2A Region 5 2023

Trollin

New Region, New Year, 8 Teams. Who are the top teams in this Region for 2023? Waverly drops back to 2A after 2 impressive years in 3A. Mt Pleasant and Lewis Co appeared to be the best teams last year. How does this Region look for 2023? Who is on the up and who is on the down?

East Hickman

Harpeth

Hickman 

Lewis

Loretto

Mt Pleasant

Summertown

Waverly 

East Hickman lost their momentum from the last three or so seasons. I don't know what happened, but they were steadily improving, and had gotten to the point of capable of playing with most anyone in the region on a given night. Last season was more like when Waverly was in their region.

Harpeth, I know nothing about.

Hickman has been consistent over the last 10 years or so...not terrible, but not great.

Lewis was on track to be formidable with Rang running the show. Their future depends on the hire, but they have some talent.

Loretto ran hot and cold last year. When they were good, they could score on anyone and the D wasn't bad...when they were bad, they weren't terrible but lost to some very average teams. 

Mt. Pleasant has always had potential, but it came together last year and they were very good. If they can play with discipline and not beat themselves with blown plays and stupid mistakes they should be tough.

Summertown is in limbo. Could be good or could be average...a lot depends on what kind of start they get off to in my opinion. If everything falls in place they could be the surprise of the region, and if not they could struggle.

Waverly is Waverly. odds on favorite to take the region.

Lewis and MTP are the two who stand the best chance of giving the Tigers a game, with Summertown and Loretto being the wildcards. If I'm betting, that's the top four challengers in the region with Wavo the clear favorite. Lewis County needs a good hire and MTP needs to keep their staff in place to make this region competitive with the killer one to the west...otherwise, Waverly will stand the only chance in the near future of advancing in the playoffs.

Edited by tradertwo
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 12:41 PM, tradertwo said:

East Hickman lost their momentum from the last three or so seasons. I don't know what happened, but they were steadily improving, and had gotten to the point of capable of playing with most anyone in the region on a given night. Last season was more like when Waverly was in their region.

Hickman has been consistent over the last 10 years or so...not terrible, but not great.

Lewis was on track to be formidable with Rang running the show. Their future depends on the hire, but they have some talent.

Loretto ran hot and cold last year. When they were good, they could score on anyone and the D wasn't bad...when they were bad, they weren't terrible but lost to some very average teams. 

Mt. Pleasant has always had potential, but it came together last year and they were very good. If they can play with discipline and not beat themselves with blown plays and stupid mistakes they should be tough.

Summertown is in limbo. Could be good or could be average...a lot depends on what kind of start they get off to in my opinion. If everything falls in place they could be the surprise of the region, and if not they could struggle.

Lewis and MTP are the two who stand the best chance of giving the Tigers a game, with Summertown and Loretto being the wildcards. If I'm betting, that's the top four challengers in the region with Wavo the clear favorite. Lewis County needs a good hire and MTP needs to keep their staff in place to make this region competitive with the killer one to the west...otherwise, Waverly will stand the only chance in the near future of advancing in the playoffs.

Thanks for the detailed info. Great post as always trader. Looking forward to an exciting year. No doubt this region will have their hands full with Region 6 in the playoffs. 

On 2/10/2023 at 12:41 PM, tradertwo said:

With Boldin as their coach, Waverly will always be tough. I really don’t know anything about the rest of the region. The playoff situation will be tough! 

Waverly has lost one of the better coaches on their staff recently as he has reunited with an old Lion; the word on the street is that another could follow suit

Waverly will miss the losses of Elliott, Dooley, Calloway, Daniel, McMurry, Fowler, Plant, and Maples

Waverly will enjoy the returns of Griffin, Stanfield, Porch, Flores, and Fortner 

It will be interesting to see how other players grow & develop this off-season and/or if Waverly acquires outside help like they've received from Dickson County (the Dooleys) and Lewis County (McCann) in recent years.  

