Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett Indians

DBGRAD70

28 minutes ago, TribalEmpire said:

I can respect this take.  Unlike some of the stuff I have seen on Twitter.

I'd say the folks from Blount were devastated.  This is the second year in a row you guys feel like you got the shaft.  Last year for sure, as there wasn't anything in that video with Farragut last year that I saw that warranted an ejection from either team really.

On the other foot, this is the second year we've "benefitted" from the substate round.  I use that term in quotes, because of the video I saw last night, it looked like a foul.  Last year we certainly got a benefit of having to play a depleted Farragut team in the substate.  Who knows if the Admirals have a full roster for that one if we're even sitting here talking about being a defending state champ trying to defend its crown.

37 minutes ago, GovMan said:

From a life-time William Blount fan, was impressed with the whole environment at DB for last night's game.  Nice facility, good P.A. man, quality opponent.  The Oliver kid played one of the best halves of basketball I've ever witnessed in the second half.  Congrats to DB for getting to go to state but ...it was a bitter pill to swallow for us Governors.  Referees are human and calls are missed every game for both sides.  But the final foul call that allowed DB to win was completely wrong.  There was no foul is the primary thing.  The referee that made the call was not in the right position to make it.  The player he called it against was no where close to touching Oliver.  IF -- and there wasn't, a foul to call, there should have been 1.9 seconds left on the clock.  But it was a no call ... if it had happened the exact opposite and benefitted WB ... after watching the video I would totally agree.  DB was fortunate to benefit from a human error ... and it happens.  But it takes a while to recover when you are on the other side.  Good luck to DB at state!

To be honest, heading into the tournament's I was thinking William Blount was going to win it all this year. They seemed to have to most complete team. I suppose the human element of the refs will always be a factor. Sometimes you get by with things that help you win and sometimes you're charged with things that cost you a win. Too bad both teams can't advance. They seem to be pretty evenly matched. At least last night they were. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

To be honest, heading into the tournament's I was thinking William Blount was going to win it all this year. They seemed to have to most complete team. I suppose the human element of the refs will always be a factor. Sometimes you get by with things that help you win and sometimes you're charged with things that cost you a win. Too bad both teams can't advance. They seem to be pretty evenly matched. At least last night they were. 

100% WaCojaCo.  WB also benefitted from calls in the game ... it's just that last one you always notice if you're the one it works against.  

14 minutes ago, GovMan said:

100% WaCojaCo.  WB also benefitted from calls in the game ... it's just that last one you always notice if you're the one it works against.  

Honestly the refs were not great all night long. There were a ton of either missed calls or absolute BS calls and the one ref really thought we were there to watch him do his little dances when he called fouls. But about the last 10 seconds I thought the foul called on us to give WB the free throw line to go up with 7 secs was weak and the one on Oliver at the end was weak, but it was consistent and I’d rather it be weak and consistent than one sided. 

Is Oliver getting looked at by anybody? Kid can bomb from anywhere! Also, I think a player on DB that kinda goes unnoticed is the Stump kid (PG). He’s a fantastic ball handler and great penetrator, which leaves guys like Oliver with wide open looks beyond the perimeter a lot of times. Really good player. I hate it for WB, but they did blow an 18 point lead, so with all of that said, they still had plenty of opportunities to put that game away, but never could. Easier said than done with an opponent like DB @ their place nonetheless, but still true. Got to give DB a lot of credit for coming back like that.

Edited by SweetScience

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

Is Oliver getting looked at by anybody? Kid can bomb from anywhere! Also, I think a player on DB that kinda goes unnoticed is the Stump kid (PG). He’s a fantastic ball handler and great penetrator, which leaves guys like Oliver with wide open looks beyond the perimeter a lot of times. Really good player. I hate it for WB, but they did blow an 18 point lead, so with all of that said, they still had plenty of opportunities to put that game away, but never could. Easier said than done with an opponent like DB @ their place nonetheless, but still true. Got to give DB a lot of credit for coming back like that.

Oliver is committed to play ball at ETSU for his dad the head coach there

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

I think most of the credit for the comeback goes to the head coach. He made the necessary adjustments and gets his players in the right frame of mind. I think Oliver had 2 points at halftime. Poore took Oliver to the side and explained to him what he was doing wrong during the break. Oliver went on to put up 29 points in the second half. Poore is a great coach. We got very lucky with that hire. 

1 minute ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I think most of the credit for the comeback goes to the head coach. He made the necessary adjustments and gets his players in the right frame of mind. I think Oliver had 2 points at halftime. Poore took Oliver to the side and explained to him what he was doing wrong during the break. Oliver went on to put up 29 points in the second half. Poore is a great coach. We got very lucky with that hire. 

Very well coached team. I agree.

57 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Couldn't agree more about Poore.  I've known him my entire life and my older brother was the starting PG on the Greeneville team that went to state Poore's Senior year.  You won't find anyone who eats, breaths, and sleep's basketball like him and his entire family.  Glad the Greeneville boy is making a name for himself at DB

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

Couldn't agree more about Poore.  I've known him my entire life and my older brother was the starting PG on the Greeneville team that went to state Poore's Senior year.  You won't find anyone who eats, breaths, and sleep's basketball like him and his entire family.  Glad the Greeneville boy is making a name for himself at DB

His nephew and niece I think  plays at South Greene and his sister's husband coaches at South Greene Middle. 

14 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Last year at state the whole retired coaches section was talking about how Stump is a great player. 

In all my years they don't get surprised very easily. 

They thought it was Bearden's to lose. DB proved them wrong. 

• Thanks 1