Mairvul '23 mostest inneggspearenced teem evur

STARSNBARS

On 5/18/2023 at 3:50 PM, Red Rebels said:

I know of a real good MHS wrestler who is now on the team. Gotta recruit the halls. 

If they're wrestling they've more than likely been playing football to begin with, so it wouldn't be anyone new to either team.

Edited by JSamson7

On 5/18/2023 at 2:50 PM, Red Rebels said:

I know of a real good MHS wrestler who is now on the team. Gotta recruit the halls. 

Very few of the high school football coaches in Tennessee truly understand the benefit of wrestling and how it makes better football players.  The combination of learning hand fighting skills and improving ones foot work along with learning how to fight the one on one battles truly makes football players much better.  If I were a high school football coach I would require all of my players to wrestle that didn’t play basketball.

Edited by cbg

16 hours ago, cbg said:

Very few of the high school football coaches in Tennessee truly understand the benefit of wrestling and how it makes better football players.  The combination of learning hand fighting skills and improving ones foot work along with learning how to fight the one on one battles truly makes football players much better.  If I were a high school football coach I would require all of my players to wrestle that didn’t play basketball.

Unfortunately that will not happen at Maryville.

4 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Unfortunately that will not happen at Maryville.

Like I said most Tennessee high school football coaches are not smart enough or familiar enough with wrestling to understand how wrestling helps develop better football players.  Not only would I require my football players to wrestle that did not play basketball, I would also make them participate in track & field if they were not on the baseball or soccer team.  The goal is to develop the best and most competitive athletes on the field in order to win state championships.

Edited by cbg

Biggest problem we have at Maryville is a progressive type principal I'm scared that might not realize the importance of the football program or any sport matter of a fact. She ran off a winning girls basketball coach who was very popular with the fans over some little Flossi Mae on the basketball team and her dear parents Karen and Ken. She sided with Karen and Ken and now the girls basketball program sucks and the basketball coach was also over the football broadcast which also went to pot last year for most of the season until we wore her out over it and now the radio broadcast combined with the TV footage. She killed two birds with one stone on that throw but also cancelled the kids night to wear all black shirts on Alcoa Night which was called Black Out which she claimed that may be racist. Two years ago the towns "Crazy Lady ' who is in most people's opiniom a certifiable nut case led a group trying to change the Red Rebel name which has died down now but I can see those two being birds of a feather and wish they would send her down the road before that all gets fired up again. I graduated from Maryville and feel I have every right to display my concerns how pizzed off I am over this type leadership. Many older football fans of Maryville that can't go to the games any longer paid NFHS to see the games they couldn't go to anymore at home only to see nothing most of the time or something only the Three Stooges could have put together.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, cbg said:

Like I said most Tennessee high school football coaches are not smart enough or familiar enough with wrestling to understand how wrestling helps develop better football players.  Not only would I require my football players to wrestle that did not play basketball, I would also make them participate in track & field if they were not on the baseball or soccer team.  The goal is to develop the best and most competitive athletes on the field in order to win state championships.

Too many coaches (not the head football coach) at 825 want kids to specialize. From where I have sat over the last 15 yrs, the specialization is not helping any of sports on the hill. IMO that is more of an Athletic Director issue to resolve. Just like any school, if you are not getting your best players on the team, then you have a better chance at mediocrity than excellence.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, strongx said:

Too many coaches (not the head football coach) at 825 want kids to specialize. From where I have sat over the last 15 yrs, the specialization is not helping any of sports on the hill. IMO that is more of an Athletic Director issue to resolve. Just like any school, if you are not getting your best players on the team, then you have a better chance at mediocrity than excellence.

I totally agree with your assessment. Until kids are juniors and often times seniors you cannot predict what is their best sport.  If schools work together to put the best athletes on the field the whole athletic department benefits.

15 hours ago, strongx said:

30 of the 32 first round picks in last month's NFL draft were multiple sport athletes in high school.  

Any coach of any sport who pressures students to only play his/her sport needs to be publicly called out.  They're selfish and putting their own interests ahead of what is best for the young folks. 

Kids onlhave one opportunity to play high school sports. Play them all.   

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, HTV said:

30 of the 32 first round picks in last month's NFL draft were multiple sport athletes in high school.  

Any coach of any sport who pressures students to only play his/her sport needs to be publicly called out.  They're selfish and putting their own interests ahead of what is best for the young folks. 

Kids onlhave one opportunity to play high school sports. Play them all.   

Often times the head coach does not specifically tell kids not to participate in another sport but they sure don't encourage participation in two or three sports while in high school.  Again, to have a "GREAT ATHLETIC PROGRAM" the various teams must share the athletes.  I have spoken with NFL HOA running back Emmitt Smith about how he would run a track meet in the afternoon and then change uniforms in the back of an old station wagon on the way to a baseball game that night.  Emmitt also played football and basketball, so he was a 4-sport athlete.  While most people hate the man, the very best at helping develop a complete athlete was Major Worsham (Baylor) and Carlton Flatt (Brentwood Academy).  Those two men basically told the good athletes that they were going to play sport X, Y and Z.  Kids need direction and part of that direction is telling them that they are going to participate in multiple sports.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...