Good Luck to Waverly and the rest of Region 5 the next two years.  Region 6 definitely looks like a monumental challenge come playoff time.

22 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

Waverly has lost one of the better coaches on their staff recently as he has reunited with an old Lion; the word on the street is that another could follow suit

Waverly will miss the losses of Elliott, Dooley, Calloway, Daniel, McMurry, Fowler, Plant, and Maples

Waverly will enjoy the returns of Griffin, Stanfield, Porch, Flores, and Fortner 

It will be interesting to see how other players grow & develop this off-season and/or if Waverly acquires outside help like they've received from Dickson County (the Dooleys) and Lewis County (McCann) in recent years.  

Good Luck to Waverly and the rest of Region 5 the next two years.  Region 6 definitely looks like a monumental challenge come playoff time.

Waverly lost a good OL coach. More importantly they lost a great person who everyone loved. But Waverly Football will be just fine without him. Looking at Camden, they clearly need all the help they can get. So best of luck to him over there. He will be a great addition. Waverly is looking forward to giving him/them their first of many L’s in 2023. In the first round of the playoffs he can come back over and watch Waverly play since he won’t be busy. 

As far as the rumor, there won’t be any more following suit, the rest of this coaching staff bleeds blue. 

Waverly has a solid core returning, some younger guys ready to step up, and some talented freshmen incoming. Waverly will continue to be a force. 

On 2/13/2023 at 4:23 PM, Trollin said:

Waverly lost a good OL coach. More importantly they lost a great person who everyone loved. But Waverly Football will be just fine without him. Looking at Camden, they clearly need all the help they can get. So best of luck to him over there. He will be a great addition. Waverly is looking forward to giving him/them their first of many L’s in 2023. In the first round of the playoffs he can come back over and watch Waverly play since he won’t be busy. 

As far as the rumor, there won’t be any more following suit, the rest of this coaching staff bleeds blue. 

Waverly has a solid core returning, some younger guys ready to step up, and some talented freshmen incoming. Waverly will continue to be a force. 

i wish we could play waverley cuz I know they a bunch of posers bruh yall are soft and dont want none of this we would smash ur sorry rears go back to 3a with fairview and brag about beating them and losing to east every year 

1 hour ago, urmama57 said:

i wish we could play waverley cuz I know they a bunch of posers bruh yall are soft and dont want none of this we would smash ur sorry rears go back to 3a with fairview and brag about beating them and losing to east every year 

Lol. Come on man. I don’t think SC could have scored on us like we would have against y’all. I definitely think it would have been a good game. 

2 hours ago, urmama57 said:

You’re an idiot. You beat East 1 time out of 3 by 1 point and you think you can come beat your chest about it? Couldn’t even beat them when it counted. You probably are as dumb as you sound. Tell your coach to line up a scrimmage and come on down 

12 hours ago, FastEddieDavis said:

Lol. Come on man. I don’t think SC could have scored on us like we would have against y’all. I definitely think it would have been a good game. 

u got jokes bruh look at our game against fairview and look at yalls game east got all there dudes back when they played us they sat them when they played white house and u guys cuz yall was weak im gonna tell coach dyer to call yalls coach today but he wont answer bruh 

11 hours ago, Trollin said:

You’re an idiot. You beat East 1 time out of 3 by 1 point and you think you can come beat your chest about it? Couldn’t even beat them when it counted. You probably are as dumb as you sound. Tell your coach to line up a scrimmage and come on down 

we beat east and they beat us in the playoffs bruh there jv team beat yall when u played cuz yall was weak 

5 hours ago, urmama57 said:

u got jokes bruh look at our game against fairview and look at yalls game east got all there dudes back when they played us they sat them when they played white house and u guys cuz yall was weak im gonna tell coach dyer to call yalls coach today but he wont answer bruh 

SC was slow! Pretty sure y’all wouldn’t stop us.