C Haile is the oldest middle school tournament in the state. I’m not sure on all the details. It seems to be mostly middle Tn schools but I know that Wayne Co (boys/girls), Decatur Co boys and South Side(Lexington area) girls, Beaver School(boys) and Huntingdon(boys) from the west were in it. There were 3 classes. Decatur Co boys had a really good team but fell in the finals in AAA. Huntingdon boys won in a close one in the semi over Columbia Academy and blew everyone else out to win AA.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, EveryoneHatesCoffee said:

I had to research this because I was surprised to learn that Westwood Middle School of Manchester with a 22-1 record would not be included in an "official" state tournament sponsored by the TMSAA like Coffee County Middle School, and the answer is that the James C Haile Tournament only brings in teams that are not members of the TMSAA. Schools have to meet certain criteria and pay dues to be TMSAA members, and it doesn't look like Westwood or any of the schools invited to the JCH State Tournament like Collinwood, Watertown, or Walter J. Baird of Lebanon did that.

Yes that is correct.  You have to join the TMSSAA in order to compete in the TMSSAA tournament.  Putnam county schools didn't join initially but they did join last year.  There are alot of rules and regulations (T$$AA imagine that) that have to be followed/monitored so if you don't have the staff to do so then it is more of a hassle.   I am sure there are dues as well.  We all know how they like to grab as much money as possible.     

JCH is a great tournament with really good teams.   They also have younger divisions which are not included in TMSSAA tournaments.  Its a great tourney. If you haven't been before you should go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haile is supposed to be for not TSSAA teams, and TMSSAA is for TSSAA teams.  Haile is kinda a joke recently because of all of the mismatches and blowouts.   Plus Haile winners talk about how they are state champions when they beat 3 teams from within 30 miles of them, lol.  Some teams choose to stay non TSSAA just so they don't have to compete on an even playing ground, and can still have a shot at calling themselves state champions.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/1/2023 at 11:53 AM, EveryoneHatesCoffee said:

I had to research this because I was surprised to learn that Westwood Middle School of Manchester with a 22-1 record would not be included in an "official" state tournament sponsored by the TMSAA like Coffee County Middle School, and the answer is that the James C Haile Tournament only brings in teams that are not members of the TMSAA. Schools have to meet certain criteria and pay dues to be TMSAA members, and it doesn't look like Westwood or any of the schools invited to the JCH State Tournament like Collinwood, Watertown, or Walter J. Baird of Lebanon did that.

Some of the teams you mentioned never will, they like pretending to be champs with weaker opponents.

• Sad 1

On 2/1/2023 at 10:06 AM, LadyCavsFan said:

James C Haile is an “invitational” tournament.  You ask them and they invite you.  The TMSSAA tournament is structured like the HS state tournament .  District/Region/Section.   I believe there are two classifications.  Small and large schools.  

They actually have three classifications now in TMSAA which is A, AA, and AAA but yes the rest regarding the structure and set up is the same. Only the champion of each section (there are 4 sections in the state) go to the state tournament (4 total teams in each classification)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EveryoneHatesCoffee said:

Thanks for the heads up. You seem to think that middle schools have hundreds of thousands of dollars to throw around for travel.  Well, they don't unless they are located in the counties with Knoxville, Chattanooga, Murfreesboro, Nashville, and Memphis. Most city schools in rural areas can't afford what the TSSAA affiliate requires with all of its requirements.

Ha, yes, those bustling metropolises like Carthage, Sparta, Lafayette lol. 

3 hours ago, EveryoneHatesCoffee said:

Thanks for the heads up. You seem to think that middle schools have hundreds of thousands of dollars to throw around for travel.  Well, they don't unless they are located in the counties with Knoxville, Chattanooga, Murfreesboro, Nashville, and Memphis. Most city schools in rural areas can't afford what the TSSAA affiliate requires with all of its requirements.

There are many small rural middle schools in Northwest Tennessee in it. Martin, Three Oaks (Dyersburg), Inman (Paris…Henry co feeder), South Fulton, the Obion county feeder schools…..it’s really not that expensive with a lot of requirements